Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

MPG Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06Silver-xB
i consistently get 27mpg mix of city/highway. i blame the auto tranny and the hills.

not thrilled with the mileage though, considering the Honda Odyssey gets 22mpg in the same conditions
Don't blame our wonderful West Virginia Hills! haha
I just got 30 mpg when i filled up yesterday, that's the LOWEST i've had in the past 8 months.
I ususally get 32-33 atleast with mixed driving (city/highway).
All highway is usually 35-36.

I'm getting the oil changed today, and will be heading out on my honeymoon saturday night. Driving to SC and back, so hopefully I'll get 36!!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by cmdxb
... i get crappy gas milage...our box for the first 15000 miles did NOT rev above 3grand at all....we are lucky to get 27 mpg....
RPMs alone do not make poor MPG. The throttle opening has more effect. Poor MPG is the result of the heavy throttle that people use to get to those RPMs.

if you could pull a trailer you would see this easier. I pull a 2000-lb boat with my 4-cyl Mazda truck. On hills on the interstate, to hold 55 MPH I must chose between:
1. 5th gear, 2500 RPM and full throttle.
2. 4th gear, 3000 RPM and little throttle.
The engine uses less gas and runs more easily at #2.

I consistently get 35 MPG around town in my manual xB by using light throttle and shifting at 2000 RPM. To get good MPG you must keep your foot out of the throttle. Our cars are not very much different from each other, but we are.
while i understand what your saying, still calling BS

turboed cars at full throttle, use more gas cause the ECU richens the fuel mix and ALSO your opening the throttle much much more (atypically full throttle or thrree quarters)

now i know my other ride is a civic, and this is SCION life....but the same rules should apply as you referenced your Mazda....

Even when i FIRST put the turbo on, and FULL THROTTLED and ragged the P*ss out of my civic....did it dip SLIGHTLY below 30 mpg....i mean , we are talking FULL BOOST EVERY SINGLE SHIFT for an entire tank of gas....like i was TRYING TO BREAK HE CAR .... seriously .... lol....and for my milage to suffer only what, 3 mpg from what it is initially rated, while my foot is literally SMASHING the accelerator to the floor, the ENTIRE time i drove it, not to mention the E Manage richens the H*LL out of the fuel, meaning that my gas was literally dumping into the combustion chamber.....cmon, this is on a fourteen year old motor....the only things i replaced were the gaskets from the main seals , front and rear, head gasket and up....pistons and rings and the rest of the seals were not even touched....

now based on this, your telling me, seriously, that your foot and the accelerator, can make almost 6 mpg difference, on an engine less than 2 years old?

hmmmm...me thinks Shennanigans was an appropriate call on my part.....Toyota is KNOWN for misrating there MPG....it has nothing to do w the box shape, nothing to do w throttle, nothing...i have a friend who has the Hybrid Honda, and the Hybrid Prius....guess which one hits its Rated MPG EVERY SINGLE TANK?...honda....the prius is LUCKY to get 42 mpg....its rated at 50 or 55? hmmmm......

Old 08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by coasterclown
Originally Posted by 06Silver-xB
i consistently get 27mpg mix of city/highway. i blame the auto tranny and the hills.

not thrilled with the mileage though, considering the Honda Odyssey gets 22mpg in the same conditions
Don't blame our wonderful West Virginia Hills! haha
I just got 30 mpg when i filled up yesterday, that's the LOWEST i've had in the past 8 months.
I ususally get 32-33 atleast with mixed driving (city/highway).
All highway is usually 35-36.

I'm getting the oil changed today, and will be heading out on my honeymoon saturday night. Driving to SC and back, so hopefully I'll get 36!!
stick or auto?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

West (By God) Virginia? You guys can write? lol j/k

No, my wife is going back there (home) for her 20th Class Reunion. She went to Duval.

Back on track, The only thing I can think of is that most of the people that are getting better MPG are driving on 17s and 18s, so my question is this. Is that true MPG and is it a true reflection of actual miles driven? I know that my odometer is off by about 1/10 of a mile every two miles. So, if I take that into consideration, I am actually getting around 27-29 MPG in town (flat land, phoenix, az). The only other factor I can think of is that it is average 100+ degrees in the phoenix area since I have purchased my vehicle. This means that the vehicle is not taking in the best air temps for operating conditions (76 degrees, I think I read somewhere). Maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, it is still better than my older car that got 16-19 MPG so I will stop complaining.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way, don't forget that gasoline expands with heat. If you filled up during the current heat wave, especially during the daytime, you got less gas into your tank because it takes up more space per gallon.

RichC
Old 08-04-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Yeah, but that would not explain why some people get 31-37 MPG and others in the Phoenix area get only 24-26 MPG.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... I consistently get 35 MPG around town in my manual xB by using light throttle and shifting at 2000 RPM. To get good MPG you must keep your foot out of the throttle....
while i understand what your saying, still calling BS... your telling me, seriously, that your foot and the accelerator, can make almost 6 mpg difference...
I am just saying that I drive gently with a manual transmission in a mostly surburban setting and always get about 35 mpg. There is no BS in these recent records:
Date....... Odo......Miles...Gal...MPG...Oct...Notes
3-Jul-06....4,402...229.....6.4....35.8...93....Mixed suburb, city
13-Jul-06..4,642...240.....6.8....35.3...93....Mixed suburb, city
20-Jul-06..4,810...166.....4.5....36.9...93....Mixed suburb, country
4-Aug-06..5,075...264.....7.7....34.3...93....Mixed suburb, city
Old 08-04-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dagarhart
Yeah, but that would not explain why some people get 31-37 MPG and others in the Phoenix area get only 24-26 MPG.
No, it only helps explain why your own mileage might be lower than usual.

The differences between cars and drivers are too numerous to catalog (although we've been trying for years in threads like this), and all of them are legitimate contributors to differences in fuel efficiency.

If you and another Phoenix driver with comparable xB's are getting radically different mileage, you should trade cars for a month. Then you might learn something!

RichC
Old 08-04-2006, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member

Default 2006 xB manual transmission

I've had my xB almost 2 weeks now, just had the 500 mile oil change to full synthetic. It is a 2006 manual.

Here is my mileage:

1st tank ... 26.1 mpg (in town driving - 87 octane from dealer )
2nd tank ... 27.5 mpg (in town driving - 91 octane Chevron - actual octane 88 )
3rd tank ... 32.8 mpg (70 highway miles, 120 in town miles - 91 octane Chevron - actual octane 90 )
(Actual octane calculated based on gallons remaining at stated octane averaged with gallons added at stated octane.)
(Also note that I am not attributing the mileage to any given cause, so let's not get into the octane debate. I give that information only to paint a complete picture.)

overall mpg: 29.0

The last tank was fairly impressive, and gives me hope of achieving better than 30 in town and 35 highway.

I'm still breaking it in, so I'm fairly gentle with it. Generally, I am very light on the throttle, shift between 2500 and 3000 rpms, coast toward red lights and on any grade that will keep me at speed. Occasionally, I floor it, usually to make up for something stupid, like misjudging the speed of oncoming traffic. A couple times I've driven it hard just for the joy of cornering. I think I've driven with windows down a total of maybe 10 miles. I use AC 80% of the time that I'm in the car.

I fill up at the same station, same pump, same manner (fill up a little at full speed, then lock the pump at low speed till it shuts off, then try filling again to let it shut off one more time - generally immediately).

Someone said they shift at 2000 rpm. Frankly, I can't imagine doing that. 4th gear at 1600 rpm is pretty gutless, and 5th gear, I'm suprised you can maintain speed much less accelerate. But apparently you can, and you're happy with it, so I'll just continue admiring the mileage you get, and be content with the mileage I'm getting so far.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
Originally Posted by dagarhart
No, it only helps explain why your own mileage might be lower than usual.

The differences between cars and drivers are too numerous to catalog (although we've been trying for years in threads like this), and all of them are legitimate contributors to differences in fuel efficiency.

If you and another Phoenix driver with comparable xB's are getting radically different mileage, you should trade cars for a month. Then you might learn something!

RichC
Just a poll. What size are your wheels?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 2006 xB manual transmission

Originally Posted by nightDenizen
...Someone said they shift at 2000 rpm. Frankly, I can't imagine doing that. 4th gear at 1600 rpm is pretty gutless, and 5th gear, I'm suprised you can maintain speed much less accelerate. But apparently you can, and you're happy with it, so I'll just continue admiring the mileage you get, and be content with the mileage I'm getting so far.
I shift at 2000 rpm which puts the engine into 5th gear at 40 mph. The comment about the engine being "gutless" at 2000 rpm indicates driving needs and conditions that may differ from mine. When I shift at 2000 rpm I am not asking the engine for guts. I am doing gentle steady acceleration with light throttle, and the engine is happy of continuing that gentle acceleration onward from 2000 rpm in 5th. But in light suburban driving where the roads have a 35 mph limit, I remain and cruise at 2000 rpm after the shift into 5th, which is 40 mph.

I know the car has some guts, as I have driven it on a racetrack. But for good mileage I stay out of the guts.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...Toyota is KNOWN for misrating there MPG...
Ummm - what does Toyota have to do with EPA fuel economy ratings?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member

I bought my xb a month ago and I got 28 mpg on the first tank. 30 on the second and 31.5 on the third. It seems to get better as I break in the engine.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Based on what I've read and on my own experience, that seems to be common. I got 29.x on my first tank (by the odo), and 31.x on the second. Of course, as the ancients would remind us, the plural of anecdote is not data...
Old 08-09-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

vintage-
Why are you using 93? Are you Forced Induction?

The manual says use 87 here is why (i am sure u know this...)

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.
Gsnorgathon-

SO sorry, i meant that Toyotas are known for NOT getting the EPAs estimated ratings...every single other car i have ever owned, got precisely the rated MPG....they were ALL either Hondas or Nissans....

thanks, and if any u ***** find out why one Scion can get 25 mpg, and another can get 37...let me know...cauuuuuuse thats NOT just driving habits....sorry to burst your bubbles

C

C
Old 08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Gsnorgathon
Based on what I've read and on my own experience, that seems to be common. I got 29.x on my first tank (by the odo), and 31.x on the second. Of course, as the ancients would remind us, the plural of anecdote is not data...
I still drive the thing like an old lady though. I'm still just under 1,000 miles so I'm taking it easy. I try to keep the RPMs low. I cruise on the freeway at 65mph at about 2500 RPM. I still havent stretched her legs yet.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member

Filled up my xB three times now.

1st fill up. RPM's under 3k as much as possible. 80/20 Hwy/Local mix. Never over 70 mph. Very little A/C. 33.4 mpg.

2d fill up. Lots and lots of A/C. 50/50 Hwy/Local. More spirited driving. 30.8 mpg.

3d fill up. Same as first, little more A/C use, once or twice into the 75+mph territory. 33.0 mpg.

Have to concur that high RPM's and A/C use are what cost the mpg.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member

I used the AC a lot the first week I had the car but had it on low. It was in the 90's here. It's cooled down now so I hardly ever use the AC. I use the fan, and keep the windows closed. I've heard the AC thing eating up the gas is a myth but who knows?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I still feel that the people that are only getting 25 mpgs have something wrong with their boxes. If they are truly driving right and trying to get the best mpg possible. There should be something wrong with them that the dealers can't diagnose.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member

...Toyota is KNOWN for misrating there MPG...
I own an 05 Toyota Prius and if anything I get BETTER than what Toyota advertises. On average I get 54-56mpg. Filling up I can go almost 600 miles on a tank of gas. The weather (hot/cold) definitly has an effect as well as driving style. People that complain on the Prius boards are stomping on the gas and driving like they're in a race. Of course they're going to get lousy mileage. Having an actual real time readout of what you get for mileage would keep people driving the speed limit. Everyone should learn the secret of pulse and glide...coasting is our friend!

Quick Reply: MPG Help!