Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

It's gotta be a record... Windshield cracked

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member

Default dealer

yeah, you're right, jethrob, the dealer wouldn't do anything, but they did give me a number to call and the woman who answered seemed to say toyota/scion knew it was a problem and bla bla they will call me on wed. For most, it's probably not a big deal because of insurance covering it.

Anyway, this being my first couple of posts I don't want to sound down on the xb. I am glad I bought it. I enjoy reading what people are doing to modify their xb's as well.

Taris
Old 07-03-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: dealer

Originally Posted by taris
yeah, you're right, jethrob, the dealer wouldn't do anything, but they did give me a number to call and the woman who answered seemed to say toyota/scion knew it was a problem and bla bla they will call me on wed. For most, it's probably not a big deal because of insurance covering it.

Anyway, this being my first couple of posts I don't want to sound down on the xb. I am glad I bought it. I enjoy reading what people are doing to modify their xb's as well.

Taris
Thats it exactly. The xB is a hellofacar and the windsield hazzard is one of the few drawbacks. Enjoy it and hope for the best. Driving an xB in traffic is just extra work looking out for potential windshield danger. You always have to be on guard all the time!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually the record ive seen was the xB was still on the dealer lot and it got crackd! it was funny/sad. they were doing construction on the freeway and somethin flew up and hit.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteyd
actually the record ive seen was the xB was still on the dealer lot and it got crackd! it was funny/sad. they were doing construction on the freeway and somethin flew up and hit.
Wow, that is crazy!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: It's gotta be a record... Windshield cracked

Originally Posted by P-Diddy
... driving on the highway a rock hit the windshield.
Were there any other cars or trucks around?
Were you behind one?
How close?

I stay far behind trucks, and drop back if one gets in front. It's the dump trucks barreling at me on a two-lane highway that worrisome because unavoidable. If they hit a bump, stuff will shake off them with a closing speed of over 100 mph.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn that blows. I still have yet to get a crack. just passed 11k on it other day. (knock on wood). Figured on my 2500 miler from cali to ohio it was bound to happen. nope!!! driving in the girls element the other day (shes had it about a month now) BAAAM!!!! rock hits the windsheild.. and gets stuck in the glass!! she is not to happy
Old 07-03-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I try not to follow too close, especially behind semis hauling earth moving machinery. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do about it.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: It's gotta be a record... Windshield cracked

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by P-Diddy
... driving on the highway a rock hit the windshield.
Were there any other cars or trucks around?
Were you behind one?
How close?
vintage,

First of all it was raining, so I wasn't tail gating or driving crazy. There was a Ford "Exploder" in front of me. I did pass a few trucks as I made my way down the freeway. It must have been a rock from them, but kicked up my the SUV. Right when I heard the hit, I looked down at the odometer. 170 miles.

I am also glad I got a clear bra installed. Anything to protect the front of the flat faced box. With all the highway driving my wife and I do, I can't imagine what the front of the xB would look like with 60k miles on it. It can't be pretty.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was about 6 months before i got my first chip. i hate speeding Semi's with flying debris
Old 07-04-2006, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Tough break about the windshield!
Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got you beat. when i got my scion i drove off the lot and got onto the highway and not more than getting a mile down the road some ***hole passed me and flicked a rock and put this nice little chip in my window. i was so ____ed, didnt even have my new car for 5 minutes and BOOM chipped window. oh well im used to it, as all my driving is highway.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member

Default whats up with doggin semi-trucks

Seems like every other post is blaming big trucks for their glass problems. How about taking a look at the design and position of the windsheild. Its pretty flat and almost up right. Things will hit it. I have a rock chip, right in my line of sight, that was caused by another xB, but you dont see me blaming the other driver. He didnt put the stone on the road and gravel trucks are not the only ones that can leave rocks there. To avoid the run in the glass I took it right to the local audio shop and had it sealed for $25. I can hardly notice it. I havent seen anyone mention that they had there windsheild sealed. Look guys, I used to drive a truck and still do from time to time, and I can tell you truck drivers are not trying to be jerks. They have a job to do and getting there on time is part of it. Remember everything you own came on a big truck, even you Scion.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it isn't the design of the windshield. i mean look at say a lowered tacoma , nearly flat low to the ground nearly straight up and down windsield. they aren't getting crazy rock damage. scions are cheap so they use cheap parts....
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Knock on wood, none yet!!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im going to get glass coverage after seeing this thread.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member

When I was in the finance office, I got the hard sell on some sort of "Diamond Coating" for the windshield. I wondered if that would have made a difference. I think the coating is like an industrial RainX or something.

I'm sure my insurance company will get to know me pretty well. At least I have a zero deductible on my glass coverage. A side note... Our other car (Civic) had a chip in the glass on the passenger side. I had the glass company come out to fill it on Monday and the technician cracked the windshield. I was just trying to save my insurance company some money by having it filled. Now they will have to replace it. Oh well, that is why we have insurance.

I am glad I don't hold the record. Thanks K-I-S-S!

I still wouldn’t trade the xB for anything! No regrets!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I went out to to my xB at lunch today and there was a crack that wasn't there this morning when I left it???? and no chip where the crack started (on the edge inder the trim)? Just cracked???

Is this a warrente issue? anyone else have it just crack?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member

this isn't the first thread on windshields. If someone could direct me on how to find the other, older threads that were suddenly "locked" it would be appreciated.

Taris
Old 07-07-2006, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had my box 2.5 yrs... 9 or 10 cracks... luckily no spreading.... my favorite is the one UNDER my windshield wiper... that I got in the rain and I got some how in the few seconds the wiper was up.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 48,000 miles on mine and JUST got a chip in it. Like a 7mm point of impact, but it is longer under the glass. I have rocks hit the windshield all the time and this was the first chip. One got my A piller good, and another got my little back window trim too. yea you know the one. The one on the rear passenger door, that doesnt roll down.

Quick Reply: It's gotta be a record... Windshield cracked