Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

I've given up on 30mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lufoxe
Originally Posted by HolyHeck
I got 35 mpg going 85 mph on my last trip, and got over 40 mpg when I was going around 70!
No offense... but I'm gonna call BS on that one. I just finished driving from Miami to Orlando, my speed never went over 85, I didn't do any hard accelerating, never got over 3,000 (Until I got to the higher speeds even then I was ~3500) and drove nice and smooth. I got 25 MPG. when I go 70 is when I usually get around 29-30 MPG, but not 40, and definately not 35 MPG going 85.
Why would I lie? This is not bs, and I don't appreciate you calling me a liar.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holyheck, if I meant that you were a liar. I would have said you are a liar, I just find that comment to hard to believe from personal experience. I usually drive at those speeds when I take trips to Orlando. I've driven it with no wind, head wind and tail wind, as well as with rain. I have never achieved those MPGs that you have stated. Not even when drafting a trucks. Like I said before, if I thought you were a liar I would have gone right out and said it. That's the way I am in person, and that does not changed online.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holyheck, if I meant that you were a liar. I would have said you are a liar, I just find that comment to hard to believe from personal experience. I usually drive at those speeds when I take trips to Orlando. I've driven it with no wind, head wind and tail wind, as well as with rain. I have never achieved those MPGs that you have stated. Not even when drafting a trucks. Like I said before, if I thought you were a liar I would have gone right out and said it. That's the way I am in person, and that does not changed online.
Maybe it has something to do with how he calculates milage.

I know that I cannot hit 40 MPG regardless of driving style, wind, etc. And BELIEVE me, I have tried. Best was 37.9 MPG and that was keeping the speed at 58-60MPH doing 90%+ freeway driving.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Maybe it has something to do with how he calculates milage.

I know that I cannot hit 40 MPG regardless of driving style, wind, etc. And BELIEVE me, I have tried. Best was 37.9 MPG and that was keeping the speed at 58-60MPH doing 90%+ freeway driving.
Exactly right! 37-38 is about max that the xB can achieve even with a tail wind going downhill. Higher numbers than that have issues with the math. JMO
Old 01-04-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rvpps2rocks
... Putting a 91 in a 87 rated engine does more harm to the engine than good because the engine doesnt run hot enough for it to combust at the right time so ur actually hurting the engine by putting the wrong octane
Where did you learn that?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
... 37-38 is about max that the xB can achieve even with a tail wind going downhill. Higher numbers than that have issues with the math. JMO
The xB can do higher numbers with no math errors.
My manual xB has 10,000 miles on it. On two tanks in that time, it got 42 mpg at a steady 60 mph on an Interstate. On a half-dozen tanks, it has gotten 37 mpg, staying under 60 mph on rural 2-lane roads.
At each fill-up, I write the tripmeter and odometer miles on the gas ticket. I use a calculator on the spot. Later I enter the data into an Excel spreadsheet, which does its own calculations. I have a record of every tank used - date, miles on car, miles on tank, gallons, octane, and driving conditions.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by bB2NER
... 37-38 is about max that the xB can achieve even with a tail wind going downhill. Higher numbers than that have issues with the math. JMO
The xB can do higher numbers with no math errors.
My manual xB has 10,000 miles on it. On two tanks in that time, it got 42 mpg at a steady 60 mph on an Interstate. On a half-dozen tanks, it has gotten 37 mpg, staying under 60 mph on rural 2-lane roads.
At each fill-up, I write the tripmeter and odometer miles on the gas ticket. I use a calculator on the spot. Later I enter the data into an Excel spreadsheet, which does its own calculations. I have a record of every tank used - date, miles on car, miles on tank, gallons, octane, and driving conditions.
But see there is the catch, going 60mph, you aren't doing 85. When you're doing 60 you should be well under 3,000 RPMs but when you do 85 you're around 3,500 or 3,700 RPMs, it makes a big difference. Once you past 60 the RPMs go higher per MPH than other speeds. Even though the MPG is kinda high, I can swallow that. There are very few 2-lane rural roads in Miami, but with slow takeoffs, and tires inflated @ the proper psi, and everything maintained perfectly, I can see it being more feasible.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member

I'm not going to argue with you over the miliage I get consistantly with my own car.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanna know what you are driving Auto/Manual because the Manual at 85 mph is turning about 4500rpm. What gas are you using and tires?? Have you done any mods to the vehicle?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

It's just an auto, no mods, and I didn't think my RPMs were going that high to hit 85... The car wasn't straining, it still drove great. I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was going to cause such a fuss, I was just excited because I wasn't expecting for it to not only handle well but to also get such superb miliage on the interstate.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok that makes a little more sense because the autos are geared a little taller so your RPM would be lower than a standard and if your fluids are in good shape then it could be running really well. Yeah the gas mileage can be affected by a lot of things like the gas pump you fill up at if it is out of calibration then all sorts of weird numbers can occur.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I want to use the same exact fuel vintage42 is using. I've tried every sort and fashion of maxing mpgs and the absolute best was 37.5 on one tank then it went back to the 34-36 range. I'm to the poit where it's just not worth worrying about. Just drive it and enjoy the ride. To heck with whatever the mpgs are!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Wow you all are getting some crazy gas mileage. More air in the tires I run about 38psi. Change your tranny oil to something better - that can get you about 4 mpg more right away.
What tranny oil are you using? And did you gain 4mpg with just the tranny oil or combination oil and tire pressure.

My scangauge should be coming on Monday so I plan to do some experiments soon!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

all of you gas savers need ro bow down to your master. this guys owns everyonehere
http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat...permilers.html
Old 01-05-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the link...but this one works better without the "-1" near the end

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat...permilers.html
Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

yea sorry about that. i jsut finished the story...that guy is nuts!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Im still getting about 22mpg. Good thing my car is fast to make up for the loss....

...not really
Old 01-05-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read the story, wow.. that's awesome... but man I'm spoiled... I would pay for the comfort of AC. It's like getting the Chinese water torture and liking it... I'm all for the MPG, but man... there's a fine line to what I'll do.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

yea that guy deff takes things a little far. i take my car out of gear going down big hills and i try not to be on it ALL the time. i get 30mpg everytime and im happy with that.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goyogi
Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Wow you all are getting some crazy gas mileage. More air in the tires I run about 38psi. Change your tranny oil to something better - that can get you about 4 mpg more right away.
What tranny oil are you using? And did you gain 4mpg with just the tranny oil or combination oil and tire pressure.

My scangauge should be coming on Monday so I plan to do some experiments soon!
I added Slick50 gear lube to a manual tranny and the Synlube kept the mileage the same - the tranny alone can make that 4mpg difference.

Quick Reply: I've given up on 30mpg