Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

MPG Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member

Default MPG Help!

so ive had my 05 Xb since feb 2005, its got about 24,000 miles on it and i change the oil regularly, but ive been getting ____ty gas mileage, im lucky for 27 miles to the gallon. its a 5 speed, and theres no engin mods to it at all. is there any reason that i used to get 31-32 MPG and then it slowly went down to 26-27 MPG? please help!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check your plugs and air filter. Clean your fuel injectors.
Thats a start.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wondering though, your actual MPG varies from others due to driving habits. I know that were I live, there's alot of "stop and go" traffic. I'm getting an average of 28 to 30 MPG. However for those that live in free-way areas, and traveling at leas 50 mph or less, they usualy get around 31 to 35 or more under 3000 rpm. Unless your box is modified and your a gas pedal stomper, of course you end up with bad mileage
Old 07-31-2006, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member

I am having the same problem, only my box is 3 weeks new and getting around 23-25 in the city. I know that driving style has some to do with it, but not 8 mpg worth. I am considering taking it to the dealer to see what they say. What do you think?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tyler3
I am having the same problem, only my box is 3 weeks new and getting around 23-25 in the city. I know that driving style has some to do with it, but not 8 mpg worth. I am considering taking it to the dealer to see what they say. What do you think?
I think you're underestimating the effects of driving style. If your tach spends appreciable time above 3000rpm during acceleration, you're burning gas. If you use engine braking to slow down, you're burning gas. If your foot is constantly twitching on the gas pedal, modulating your speed, you're burning gas. If you're sitting in traffic that's not moving, you're burning gas (and breathing it, too.).

23-25mpg in real city driving is very normal. The EPA "city" estimate is more like suburban driving, with long stretches of going 45mph with an occasional stop light.

Also, your 3-week old engine will loosen up and become more efficient in a few more weeks.

RichC
Old 07-31-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Try a K&N drop in filter and some Irridium plugs gapped at .044. With my steelies on I get 32 mpgs no matter how I drive it.

With my 17's I get 28-29
Old 08-01-2006, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

So just an update, I just filled up the tank and did the math...
20 MPG
Old 08-01-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tyler3
So just an update, I just filled up the tank and did the math...
20 MPG
Could be a mistake, or else you are a very hard driver. See if you can repeat it. That is lower than I got under the worst conditions of driving and measurement:

Filled up in Lexington OH in the morning, drove 19 miles and filled up again in Lexington at end of day.
A lot of that 19 miles was idling and creeping in the traffic of Lexington and the Mid-Ohio racetrack grounds, and going around the track a couple of times using high rpm in each gear.
The manual xB got 23 mpg that day.
The same car got 43 mpg cruising back to my city, and gets 35 mpg in gentle daily driving at home.

Our cars are not that much different from each other, but I think we drivers are. For those with mileage, clutch and shifting problems, I have often wished I could be a passenger in their xB and watch them drive.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member

I don't consider myself a hard driver, I live in KS and it has been crazy hot and humid the last couple weeks, so i don't know if it is that or not. but for now i am going to take it easy on the RPM
Old 08-01-2006, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just read recently that driving style can swing your mileage by up to 33% FYI
Old 08-03-2006, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member

i consistently get 27mpg mix of city/highway. i blame the auto tranny and the hills.

not thrilled with the mileage though, considering the Honda Odyssey gets 22mpg in the same conditions
Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

calling shenannigans!

i get crappy gas milage...our box for the first 15000 miles did NOT rev above 3grand at all....we are lucky to get 27 mpg..

i dont want to hear any crap about driving habits and blah blah...lol

i have a 92 honda civic, rated at 31 mpg, i got 33 mpg PRE TURBO INSTALL...and now, in boost at all times, i get 35 mpg.....MORE than the motor is rated, and it is 14 years old...

whats up w that? even my q45, got the 16 mpg it was rated too! and it was 12 years old...
Old 08-03-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Previous post by myself in another thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use to think that, but now I am not quite so sure.

First off, I have the 5 speed and about 6K on the odometer, so I cant say for sure if the engine is still "breaking in", hence my higher gas milage. Also I do not drive it like I stole it, but I do not baby it either. I feel like I drive like it wants to be driven. I usually shift at 3000 rpm, and if the road conditions call for it, I skip gears. Especially going from third to fifth.

Sorry to throw more fuel on the fire, but on my last tank I did my freeway driving at an average of 70mph instead of 62-65 mph, and I used the AC more than usual, but only at highway speeds, which is typical for me. I got 34.6 mpg on my last tank.

I am testing the theory that these motors actually like, and perform better at higher rpm's. I have continued to drive 70-72mph since my last fill up and will report the numbers sometime next week.

I am not stating this as fact mind you, but am simply testing a theory of mine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34.1 MPG since last fill up using the same techniquie I posted previously.

Some other factors:
1) Aftermarket 15" wheels using stock rubber inflated to 34psi. I check pressure weekly.

2) I practice "no brake driving". Obviously not all the time , but I always drive ahead of myself....if I am approaching a stoplight that is red, I immediatly take my foot off the gas, drop into N and coast. 9 times out of 10, I am still moving when I approach and dont have to get the box moving from a dead stop.

Driving Technique is the biggest factor in MPG IMO.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Default MPG

I have tried many types of driving. Shifting at 3000+ RPMs and shifing at just over 2,000 RPMs. I have even tried starting in 2nd vs 1st and driving skipping gears. I am consitantly getting 24-25 MPG (usually 24..

I have 15" wheels too.

No matter how I drive I get the same results. My xB only gets 24-25 MPG. It is frustrating having to fill up after only 230 miles or so.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cmdxb
... i get crappy gas milage...our box for the first 15000 miles did NOT rev above 3grand at all....we are lucky to get 27 mpg....
RPMs alone do not make poor MPG. The throttle opening has more effect. Poor MPG is the result of the heavy throttle that people use to get to those RPMs.

if you could pull a trailer you would see this easier. I pull a 2000-lb boat with my 4-cyl Mazda truck. On hills on the interstate, to hold 55 MPH I must chose between:
1. 5th gear, 2500 RPM and full throttle.
2. 4th gear, 3000 RPM and little throttle.
The engine uses less gas and runs more easily at #2.

I consistently get 35 MPG around town in my manual xB by using light throttle and shifting at 2000 RPM. To get good MPG you must keep your foot out of the throttle. Our cars are not very much different from each other, but we are.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: MPG

Originally Posted by dagarhart
I have tried many types of driving. Shifting at 3000+ RPMs and shifing at just over 2,000 RPMs.... My xB only gets 24-25 MPG. It is frustrating having to fill up after only 230 miles or so.
It is not so much a matter of the RPMs as the throttle. I.e. how fast are you trying to accelerate.
If you shift at 2000 rpm up through all the gears, but use heavy throttle doing it, you are not going to get good MPG.
If you were to shift at 3000 RPM but use iight throttle to get there, you would do better.
To get good MPG around town, you have to use light throttle and gentle acceleration.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
I have tried many types of driving. Shifting at 3000+ RPMs and shifing at just over 2,000 RPMs.... My xB only gets 24-25 MPG. It is frustrating having to fill up after only 230 miles or so.
It is not so much a matter of the RPMs as the throttle. I.e. how fast are you trying to accelerate.
If you shift at 2000 rpm up through all the gears, but use heavy throttle doing it, you are not going to get good MPG.
If you were to shift at 3000 RPM but use iight throttle to get there, you would do better.
To get good MPG around town, you have to use light throttle and gentle acceleration.
I have varied all of the above and it does not change.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
...To get good MPG around town, you have to use light throttle and gentle acceleration.
I have varied all of the above and it does not change.
So light throttle and gentle acceleration does not improve MPG compared to heavy throttle and faster acceleration? That might indicate a problem with the engine for the dealer.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'd have to say that 20 mpg sounds real low. I just got my box, don't even have 2000 miles on it yet, and consistently get 26 mpg in city. This city has: lots of stop lights, hills(mountains really) between destinations, and I typically use my box for work - hauling several hundred pounds of equipment twice a week. I'm definitely no slouch when it comes to throttle either.

20 mpg is way low...just my .02
Old 08-04-2006, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have 5-speed and i can go about 360 miles each fill-up. even then i have about a gallon of gas left when i fill up. i typically short shift as fast as possible to get up to cruising speed. my friend drives an evo 8 and heard that accelerating quickly to cruising speed can help gas mileage since you spend more time in the 'highway' range and less time in the 'city' accelerating range.

Quick Reply: MPG Help!