Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Impro

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member

Default The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Impro

This may be common knowledge to most of y'all, but I just happened to read this over at the injen site and thought I'd post it. I'm not a huge car guy, but I had never actually heard of this before.

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.312 administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.