Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Interesting Monroe #72245 strut factoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by swartzautoman
echo monroe sensatrac part# for strut is 71575 $68 each and shock part# 5870 $26 each.

ive got them on my box right now with tein s-tech springs.
love the stance and the ride.

im about to swop them out for a set of tein ss+p coilovers, ive only got about 7k on them.

So the Monroes can match up with lowering springs ok? thanks!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

perfect, no problems
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do those work on an xa? I know you can trade them in for replacement if they fail, however the local stores require you to give a vehicle as their parts are vehicle specific vs asking for part numbers at the local part stores. What year echo or scion xb do I need to ask for?

I am getting some lower springs and want to get these better sounding shocks from what Ive read to go with them.

THanks
Old 02-11-2008, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think its the 02 echo
Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 AM

Hey guys, are the Monroe's really all that? I wanna soften up my xB's ride too, but when I checked on the Monroe's with a local speedshop/Monroe distributor, he laughed at me and said that I should get coilovers...??? I plan to lower on Tanabe NF210 springs also. What do I do?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

The speedshop guys laughed cause they want to sell coilovers.
The Monroes will work fine with the NF210s.
People always laugh about stuff that they have no clue.
Asking them about Monroe shocks would be like going to a sporting goods store and asking about a tuxedo.
If you want the best of both worlds get the Konies but they will cost ya.
It all depends on what type of ride quality you want.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hey guys, I have H&R lowering springs on the B and after about a month I think I blew out my front driver side strut. Every time I hit a bump the passenger side sounds normal and the driver side makes a thud. If I order the monroes for the echo, they will work fine with my drop and everything? Also do I have to adjust anything because of the extra weight or can I just throw them right on the car?

Mint
Old 04-20-2008, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Minttoast
Hey guys, I have H&R lowering springs on the B and after about a month I think I blew out my front driver side strut. Every time I hit a bump the passenger side sounds normal and the driver side makes a thud. If I order the monroes for the echo, they will work fine with my drop and everything? Also do I have to adjust anything because of the extra weight or can I just throw them right on the car?

Mint
Make sure the nut holding the top spring assembly did not losen up, that happened to mine once nut was only about a half a turn loose and every bump sounded like it was about to fall apart or bottoming out.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Mint
Kewlbox nailed your "thud" sound. You didn't "blow" a strut. The upper nut coming loose is a common problem. I've had it happen a couple times before I found out about double nutting the dang thing. Tighten the nut then add a second one on top of it to keep it tight. No more thud or blown strut. Problem solved.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

couldn't you just use lock tight?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

You could but good luck clamping vise grips to the strut shaft when it comes time to change springs. This way it is very simple to just remove the top nut first.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you got a point there
Old 04-20-2008, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by kewlbox

Mint
Make sure the nut holding the top spring assembly did not losen up, that happened to mine once nut was only about a half a turn loose and every bump sounded like it was about to fall apart or bottoming out.
You sir, are the MAN. lol

Thank you so much, I was about a hour away from ordering the monroes for the front.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Interesting Monroe #72245 strut factoid

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I just received my new Monroe front struts and guess what? They are freakin Made in Japan.... I'm glad they weren't made in Canada or Mexico...
SensaTracs are made by Tenneco and sold under the Monroe, Sears and NAPA brands. Tenneco is a US company that has their shocks made in factories around the world.
In 2006 I bought SensaTrac front and rear for my xB, and noticed that the boxes said where they were made. I think one was made in Spain and the other in Brazil. Apparently a Japanese factory now has the contract for the front. Look at all the countries with Tenneco Ride Control factories in the link below.
Tenneco is a global leader in emissions and ride control with nearly 80 manufacturing facilities and 14 engineering centers located in 24 countries on six continents.
http://tenneco.com/overview/location.html
Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a question, why Monroe Sensatracs? I mean, my mom had a set on her '89 Grand Damn... Price, quality?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

The key here is the softness. The stock struts/shocks were way too stiff. They made for a terrible ride. All the bumps were driectly transmitted to the vehicle and passangers. I had to constantly email Monroe to get them to bring a better suited set up for the xB. First we dealt with using an Echo rear shock and that helped. Finally they came out with a product that directly fit the xB. Now my xB drives and takes bumps the way it should have when new. The suspension actually soaks them up and allows for comfort. Thanks Monroe for making me love my xB more.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
... I had to constantly email Monroe to get them to bring a better suited set up for the xB. First we dealt with using an Echo rear shock and that helped. Finally they came out with a product that directly fit the xB....
The Echo shocks fitted and worked fine. I think there was a difference with the front strut spring cups being a 1/2" lower, which some people liked. But I see there are now specific part numbers for the Scion xB. For instance...

At Shock Warehouse, http://www.shockwarehouse.com---
2006 Scion xB:
5601 Rear
72245 Front
2002 Toyota Echo (which we used for Scion xB from 2004 until recently):
5987 Rear
71575 Front

Perhaps the new part numbers for xB mean the front spring cup height is now the same as OEM, and maybe the valving is tuned to the higher weight of the xB.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

^^ Exactly right Allan. I'm running the direct replacement #72245 and #5987 in the rear. I didn't want to use the Echo struts up front because of the 1/2 inch lower stance.
Now with the stock springs back on I can drive with complete confidence and comfort.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know the difference between the 5987 and the 5601? I switched to the 5987 before they had anything specifically for the xB.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

That sounds like a good question to email Monroe about. They may give you the complete specs on both.

Quick Reply: Interesting Monroe #72245 strut factoid