It's funny how fast cars hate us

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: It's funny how fast cars hate us

Originally Posted by THE_DON
I was driving home in my 2004 xB, just minding my own business when I slowly came upon a new 350Z. Just as I began to pass him (he was going 35, I was doing 40), he FLOORS his car and takes off like a bat out of hell. He then slows down again, I maintained the same speed, and when I was next to him, he redlines it again and takes off.

This guy was driving absolutely normal, in a $30k+ sports car, and he sees a $15k Scion xB and is compelled to remind himself (and apparently me) of the awesome performance of his car...

Do I care? No. But it's funny. This type of thing happens all the time. It just made me laugh to think that I own a cheap economy car that somehow has the power to make people change the way they're driving as soon as they see it. They suddenly have to justify their car buying decision, I guess.

The psychological influence of the xB is amazing.

-THE DON
The same thing happened today when I was coming home from work. Instead of a 350Z, it was an STi. It totally smoked me of course, and I could hear its blow off valve and everything so in the very least, he had that coolness factor going for him. I caught up to him at the next light and I hollered out the window "Hey that's a nice car", he smiles and raced off at a godlike speed when it turned green
Old 10-16-2007, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So im riding on the interstate and i see in my mirrors that there is a pretty nice 350z speedin up behind me. Im in the center lane and when he got up beside me he slowed down and told me to roll down my window. It was a highschool kid and his friend. He asked me to race and i simply laughed at his stupidity, shook my head no, rolled up the window, and continued drivin at 70 mph.

I guese he was intimidated by $18000 car that was pretty much stock at the time. If he wanted a race he should have tried to race my friend in his g35 that was a few cars back. I guese he was just scared of the G and had to try to show his man hood on a slower car.

I dont get people like that
Old 10-16-2007, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

one thing i miss about my Grand Prix GTP... kinda miss smoking $30k+ cars in a car i payed only 4500 for and only put a few hundred dollars worth of mods into...
Old 10-16-2007, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always get Honda's and other imports revving at me when when I'm out in the xB, I guess since I have rims and an exhaust they think I want to play. The other day I had a ratted/riced out red mid 90's 4 door Civic with a badly fitting fart cannon try and race me in stop and go traffic when I was on my way to work, I mean the fastest he could have gotten up to was maybe 30 before he rear ended someone.

It's kind of funny really because people are completely different when I'm driving my SS Camaro, nobody ever really tries to race me and the idiots who would normally try to cut me off stay away. When I first got the xB it was driving me nuts how differently people treated the box, now I've just gotten used to it.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Boy, am I glad I don't live closer to some of you guys, with all the B.S. flying around!
First a guy says he smoked a Mercedes CLS with a mildly modded Box, now this:

Originally Posted by MixedWun
funny you mention this. It happened to me today on the way home. This brand new mazda3 goes 70 in a 45 out of the light and looks at me as though "ya im cool". sooooooooooooo being the young retard i am next light i smoked him . Once i hit 60, he i stopped and he keep to about 80 .........and a cop was down the street. Wonder how that ticket is gonna taste .
Even a base Mazda 3 does 0-60 in 7.3, vs. an xB at 10.6!
(These specific numbers from car and driver mag. Your numbers may vary - but not enough to make up an over 3 second deficit! )
Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

It was getting kinda deep!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These stories are funny....It happens to me a lot too...I guess when you pull up to a stoplight in a Boxy Economy car it strikes fear in everyone's heart and they have to prove they are faster...lol
Old 10-17-2007, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

minivans tend to be some of the worse, and trucks... hahaha
Old 10-17-2007, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't hate lol. I usually only mess with 350z's, STi's/Wrx's.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My girlfriend has a 2006 sonata (235hp)-when she rides in my car she asks if the hamsters can go any faster-used to kind of bother me.

I have driven light, small perf cars most of my life and to have any sort of chance in beating people you just have to use your head.

On my daily commute there are 3 lights in a row before the highway entrance. The first one people try to pull up and race. I play along to the second light and then we wait together, then I rev slightly, let them get the jump and then I drive 26 mph to the last light as they get there and stop, tripping the light to change-I glide right through accelerating (timed the lights) and hit the bottom of the entrance at 35 (as they are just starting to roll) and I end up way ahead as they drive insanely to try to catch me. I merge at 55 and am like 3-8 cars ahead and they can't catch up in the next 2 miles until I turn off due to traffic.

Basically one guy in an STi had enough that he got me (like that's not an obvious difference) but even one guy in an older 911 still didn't catch me-I'll bet his girlfriend that was with him was not impressed.....
Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member

yeah man seriously, everyone knows the scion is slow they just want an ego boost like a 7v1 comp stomp in starcraft. But yeah, like everyone else says I just use the bass to get them more ____ed off when we hit traffic on the 405.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We don't want ego boosts. We're just jealous that you guys get better gas mileage than us.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I don't think this thread pertains to the tC. No hating on them. Just curious why tC owners are jumping in on this discussion?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe they think that a thread relating to fast cars for some reason relates to them, hahaha, j/k...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by EasysBox
maybe they think that a thread relating to fast cars for some reason relates to them, hahaha, j/k...
Oh snap!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look at my profile, i don't drive a tC.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:11 AM

Not even the tC drivers can stay away from the glamor of the toaster!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol this happened to me when i was driving on the freeway in the carpool lane with my GF. there was a guy in a cobra doing 70 and i was doing 75 and as i pull level with him, he floors it and flys off...then i catch up to him again and he does the same thing over and over. it's rather amusing and sad at the same time
Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by andino
lol this happened to me when i was driving on the freeway in the carpool lane with my GF. there was a guy in a cobra doing 70 and i was doing 75 and as i pull level with him, he floors it and flys off...then i catch up to him again and he does the same thing over and over. it's rather amusing and sad at the same time
But were you in a tC or a box? If you were in your tC this thread doesn't apply to you.
A turbo tC could prolly do well against a stock cobra stang.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Where I live there kid with a Ion Redline, when ever I am in my xB he is trying to race me. That car has double the power, of course it is going to beat me. One day I was out in my other car, 1999 Carmaro SS with a little more than the 320 horse claimed by chevy and happened to pull up next to him, I gave the car a little rev, trust me you can hear it (thanks SLP) and he was acting like he couldn't see me. I don't race on the streets, I was giving this kid crap, I hope he realized how annoying it is when a faster car is trying to prove something to you.

Quick Reply: It's funny how fast cars hate us