Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had scary event....I use M1 5-20 with K&N filter right? I have 101k. Changed my oil on Tuesday. I watched the oil drain out of the pan all of sudden I saw two clumps coming out. Then to top it off; my filter was easy to turn by hand.

Also I checked my oil before couple weeks ago and saw the dip stick was at the low level sooner than typical. Added in with new oil. I also had two oil drip spots where I park on the street on both sides.

Buddy of mine told me to change oil sooner before 5k "Maint Req" light mark. Last two changes I've changed them before the light flashed before starting up. I'm hoping maybe the car felt spoiled and is being stubborn? LOL

I'm just wondering if I got hold of terrible filter or me screwing in too loose? Or if I got terrible batch of oil?

I'm thinking of trying Amsoil and buy it in bulk. Or if I stick with M1; I might try 0-20 for winter months since my dealer always used 0-20.

Please any thoughts?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Wow, that's weird. I use Toyota filters and M1 5W30 year round on the xB. With that many miles it's prolly time to step the oil thickness up 1 notch to 5W30 to be safe.
I always go thicker as the vehicle gets higher in miles and the gaps between moving parts get wider.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRESSCION
I had scary event....I use M1 5-20 with K&N filter right? I have 101k. Changed my oil on Tuesday. I watched the oil drain out of the pan all of sudden I saw two clumps coming out. Then to top it off; my filter was easy to turn by hand.
Two clumps? I would've picked them apart in the drain pan to try to figure out what they were. No engine oil should be clumpy.

Filter could be easy to turn as long as it doesn't leak. It sounds like your's was too loose since you saw oil spots where you park unless you can find oil leaking from somewhere else.

I would not be concerned about the oil level being low sooner than typical. You imply that it does already use a noticeable amount of oil. Running a thin oil could use more, 5w-30 could make it use less. And that you had/have a possible leak. The clumps you saw could also have been sludge creating a seal somewhere in the engine. Seal gone, burn more oil. Did you change brands of oil? Are you the original owner so you'd know how it's been maintained?

Unless you're getting a deal on the K&N filters or you really like that nut on top, I'd consider changing. You can get a quality filter (Toyota, Purolator, others) for 1/2 the retail price of the K&N. No need to change oil earlier than 5,000 miles unless you're changing based on the 6 month interval.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One, I've been the same owner since it's left the lot.

Two, K&N filter is being used for the "You guessed it" nut.

Third, I switched to Sythentic back in July of '07 been using it ever since except for the dealer screw up that one time.

Forth, oil was healthy dark except for those 1 cm small clumps?

Fifth, I'm not currently dripping. I've been thinking since I do park on the street that someone might of leaked in my spots and I never noticed it until couple weeks ago.

-----------
I'm thinking of spying at the valves and see what color they are. Probably switch to OEM filter, anything else?