Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

It's gotta be a record... Windshield cracked

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default It's gotta be a record... Windshield cracked

I know not another windshield thread....

Just got the new xB. Picked it up over lunch. The next morning driving on the highway a rock hit the windshield. I only had the car for 16 hours! How long did it take for you guys to crack your windshield?

Here's my proof.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Wow! That sucks big time...
I have a couple of "chips" but no cracks yet...
Old 07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

People having problems with cracked windows are just driving with reckless abandon. If you just drive and not worry about anything, this is what happens.
Me I am always watching for potential dangers. I position myself in traffic to avoid this kind of damage. It's something you have to make a conscience effort to do each time you drive the xB. Otherwise you will be replacing your windshield quite often.
My original windshield has one very small chip and many micro pits but zero cracks yet (knock on wood). This is after 30K miles. Damage can be avoided but you have to be careful how you drive your xB.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my car for 2.5 years, and 50K miles - and no cracks here.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well at least it hit the winshield and not the paint. The windshield is an easy repair.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Alan
Well at least it hit the winshield and not the paint. The windshield is an easy repair.
I was fix'n to say that. I have one like that and it hit the A pillar instead of the glass
Old 07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jethro_b
People having problems with cracked windows are just driving with reckless abandon. If you just drive and not worry about anything, this is what happens.
Me I am always watching for potential dangers. I position myself in traffic to avoid this kind of damage. It's something you have to make a conscience effort to do each time you drive the xB. Otherwise you will be replacing your windshield quite often.
My original windshield has one very small chip and many micro pits but zero cracks yet (knock on wood). This is after 30K miles. Damage can be avoided but you have to be careful how you drive your xB.
That's a pretty bold statement. I'm on my second new windshield and I make a lot of effort to try and stay out of harm's way. My OEM windshield took most of it's damage from trucks passing me on 2 lane highways going the other direction. You don't have to be behind someone to get hit my a pebble. I also spend a lot of time on the interstate and it's much harder to negotiate safe travel at those speeds and with truckers in particular who don't care about you other than not to flat out run you over. The windshield I just replaced was victim to a dump truck that had been carrying gravel. He passed me and moved in front of me. I slowed down to try and prevent having any unnecessary debris hit my car. I thought I was already back at a relatively safe distance when the truck hit a bump in the road and still had pebbles resting on the back edges of the truck. I watched in slow motion as they lept from the truck bounced off the road and targeted my car. They left a few chips in the paint and a pretty nasty spider below the windshield wiper on the passenger side. It took a few months but the shift to hot summer weather turned the spider into a huge crack and now I have a pretty new windshield,again.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Sorry to hear that Chad. You know there is always exceptions to every rule Do Do Happens. Sometimes it's where you live and drive that raises your risk factor for chips.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member

Reckless abandon?

You can try and avoid potential dangers all day long, but look what happened to Chad. I was on a three lane highway and it was raining. I wasn't tailgating or following a gravel truck. There was just normal early morning traffic around. Any car or truck in front of you can kick up a rock. And at highway speeds it might do some damage. The only reason it cracked was that it was less than inch from the edge of the glass. I am just glad it didn't take a chuck of paint out of my a pillar.

I don't want to get us off the topic, I just wanted to see if anyone else has a similar story to tell.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats worse than my nieghbor throwing his bis a$$ camaro door into mine

truly sucks
Old 07-03-2006, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is still good.Sorry to hear about your luck.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Jethro--I love ya baby---but you don't have to drive in LA traffic. You can be stopped in traffic and have a dirt hauler or garbage truck rumble by you and deposit a load on you. You can encounter a Santa Ana wind at 90 miles an hour come up from no where and for no apparent reason. I have not had my windshield crack yet,but it has all sorts of nicks on it. I go out of my way to avoid gravel trucks--but there is just no way to get away from all of them...........
Old 07-03-2006, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I make sure to drive on one particular road every day to and from work that has irrigation and I avoid driving on the interstate at all cost.

Getting off work at 3am makings a HUGE difference for me also.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Thanks OldYeller, I can feel the love . I realize sometimes there is just no way to avoid everything. But I have a feeling some people (not all) are driving these things like any other car and don't really know what it takes to avoid some of the things that are detrimental to the well being of our near vertical windshields.
I often take different routes to avoid certain kinds of danger that would otherwise do damage to my xB. Even if it takes longer to get there. I'm hoping my original one lasts another couple years. I'm dreading the risk of paint damage when it needs to be replaced.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member

Default Another windshield cracked

I had less than 2000 miles when my windshield cracked. The point of impact was so miniscule I couldn't even see where it had been hit originally. As far as comments about people who get cracked windshields in xb's driving carelessly, umm, I've been driving for 20 years and never had a cracked windshield. I get an xb and in under 2 months I get a crack. Then I find out other people are having problems.... c'mon man.

I don't have glass coverage because I didn't even know there was such a thing. Never needed it. I bought a new car to avoid all the extra incidental payments, and now this. I am going to my dealer and I expect a new windshield. Period.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

taris, sorry to tell you but there is no way they (the dealer) is going to cover the windshield under warranty. It'd be nice but not gonna happen.
It just seems like people are having problems because the frigging windshield is near vertical. They will all have to be EXTRA careful where they position themselves in relationship to possible hazzards on the road. It's a pain in the butt but comes along with the territory of owning a BOX ON WHEELS.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks OldYeller, I can feel the love . I realize sometimes there is just no way to avoid everything. But I have a feeling some people (not all) are driving these things like any other car and don't really know what it takes to avoid some of the things that are detrimental to the well being of our near vertical windshields.
I often take different routes to avoid certain kinds of danger that would otherwise do damage to my xB. Even if it takes longer to get there. I'm hoping my original one lasts another couple years. I'm dreading the risk of paint damage when it needs to be replaced.
Not all of us live in PoDunk Tennessee. I live in an area that's going through a housing boom of sorts. That means about 90% of the time I have to share the freeway with gravel trucks. The only way to avoid them is to stay off the freeway, which isn't an option where I live.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by cvrefugee
Not all of us live in PoDunk Tennessee. I live in an area that's going through a housing boom of sorts. That means about 90% of the time I have to share the freeway with gravel trucks. The only way to avoid them is to stay off the freeway, which isn't an option where I live.
I feel ya on the gravel trucks. I live in gravel capitol. Practically every other vehicle on the road here is a gravel truck. What they do with that much chert is beyond me. They are everywhere traveling in sometimes carravans of 5 or 6 trucks at a time. What the hell is Podunk anyhow?
Old 07-03-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Knock on wood, I havent had a crack yet,
but I have suffered them in previous cars, due to a heavy commute on the highway, I definately try to be carefull especially around dump trucks, but as one said, "doo doo happens"

Out of Curiosity what does a windshield run for an XB, for one who does not carry a glass rider
Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I've heard around 250ish. My deductable on glass with Geico is like 50 bucks if I ever need one though.

Quick Reply: It's gotta be a record... Windshield cracked