First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

It's funny how fast cars hate us

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default It's funny how fast cars hate us

I was driving home in my 2004 xB, just minding my own business when I slowly came upon a new 350Z. Just as I began to pass him (he was going 35, I was doing 40), he FLOORS his car and takes off like a bat out of hell. He then slows down again, I maintained the same speed, and when I was next to him, he redlines it again and takes off.

This guy was driving absolutely normal, in a $30k+ sports car, and he sees a $15k Scion xB and is compelled to remind himself (and apparently me) of the awesome performance of his car...

Do I care? No. But it's funny. This type of thing happens all the time. It just made me laugh to think that I own a cheap economy car that somehow has the power to make people change the way they're driving as soon as they see it. They suddenly have to justify their car buying decision, I guess.

The psychological influence of the xB is amazing.

-THE DON
Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love how since my tC is modified, everyone and their brother thinks I want to race. I can't go through town without cars revving at me at the lights, then making asses of themselves by just flooring it when the light turns green...i just don't get it
Old 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I run into those a lot as well, but I usually ignore them, even when it happens to be a old rusted civic with a huge cooling tower as a exhaust.

A lot of people buy cars like 350Z because they are insecure with themself or something, and they feel the need to prove something. What do you expect, they are just born "small" and are "fast" in all dimensions. Same goes for those little tweetie people driving huge lifted trucks. Sure, they think they are mean and mighty when they are in their cars, but we live in a world where you are not in your car most of the time.

Being a recreational bodybuilder, I love seeing how when I run into those same people in the halls and they won't even lift their head.

At the end of the day, they are still the same small, insecure people that are rubbish at work and useless in bed.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Funny, just the opposite thing happened to me Friday night on the way back from a local car show.
I was driving my '73 Mach I, and an xB pulled up next to me at a light. When it turned green he floored it away - I kind of laughed. Then he slowed down and waited for me to catch up, then did it again! He had (at least) an exhaust on it, but come on!!
If I didn't own a Box myself, it probably wouldn't have been so hilarious!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I had one of those encounters too. I was in the city and a TL pulls up to me. When the light changed, I went, but apparently quicker than he expected... I get to the next light and he's all hot and bothered, he floors it and is easily going 30 over the limit. Then I pulled up to the same light and started laughing.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I have had the same thing happen to me a few times, on the freeway and at stoplights. I just cracks me up, I know my car is slow and not much is going to change that. LOL.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can you say little dick syndrome? hahaha! sometimes i want to tell these idiots, "if i wanted to race, i would be at the track! i know your car's faster then mine, but you don't get 32+ mpg and you certaintly didn't get your car brand new for under 20k!!!"
Old 10-08-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also have a neighbor who owns a big Hemi truck with an exhaust. He drives normal all the time unless I'm in the alley washing my car, then he suddenly feels the need to do burn-outs as he leaves his garage. Makes absolutely no sense.

-THE DON
Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Sounds like our xB are doing exactly as they were designed to do. Travel in STYLE, beats speed every time.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

i always usually get jacked up corollas or any other jacked up little cars that do that to me. it makes me laugh all the time.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did a ricer fly-by past a '67 Vette in a 2000 Olds Silhouette on the highway. He thought it was pretty funny and gave me a thumbs up as he flew past me.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't keep the honda's and tiburon's away from me. The most recent one was a White Merceded CLS with a sport package, body kit, and 20" chrome rims started antagonizing my tC and my friends tC. We decided to accelerate with him on an open interstate and left him behind us several times. It's alway fun to put a car to shame that spent $67,000 on the car and who knows what for the other crap. I know street racing is highly frowned upon, but this was done on an interstated 3 lanes wide and that there weren't any other cars in sight and began at a 40mph roll. Ahh nevermind...haters will flame.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by SickleCell
The most recent one was a White Merceded CLS with a sport package, body kit, and 20" chrome rims started antagonizing my tC and my friends tC. We decided to accelerate with him on an open interstate and left him behind us several times. It's alway fun to put a car to shame that spent $67,000 on the car and who knows what for the other crap. I know street racing is highly frowned upon, but this was done on an interstated 3 lanes wide and that there weren't any other cars in sight and began at a 40mph roll. Ahh nevermind...haters will flame.
The only real reason to flame you is because it sounds like you honestly believe you walked away from the CLS!!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Their lowest powered CLS, the 350, puts out 272/258.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

its happened to me in my tC, but only after I changed my stock hood to my C/F hood.

See for over a year I was "stock" with my S/C, and on the exterior I looked like every other tC out there ( and i liked it that way ) but due to a twist of fate, I was forced to get a new hood, and then all of a sudden I had cars "throwing revs" at me or trying to race me.... funny how a C/F hood can make people act that way. ( Only reason why I got a C/F hood was that it was going to cost the same as an OEM hood painted CSM )
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoxOffice
The most recent one was a White Merceded CLS with a sport package, body kit, and 20" chrome rims started antagonizing my tC and my friends tC. We decided to accelerate with him on an open interstate and left him behind us several times. It's alway fun to put a car to shame that spent $67,000 on the car and who knows what for the other crap. I know street racing is highly frowned upon, but this was done on an interstated 3 lanes wide and that there weren't any other cars in sight and began at a 40mph roll. Ahh nevermind...haters will flame.
The only real reason to flame you is because it sounds like you honestly believe you walked away from the CLS!!!!
I run just a hair slower than stock manual 350Z's with a decent driver. The big ___ chrome wheels on the CLS were apparently an issue for him and he may have been an automatic, but he did take the time to slow from 85 down to 40 and accelerate to 120 before slowing to 40 again. Plenty of witnesses that were caravaning behind us because we just left a show. Yes that car has 40 more hp and 22lb more torque than I do, but it also weighs 1100lbs more and is adding maybe 25lbs per wheel to the lag in acceleration.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I was in California, I used to get the honda guys trying to race me all the time- but now that Im in Michigan, I get all of these guys in their monster trucks revving really loud and cutting me off. ...I also constantly have some idiot, with like 3 teeth in his head, at gas stations yelling "Where do you put the rice in?!".
I don't really care, but it is funny how people can be so bothered by a vehicle that is smaller than one of the wheels on their f-150.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those always freak me out.... on the roadways I wonder how well the can see me.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
Yes that car has 40 more hp and 22lb more torque than I do, but it also weighs 1100lbs more and is adding maybe 25lbs per wheel to the lag in acceleration.
Um Sickle, How do you figure your making 232?
From what I can tell your only engine mod is like an oil cap and a grounding kit?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by typhoonorchid
Originally Posted by CDogbert
Yes that car has 40 more hp and 22lb more torque than I do, but it also weighs 1100lbs more and is adding maybe 25lbs per wheel to the lag in acceleration.
Um Sickle, How do you figure your making 232?
From what I can tell your only engine mod is like an oil cap and a grounding kit?

Quick Reply: It's funny how fast cars hate us