Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

I've given up on 30mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another thing is that if you pump the gas slowly some pumps will not measure the fuel correctly and it means that you probably get MORE gas than it says as much as a cup per gallon more. I thinkI got almost a gallon on a pump one time - will be going back and trying it again soon and see if it does it again - took 9.7 gallons to fill and it should have been about 10.4 gallons
Old 12-07-2006, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Wow you all are getting some crazy gas mileage. More air in the tires I run about 38psi. Change your tranny oil to something better - that can get you about 4 mpg more right away. Lay off the brakes and back off the gas sooner when you have to stop. I average in the low 40's ALL the time except on a cold windy trip to Maine and back in one day when I got 37mpg OUCH! I do some 20-30 mile trips and get 50mpg with some highway and low speed 35mph roads. I have a little over 10k on my 06xB and broke it in easy light throttle but rev it once in a while. Start it up and drive really easy until it warms up. Accelerate briskly giving just enough throttle to stay in each gear for a few (3-5) seconds - if you give too much you can feel it get less responsive and bog down a little - back off from that point and it will still get great mileage. It seems to work best in the 1500-2000 rpm range - reving up to 4k is going to waste a lot of gas but if you do it quickly it is not too bad. Big thing is to back off the gas to allow the valve and ignition timing to adjust to more efficient settings. Keep the body clean and waxed and it helps too. No need for high test unless you are blowing extra air into it. You guys in the hot parts of the country have an advantage - cold air makes a lot more drag. I typically get into 5th at 25mph but if there is no need to accelerate or have a little down hill I will be in 5th at 20mph and give it just a little gas and let it build up speed slowly. Usually I take off when it is cold without any gas at all until the idle drops and have to give it some gas. I recommend getting a ScanGauge if you want to really see what is going on with your mileage.
This ScanGuage, is this one of those gauges that show you mileage real time? That is not average MPG, as I'm sure you know. A friend has a gauge like that in his Volvo, and if he coasts for a little while, he can get over 70 mpg. It's just not a practical way to estimate mpg, or drive imo.

Also, I would not put my car in overdrive by 20 mph. That can't be good for the car. You have to get it in to it's proper rpm range. It's just booging down. Doesn't seem to me that our xB's are made to run at such low rpm's. Maybe it's the vvti that will allow it to run at such low rpm's, and get the mileage numbers you are talking about, but small engines make the most efficient horsepower and mileage at higher rpm's. Sounds like you are strickly looking for mileage efficientcy and no power efficientcy. Maybe?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The SG shows Instant and Current average (since engine was started) as well as Today average (several starts and stops of engine) and Tank average (since last fillup) MPG. So yes instant can be "all over the place" but that is how you tell what gives you better mileage - Idling at 0 mph gets you 0 mpg but if you are moving 10 mph and burning 0.1 gph then you are getting 100 mpg and that my friend is real and brings up the average. How else do I get 450 miles on a 11 gallon fillup? 250 miles to half a tank!

As far as going 20mph in 5th that comes out to 1000 rpm a fast idle and yes you don't have drag races at that speed or go up steep hills but if the engine is not shaking and rattling all over the place then it is just fine - it's not like I run at that speed for hours - if I did I would be getting like 60-70 mpg in fact it gets better mileage at about 30 mph for longer distances because it gets a little better lubrication. Then if I throw a rev in there is seems to loosen up and the mileage gets even better for a while - maybe it cleans off the O2 sensor or something I don't know. I do know that a buddy of mine borrowed my SG1 and used if for a few weeks in his tC and is now getting 5 more mpg went from 25 to 30 mpg because he could see when he was wasting gas and how to drive it more efficiently. Actually I drove it back from the grocery store with him the first time we hooked it up and got 36mpg in his tC. A lot of it is just a really light touch on the gas pedal to keep it running slow and steady.

I drove a Prius that another friend bought used this year - she gets 38-50 mpg until she gets on the highway I drove it one day and got 57mpg to my house to change the oil and got 67mpg coming back. The trick with the Prius is giving it just the right amount of gas to get the electric going but not any more to start the ICE and believe it is a really fine touch between the two. You would think they would have had a detent in the gas pedal. Funniest thing was going over the Newport bridge and coming down the Jamestown side regen braking to stop at the toll booth fully charged the battery and the regen brakes cut out just as I was about to toss the token into the basket.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One way to improve fuel efficiency in urban driving is to organize your trips so that the engine stays warm. This might be as simple as driving trips ABCD one after the other instead of on different days; you can get a bit more obsessive about making the first trip the longest (so the engine gets warmest), and timing the trips according to how long you'll be stopped at each one.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I baby my xB because I has some kinda MPG maximizer gene that got implanted in me as I left the Scion dealership.

I have 3,500 mile and have logged each tank. This seems pretty typical for the automatic (I think??). BTW- The xB hated going down the freeway with a strong headwind. MPG was 22.17 on that tank.

Standard
Data Summarys Deviations
# of Tanks: 12.00
Ave Gals/Fillup: 7.79 1.19
Ave MPG: 28.07 2.32

Ave Miles/Tank: 218.24 36.97
Ave Days/Tank: 4.00 2.72

Tank Maximums
MPG: 30.18
Gals: 9.00
Miles: 257.00
Price: $19.62

Tank Minimums
MPG: 22.17
Gals: 4.61
Miles: 133.90
Price: $9.86
Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah headwinds and heavy rain really slow the xB down since most of the drag is aero. You still have some more breaking in to do and some better MPG to reach . . . I am getting about 13 more miles per gallon than your max. - Join GasSavers - it's lonely over there with only 1 xB and a bunch of Yarii!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member

plenty of xbs here

http://fueleconomy.gov/
Old 12-12-2006, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not so much interaction there, though.

I'd really love a way to quantify the kind of driving we all do, so it would be easier to compare. Straight per-tank averages are bound to vary widely, since we all do different amounts of city/suburb/country/freeway driving, not to mention how eager (or not) we all are on the gas.

I'd love to have Jan06xB drive the same routes I do, so I could see how much is the roads, and how much driving technique.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

currently i get 31-33mpg. xa auto. the only thing that i have done to get better gas mileage was install a lightened crank pulley. i got up to 38mpg on a tank of gas at times and nothing less than 34mpg in the city. as soon as i took the pulley off it dropped back down to 31-33mpg. the k&n typhoon made do difference in mpg, only a little to power, the magnaflow did nothing to gas mileage, only a little more race sounding and slight power, the ngk iridium plugs did nothing but cost me more money than stock plugs, and the eibachs.... well they made it more fun to drive. so the point is that if you want more mpg and the feel of more pep than get a billet pulley, my old one was a cnr and it was good. the new pulley, perrin, has not been put on yet.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightened crank pulley huh same size or smaller?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny thing is I was just talking to someone about the same thing. It really repends on how I drive, if I drive like a donkey, I get somewhere around 24 MPG, but if I take my time on first gear, and drive a bit more sanely, I get approximately 310 miles to the tank, that's about 30 (rough calculations). This is mostly on city driving at 55 or less... now if I take it on the highway, that's where I get the worst, I've gotten as low as 22 (I was kinda driving 90-95 MPH) and things definitely don't go so well with a strong headwind, but tis the price I pay for driving a box. As much as I complian I still think about different cars and the gas mileage they make... and I feel better, here we are complaining on low to high 20s when most of the U.S. would love it (SUV drivers anyone?)
Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't be so fast to knock SUV at least the Grand Voyager v6 I drove got 29mpg to Logan airport all mostly highway but you have to take it easy - got a bit less - 24 coming back fully loaded with people and not so easy driving. A lot of it is driving technique - lay off the brake better yet drive like you have no brakes and don't be down shifting to slow down and you will get much better gas mileage. Yeah driving 90-95 will kill ya mileage I haven't been over 87mph yet and that was down hill to get it up to speed quicker. Boy it was quick too - better yet do it with a tail wind and it won't hurt the mileagea much at all.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
... it gets better mileage at about 30 mph for longer distances because it gets a little better lubrication. ...
Better mileage at 30 mph because of better lubrication?
I would think it's more likely because the engine is using the minimum possible throttle and RPMs to move the car the most distance, at a speed where wind resistance is low.

You can hold 30 mph in 5th (1500 RPM) if the ground is level with no traffic or headwind. If you could hold that for several hours, you might see 60 MPG, but of course 30 in 5th can only be held for a few minutes in practice.

I have gotten 42 MPG on two tanks by holding 55-60 mph on Interstate. trips. I tried to beat that by holding 50-55 mph on a 2-lane road, but only got 37 MPG. That was because of all the speed variations and throttle changes and gear shifting that the hills and curves and little towns required.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah better lubrication than at 20mph LOL that's what I mean - Yeah I have to hold below 30 around here the speed limit is 25mph and has been since the beginning of speed limtis in this country - Newport had the first speed limits in the USA and they have not changed.

I did almost 100 miles at 30-40 mph and got 50mpg so it is possible - you just have to be NOT IN A HURRY!! LOL

I did 32.2 miles Sunday morning on all back roads for 1.1 hours and got 46.6 mpg with a little cross wind. Coming back the total for the day was 47.6 mpg 62.6 miles.

As far as the minimum speed in 5th yeah I go up 9 degree hills at 25-30 all the time as long as I am alone - add another person and I have to down shift - been doing ok with a full tank of gas and some other stuff in the back so it is not too bad. One of the added benefits of running Synlube is the great lubrication at low rpms compared to dyno oils and you are not relying on the oil film to provide lubrication instead there is a coating of solid lubricants on the metal parts (cylinders and rings) to reduce the friction.

42 on the highway is really good and is about the max that I can get unless there is a tail wind or a lot of traffic pushing the air in front of me.

The VVTi engine is really efficient at low power levels compared to any other engine out there using as little as 0.1gph compared to .4-.6gph (gallons per hour) at idle for other engines so with those low losses at low power output you can go slow to reduce the aero drag and get great mileage. Anyone notice how easily the xA and xB roll in neutral? They have great wheel bearings too.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

im sorry but all of these gas saving methods take the joy out of driving the car. i drive the car pretty hard, dont have to worry about a trail of other drivers forming behind me. and i return 30mpg every time. JUST DRIVE THE CAR!

all of this low speed, slow acceleration stuff is going to end up leaving massive carbon build up in your engine. have fun with that.

why dont you guys that are mileage obsessed get a Prius, that on board computer takes car of all the math for you and puts it into graphs and everything. or even better, get a VW TDI (if you can find one) and blow the Prius out of the water. my father has a Jetta TDI and regularly returns 49mpg with about 60/40 city highway. on a 600 mile road trip (round trip) he got 54mpg at ~75mph. read this article from autoweek and see, hybrids are all hype, the real deal is diesel.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...73265744401028
Old 12-12-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i drive like a bat out of hell and i still get in the high 20's low 30's

for those of you getting low mpg have you installed a cold air intake or any exaust upgrades..before i put in my cold air i had the same problem. and i'm always going 80mph + and always shifiting at 4000rpm
Old 12-12-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
im sorry but all of these gas saving methods take the joy out of driving the car. i drive the car pretty hard, dont have to worry about a trail of other drivers forming behind me. and i return 30mpg every time. JUST DRIVE THE CAR!

all of this low speed, slow acceleration stuff is going to end up leaving massive carbon build up in your engine. have fun with that.

why dont you guys that are mileage obsessed get a Prius, that on board computer takes car of all the math for you and puts it into graphs and everything. or even better, get a VW TDI (if you can find one) and blow the Prius out of the water. my father has a Jetta TDI and regularly returns 49mpg with about 60/40 city highway. on a 600 mile road trip (round trip) he got 54mpg at ~75mph. read this article from autoweek and see, hybrids are all hype, the real deal is diesel.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...73265744401028
See at least for me, the reason I worry about all this is simple, I cannot afford 25 for a prius (usually the price down here... cheap, with the markup, seen those things go for the high 20's and the camry for the mid 30s) I have to pay for my gas, which in Miami is costing about 2.30 (cheap places) a gallon. I totally agree that the car is fun, that's why I bought it, and every once in a while I gun it. But if it means I have to sacrifice a little fun to pay the bills, so be it. P.S. I totally agree with you on the diesel, drove the Jetta TDI and was very impressed, but alas, there will be far and few diesels in between due to increased government regulation.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

im really upset with what the govnt did to the diesel cars...my dads is a 2000 and its an awesome car. problem free (yes all you non-believers, other companys make relaible cars)

I was planning to bet a TDI jetta, but im not a fan of the new style Jetta V and a Jetta IV TDI is impossible to find with less then 200,000 miles on it.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is important to note that diesel's get great gas mileage at the expense of the environment.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

thats what everyone says. i get 30mph, my dad gets 50mpg. But is he really polluting 66% more then me? it also depends on what pollutant you measure. go ask Europe what does more damage.

Quick Reply: I've given up on 30mpg