Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

More fun to drive, tC or xB?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default More fun to drive, tC or xB?

I've had my tC for almost 2 years now. I love it, but it's recently crossed my mind that I really like the xB. For those of you that have owned both, what made you switch from one to the other? What are your driving impressions of each. I know the xB doesn't have the power of the tC, but it sounds like it is a fun ride regarless. The only other factor I'm considering is that I drive about 60 miles each day on the expressway at 75-80 mph...can the xB handle it???

Thanks!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

i drive about 20 miles a day and do about 80-100 most the time. The XB can handle it no problem i am running a 04 not 1 problem yet. And it is a blast to drive nothing but fun all the time.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I prefer the looks of xB, but tC is more fun to drive
Old 11-18-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love driving my xB...you get that thing on some good coils (k-sports what i have) it is AMAZING to drive, they tC is too big n heavy to whip around corneres and such, but man i love driving the xB
Old 11-18-2006, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

XB foshizzle!! I love the box... It is an attention grabber and chick magnet... HAHAHAHA... I wan Coil Overs but have to by things cause I am getting married soon!!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Sure the xB may be slow but compared to other fast cars the tC is relatively slow too. The xB should loose a tC in the twisties tho. Isn't that where you have the most fun? Going around curves really fast? Hummmm...
Old 11-18-2006, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB should loose a tC in the twisties tho. Isn't that where you have the most fun?
You really think the xB handles better than the tC? I agree that is where the fun is regardless of how fast your car is. And your right, the tC isn't all that fast to begin with. I thought I read somewhere that a manual xB will do 0-60 in about 9 sec. Is that right? That's really not too bad.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I know it handles better than most people think. They can't understand that the xB has a very low center of gravity. They see tall roof and think easy to tip over. It's our little secret. he he
Old 11-18-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ok so I have owned the xB for 1yr and traded it in last month for 07 tC. I love the xB its a really fun car, you can really "whip it" good. Its really fun to drive and entertaining but it wore off pretty quickly for me. The tC has been a blast to drive, but its a different feel. Its more like driving a precision machine rather than a toy car. I drove the xB no problem on the freeway at 80mph for 200 mile road trips and hours on end no problem. I just didn't like getting cut off and not just loosing all my momentum and I can already tell the tC doesn't have this problem. Another thing for me is the gas mileage, I am actually averaging better in the tC than the xB. Overall I would say the tC is nicer, more conservative and built more solid, and on the other hand the xB is just a really fun car.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Another thing for me is the gas mileage, I am actually averaging better in the tC than the xB. Overall I would say the tC is nicer, more conservative and built more solid, and on the other hand the xB is just a really fun car.
How are you getting better mileage in a tC? I have a 05 tC and I get maybe mid-20's for MPG. The xB should give you 30+, right? I'm thinking of going from a tC to a xB (lower payments basically)
Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

driving my car, i love the xB. But honestly, i hate to say it when all these xB guys are lovin the xB over the tC, you need to drive a boosted tC. RabbidLemming, guy in Scinergy, has a greddy turbo and lets just say the gears are too short. saying its really fun is an understatement. you just need to try it.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by doubledown
Another thing for me is the gas mileage, I am actually averaging better in the tC than the xB. Overall I would say the tC is nicer, more conservative and built more solid, and on the other hand the xB is just a really fun car.
How are you getting better mileage in a tC? I have a 05 tC and I get maybe mid-20's for MPG. The xB should give you 30+, right? I'm thinking of going from a tC to a xB (lower payments basically)
I'm experiencing this too. . . and I traded an xA for a tC. It's mainly due to the avg speeds traveled. For city driving, the xA/xB will kick a tC's butt in mpg. But when it comes to highway (and if you speed), the tC will come in pretty much dead even in mpg. Once you surpass 80mph, the mpg drops VERY fast. At 95mph, my xA got about 19mpg. But with the tC I can do about 22-23mpg. And yes, I do cruise at that speed on long drives. And yes, I know it is dangerous. And no, I only do it on completely open roads with ideal driving conditions.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Originally Posted by doubledown
I'm experiencing this too. . . and I traded an xA for a tC. It's mainly due to the avg speeds traveled. For city driving, the xA/xB will kick a tC's butt in mpg. But when it comes to highway (and if you speed), the tC will come in pretty much dead even in mpg. Once you surpass 80mph, the mpg drops VERY fast. At 95mph, my xA got about 19mpg. But with the tC I can do about 22-23mpg. And yes, I do cruise at that speed on long drives. And yes, I know it is dangerous. And no, I only do it on completely open roads with ideal driving conditions.
I also think its due to the fact that I can go easyer on the gas and maintain the same speed in the tC while the xB needed to be floored to go up a slight incline. Also the xB had horrible gas mileage on the freeway where I put 99% of my miles, the tC its just phenominal on the fwy. As for city driving I am noticing more and more the tC isn't a lit sipper...
Old 11-28-2006, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Gas mileage in the City blows chunks. . . but at avg 90mph on I-5 this weekend, I got 29mpg which is insane!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hah that is awesome, in the xB I would get around horrible mileage after 55-60mph, the tC doesn't seem to be effected after 55-60mph.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my friend has a tC and i drove his car once. i must say i like xB better than tC.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive driven my stick box and friends auto tc. imo the xb is way more fun.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC > xB
Old 11-28-2006, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xb fo sho...
Old 11-28-2006, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hksjza80
I prefer the looks of xB, but tC is more fun to drive
I have an xB and drove a tC a little around town. Both manuals. I find the xB more fun.
That might not be true over 60 mph on a mountainous 2-lane road where more power is needed.

Quick Reply: More fun to drive, tC or xB?