First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Life Expectancy of the xB

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by groundzeroxb
HEy Sid, congrats on your new purshase. WElcome to life with a scion!!!
lol!!!!
you should put that on this thread https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...689&highlight=
Old 02-10-2006, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I expect 150K easy miles outta the box.....at my current rate that will be 4 or 5 years.....
Old 02-10-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Driving the box reminds me of driving my cousin's 1988 Tercel EZ, 'cept I have an extra gear. We took that car everywhere.....sometimes when we shouldn't have taken it anywhere.....
Old 02-10-2006, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I like the xB so much I can see myself owning one for as long as possible. I do my own maintanence so it should keep running the next 30 or so years. If not, that's what parts cars are for. We can rebuild it.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Life Expectancy of the xB

Originally Posted by pharynx
Well, ive been sitting here, for about 2 weeks contemplating what type of vehicle i should get. Obviously the xB has came to mind, but i have recently been wondering this question: Can i see myself in this car for 7 years? If you can see yourself in this car for about 7 years, post here.
Easily. I plan to drive my xB until it is worn out, and I'm hoping that will be 10-11-12 years or more.

The last vehicle I bought NEW was an '84 Dodge Caravan (the second year for that vehicle) and I probably would have driven that 15 or more years if some butthead hadn't crashed his old-style RWD Impala into it and destroyed it when it was only 12 years old. (The Impala was hardly scratched -- they don't make 'em like THAT anymore! ;^) That Caravan was very practical with three kidlets . . . and although it had its issues I liked it really well . . . .

This xB is like a shrunk-down version of that Caravan, including the 5-spd stick and too-small engine, only MUCH more practical and better made. Plus after all these years, it cost about the same!

Will it go the distance? I would have not bought it if I didn't think so . . . .
Old 02-10-2006, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bilgewiper
Lets see................I have been a licensed driver for 31 years and have owned 28 different primary cars in that time (yes I have kept a accurate count). That count does not include any that I rebuilt for resale or extra part cars etc. So..........I figure I'll keep this xB for less than two years considering I start to get bored at the 12-18 month mark. "Varity is the spice of life".
You are the ANTI-ME!

I've been a licensed driver for about 36 years and the cars I've owned are: Ford Cortina wagon, Datsun 240Z, VW Rabbit, Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager, and now the xB. Each previous vehicle except the Voyager was either totally worn out or destroyed by a crash. Interesting that they've ALL been hatch-backs . . . . I guess for me, practicality wins over variety every time . . . .
Old 02-10-2006, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"... Another thing is the fact that Scion is smart! A.) they only advertize on MTV- so you wont see a BUNCH of old people driving them.."

The oldsters much be watching MTV around here because xBs are full them. My 60-year old sister in law leased an Absolute Red 2005 RS1 xA a year ago, and now I have ordered a TCM MT xB.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I plan on keeping my xb till the wheels fall off. First its a toyota so i know it will last through all of my abuse.Plus ive put to much money and myself into my ride to get rid of it.Truth is my next ride may be another scion.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure I will tire of the box before anything happens to it... but it makes a great beater car for me and its cheap to maintain... so it will be around for some years to come..
Old 02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to keep driving my xB 'til the wheels fall off

It should last me 10+ years :D
Old 02-10-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xB_Rida
I will still have mine, it will still look pimp and it will still be dropping panties for a long time.
What? That is what Pimped out Trucks are for. LOL That is really funny.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll still have mine when I buy my next car...and as for the style becoming 'dated' - I don't think that's even possible. For a style to become dated you have to be able to associate a time period with that style. To be able to do that there must be a number of examples of that style within the given time period. The xB is the only car that looks like it does in the States, so its style will NEVER be dated...and it's around in a time when you've got Honda curves, Cadillac chisels & Nissan bubbles. Honestly, there really isn't one glaring style of vehicle out right now...and that's a good thing for all of them.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:34 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Life Expectancy of the xB

Originally Posted by pharynx
Well, ive been sitting here, for about 2 weeks contemplating what type of vehicle i should get. Obviously the xB has came to mind, but i have recently been wondering this question: Can i see myself in this car for 7 years? If you can see yourself in this car for about 7 years, post here. Post why, and how you think the xB will still be a 'popular' yet good 'ride' in another 5 years or so. What will seperate itself from other vehicles in that 5 year time span? Is this a trade in car? Or is a car that will have an impact of the way we will drive in the future.
Yes I will own my car for a long time. I researched and "dreamed" about this car for 5 months before I purchased. The only other vehicle I liked was the Toyota Tacoma, but we already had a truck, so that went out the window, and I've never owned a Toyota, but owned a Honda, Subaru and Nissan. Why would I keep it so long? because this car is so fantastic to look at, we talk about it all of the time at work, and I've had it for 6 months! I was able to use it as a "work"vehicle today by packing in 16 big bags of shredded paper, to take to a recycler, it was the bomb. It is a car like no other, and my 17 year old loves taking it out on dates....if I only had it when I was 17 I think this is a car that has already had an impact...the cube?
Old 02-11-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB is the first vehicle I financed myself. It took 20-months but it's paid off. Gotta love the cheap starting price and the trade in value on my former Toyota 'Kamuri'. I don't really see myself trading it in. When it first came out, I couldn't sleep for 1-week after I test drove the xB. I fell asleep again when I presented the dealer my deposit. That was one odd experiance. I don't think another vehicle could do the same.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member

I got rid of a Ford F150 to buy the box which was a 4th vehicle. I like the idea of having an econo-box (pun intended) because of the instability of world oil supplies. I drive almost 900 miles a week for my job and do not want to worry when gas gets up to 3.50 or more a gallon. Everything I used the F150 for, I can do with the X. I will keep it for quite some time.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For a long life, the Toyota engineering and build quality are factors.
For a short life, there are possible factors of:
1. Inexpensive lightweight design, thin metal, fragile paint, critical mechanical components in front bumper.
2. Small, hardworking, high-revving engine.
3. Tightly packaged unibody may not be easily repairable, with tendency for cost of repairing accidents to exceed value of car ("totalling").
3. Used xBs on the market may often have owner-specific modifications not conducive to value or longevity.
4. Generally youthful owners may not have the situation or resources to maintain, repair, and garage the xB for many years and tens of thousands of miles.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can see my self driving this car for at least ten years. the past two cars i've owned i kept one for 9 yrs and the other for 13yrs. out of neccesity more the anything else. i've never had a car that was as much fun as this one. belonging to a ever growing community of enthusiast i can see myself keeping it for a long time ,will the excitment i have every time i get in still be there? i don't know, but i'm going to have a blast while i wait to see.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my experience with Japanese cars purchased new:

1980.5 Datsun 210SL station wagon (5sp), lasted 11 years, 110k miles, was still running well when we sold it (replaced with a minivan). The most serious repair this car ever needed was new head gaskets.

1981 Toyota Tercel 2dr sedan (5sp) lasted 14 years, 150k miles, was still running well when we sold it (replaced with another minivan). The most serious repair it ever needed was a new clutch. (Note that this car is a direct ancestor of the Echo/xA/xB).

1991 Mazda MPV minivan (4 cyl auto); we gave it to our son 3.5 years ago, currently has 160k miles. Recently needed a new radiator, and also had to have its computer replaced a few years ago.

2002 Mazda MPV minivan (6cyl auto); has yet to need a major repair or cost us a dime for anything but routine maintenance.

2005 Scion xB (auto); I expect my faith in the longevity of Japanese cars, proven by personal experience, to not be broken by this car.

I don't even want to talk about the American cars I've owned.

RichC
Old 02-12-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1991 Mazda B2600i CabPlus, 150,000 miles, also bought new and needed a computer and radiator recently, still on original clutch. Still all like new, will keep it forever. Made in Japan, like the xB, so I have high expectations for the xB.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
I don't even want to talk about the American cars I've owned.
Me either. We still don't seem to know how to build cars like the rest of the world...or maybe we do, but Hoffa made it too expensive to make a good car, so we make crap & pay everyone $25 an hour to do it.

Quick Reply: Life Expectancy of the xB