Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PP has HAD a 0W20 out for some time now, it's just not readily available in stores. I found it online and plan to purchase it when I do my next change.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't know about for cars, but i like mobil 1 too in the morning for better lubrication at my startup.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

by the way, where do you get "PP" oil?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Penzoil
Old 05-23-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO!!!! Uh, Heathen, I've worked on jets daily for 17 years....that's "how I know". I love the self-proclaimed lubrication experts who crawl out from their rocks and spew their puffed up internet egos.

Relax people, pick your fave and use it. Just because Billy Bob's uncle had a bad experience with a product, his entire family tree now swears against it. There are certain manufacturing standards which are in effect...yes, some will exceed, but for the most part, if regular maint. is followed, you won't see any difference. [/quote]
Old 05-23-2008, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jetblast
I love the self-proclaimed lubrication experts who crawl out from their rocks and spew their puffed up internet egos.

Oh the irony....
Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
I love the self-proclaimed lubrication experts who crawl out from their rocks and spew their puffed up internet egos.

Oh the irony....
Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond

Oh the irony....
Implying that UOAs are not a good way to measure a motor oils performance vs. another brand is as silly as saying the world is flat.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would wager huge bills that you'd be hard pressed to tie a vehicle's engine failure to which brand of oil someone is currently using. The lack of maint., or improper maint. is 99.99999% always the cause.

Oh, and if you should also wonder about my "ground vehicle" credentials, I can back that up with 5 years of dealership experience....none of which included any cases of "brand of oil based engine problems". The lack of changing those lubes yes, but not the brand.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic

Originally Posted by BayAreaScion
http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/home/fuel_calc.html. Sweet calculator will help you estimate how much you can save at the pump annualy and over a 7 year period. Just thought I'd share
Linky no workie.
just remove the period at the end for the link to work
Old 05-24-2008, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic

Gotta do my 20K service tomorrow so I went to get my oil and found this stuff. 0W30 Synthetic from Mobil 1 that exceeds 5W and 10W standards. So, I'm gonna give it a go.
Let us know how it goes! There's no reason not to use it if you were going to buy Mobil 1 anyway.

Isn't having a rating of 0W, by definition, exceeding the 5W and 10W cold flow standards? They had this stuff out for a while- it was simply 0W-20, 0W-30, without the "Advanced Fuel Economy" on the label. The FAQ even says it's the same formula.

I think it's primarily marketing to get more people to buy synthetic instead of conventional oil. Your car is going to get worse fuel economy before it gets to normal operating temperature. I'm not sure the difference between a 0W and 5W for those 5-10 minutes would be noticeable. Maybe if it's really cold (and takes longer to warm up) or if you mostly make short trips.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO!!!! Uh, Heathen, I've worked on jets daily for 17 years....that's "how I know". I love the self-proclaimed lubrication experts who crawl out from their rocks and spew their puffed up internet egos.

Relax people, pick your fave and use it. Just because Billy Bob's uncle had a bad experience with a product, his entire family tree now swears against it. There are certain manufacturing standards which are in effect...yes, some will exceed, but for the most part, if regular maint. is followed, you won't see any difference.
[/quote]

2380 or 2197 ??

BTW, we are getting the 2197 from BP.

And yes.... I dun fixes them there aero things too myselfs, I do.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey i are aircraft electrician. nice meet to u both! biye
Old 05-25-2008, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, nice to meet you also.

An Electrician, huh? You must specialize where you are at.

Me, I'm a Line Mechanic. A jack of all trades, as you might call it. Or a jackass, I don't know ???

Back onto oil:
I used to know guys who ran 2380 jet oil (synthetic) in their cars with no problems. Me myself, I like to use the synthetic Mobil 28 grease. I think it lasts a lot longer than regular wheel bearing grease.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I guess theres a TSB for us to use 5W20?WTF?
Old 05-25-2008, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I guess theres a TSB for us to use 5W20?WTF?
It's been out for a couple years. Probably a reaction to something else- dealers stocking fewer grades of oil or help prevent oil sludge problems in unmaintained cars.

IMO, if 5W-20 were optimal for our cars, it would have been recommended from the factory. Ford, Mazda, and Honda were already using it in 2004 so Toyota could have recommended it in the xB.

I used it in my xB once. My scangauge showed a 0-3 MPG improvement in the gauge mode while I was driving. I never did set the trip meter on the scangauge to see if it actually made a difference in the average. Traffic really varies too much for me to assume any MPG change is from the oil. 5W-20 also seemed to make my xB louder- more noise from the valvetrain. So I have been mixing 5W-20 and 5W-30 (only with the same brand, type, etc) on my changes. It's not as loud and I assume I'm getting some marginal improvement in fuel economy.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Clue me in on the true synthetics thing here guys?
just wanted to chime in on this cause i have looked at this topic periodically and i still didn't see your question answered in a drawn out response.
Conventional oil is derived from crude but with filtering, distillation, and further refining you get still small amounts of sulfur, wax, and asphaltic material that can promote detonation as well as varnish and sludge buildup. With no wax, synthetics will flow at much lower temperatures than conventional oils. Unlike traditional mineral oils that are produced by various refining procedures of existing crude oil stock, synthetic lubricants are made through chemical reactions. These new oils aren't synthetic or artificial in the sense that they're manufactured out of whole cloth, they still have the same natural ingredients found in "real" oil. But in a synthetic lubricant, these ingredients are recombined like a Lego set to yield synthesized-hydrocarbon molecular chains with desirable characteristics and uniformity not found in even the highest-quality traditional motor oils. Typically, the best synthetic oils use a combination of up to three different synthetic base fluids--polyalphaolefin (PAO), synthetic esters, and alkylated aromatics which i think royal purple and amsoil use to manufacture there product.

Think of it this way it makes it easer to understand think of a basketball court and think of the floor covered with basketballs, baseballs, volleyballs this is how the molecule's of conventional oil are found very non uniform thats where you get a lot of damage from lack of maintenance and with all that impurities still in it you get deposits.
Now think of the same basketball court and think of the floor just covered with say baseballs thats the way synthetic oil molecule's are found the molecules are more uniform to each other there for you have the same protection all over.

that should help you understand the difference, i know it helped me.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'm not comfortable using oil that is any thinner than the 5W30 that the xB uses Period. After it warms up, it gets way too thin to do it's job IMO.
It's not worth the extra 1 mpg to risk the overall lifespan on my beloved 1.5L. 300K here I come!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use 20w/50w in my box, I too worry about the oil getting too thin to protect the engine after the oil heats up. 51,000 miles so far and above average mpg.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

i've always put the toyota oil in my xB and am coming up on 90K miles with no problems.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic