First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Need advice on an 04 XB

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need advice on an 04 XB

I have looked at a few other Scion forums, but this is the first one I have signed up for, and hopefully the only one. All the other ones didn't seem to be as active as this one. Well I would really like some advice. I just got back from giving my truck as my lease has ended. I had a Dodge 2500 diesel. I had been making payments of close to $600 bucks a month for it for the last 36 months. I would have bought it, but I was laid off of my job as a Realtor almost three months ago, and I am now unemployed so I wouldn't have been able to get refinanced. I plan on buying a used Ford Powerstroke diesel soon though with cash, and I now have a 2002 Ford Focus that my grandfather bought for me brand new as a gift when I was 19. The car now has 148k miles, and it's gotten to be costly to maintain. It's not the most reliable anymore, and I would say it's ran it's course for me.

Which brings me to the XB. An older woman who lives in my building has an 04 XB. It's got almost 80k miles[79902 to be exact] She originally wanted only $6500 for it which is a bargain already, but she's has it for sale for 8 months now. She hasn't advertised for it or anything so thats why it hasn't been selling, and it doesn't have the for sale sign on it. She can no longer drive because she had a stroke. She has told me this morning though that she would take $5500 cash money! According to KBB this is $2250 under blue book value! Now it hasn't been sitting totally, but it hasn't been driven too much for a little over two years. She has had friends, and family drive her to long distance doctors appointments a bunch since then. She said it's maybe had 4k or 5k miles put on it in two years. She is the second owner, and has owned it since 2006, and it had 56k whens he bought it. I got one of my best friends who is a mechanic to look at it with me this morning. I test drove it, and he checked it out. All was good.

The only thing I don't like about it is there is no temperature gauge. Just a blue light for cold, and a red one for hot. Now my dilemma. This seems like a good car I know a lot of people say the windshield angle causes them to be more prone to chips, and cracks. Thats okay cause I will have full coverage, and a low deductible. Aside from that though are these cars reliable for a LONG time? And if if needs to be fixed is it going to cost me a $750-$1000 each time? I am moving to Imperial Beach California in September from my native Jersey. I am hoping the XB can take the cross country 3000 mile trip. I have a job lined up, so if it is a high cost to maintain this thing I am just gonna take out a loan on a brand new vehicle once I get my job, and get out there. I don't mind making $500 payments a month, and I can afford them cause I know I won't have to spend possibly $3000 bucks to fix it. Now $2500 repair bills I don't have money for. At least with a payment you know what you're getting. I don't know anyone out there aside from the guys i'm moving out there with so I won't know any mechanics, but I can do small maintenance on my own like changing oils, and filters, belts, etc. I have trouble doing alternators, and water pumps on front wheel drive cars though. Rear wheel it's no problem.

So I know the price on the XB is a bargain. Can I depend on it? I plan on buying that, and a high mileage truck so I am going to need at least one of them to be EXTREMELY dependable to get to work. Not something thats gonna be tied up in the shop for a week. Also how much would you all say you pay a year to maintain these cars not counting gas, and regular maintenance? Just on repairs how much does it cost you per year? Thank you in advance!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Buy that XB quick!! Dont worry about the temp light as it is not an issue with these cars. I am in my second 04 xb and it is no at 104k with no mech or any other issue. The first XB had 148k when I moved back to Hondas. As far as long driving no problem I used to drive 180 miles + a day to and from work. There are quite a few of them with over 200k now.
All I can say is it is a great buy a great car you will enjoy it.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Mileage for non-modded / raced xB's is not an issue. If you're really worried about no temp. gauge, you can always add one. All you need is a hose adapter, sensor and gauge. Honestly it won't be an iddue unless you plan on adding an aftermarket turbo or supercharger.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

thats is a great deal on the xb.And as for the drive to get to cali not a problem ive driven mine from cali to kansas city mo,oklahoma city then back to cali with no issues.if you look around the forum you will find turbo setups on xb's hitting the 200,000 mile + mark!!These cars are very reliable as it uses a timing chain not a belt.The real only issue we have is the trunk space and the power..
Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM
SL Member

if you don't buy it i will... i've got a tC and would love to get my hands on an xB aswell.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks a lot guys! The temperature gauge is no big thing. It's not a dealbreaker. One thing I am concerned about, and I am sure you guys who answered would know about is what about all these emissions codes? I have experience with those pain in the rear check engine lights, and codes, and usually unless you feel a change in the car before they come on, they don't mean anything, and all that happens is the light stays on. I have searched on here, and read about charcoal canisters, and the code in the thread above this with the petition. Are these big problems? Usually these things cost like a grand to fix, and the only thing that happens is the light will go out, and whatever BS is malfunctioning starts working up to par again. Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The lack of a temp guage isn't at all bad. You've got the following displays:

Blue: Cold Engine
Red: Hot Engine (slow it up, or else I'm going it to overheat mode)
Blinking Red: About to stall engine (If you don't stop, I will mode)

Anyway, you are also worrying to much about repairs. xB's are made by Toyota. Is Toyota a reliable brand? Well, for the most part yes. That box will last you for many miles to come, and for a deal like that; you should definitely buy it. And, you can always come on here to the forums with any other questions you may have!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JD Huyler
Thanks a lot guys! The temperature gauge is no big thing. It's not a dealbreaker. One thing I am concerned about, and I am sure you guys who answered would know about is what about all these emissions codes? I have experience with those pain in the rear check engine lights, and codes, and usually unless you feel a change in the car before they come on, they don't mean anything, and all that happens is the light stays on. I have searched on here, and read about charcoal canisters, and the code in the thread above this with the petition. Are these big problems? Usually these things cost like a grand to fix, and the only thing that happens is the light will go out, and whatever BS is malfunctioning starts working up to par again. Thanks again!
If the CEL goes on in an xB, there is generally a problem worth researching. The box knows when there is a problem. I've had my box for 2 years with not a single CEL. Actually one when my MAF sensor went bad, but a quick replacement got rid of the issue.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

the charcoal canisters i belive you are talking about are only on the 06+ xb .It was added to the air intake so if you put on a aftermarket one aem,injen etc it would not be legal unless it was made for that year with the carb # but i highly doubt if you got pulled over and had a carb # that they would know that.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright I have made up my mind! Monday I am going to the bank, and take the cash out, and give it to her. All $5500 bucks! If I have problems with it though I am coming after all of you! Haha just kidding. Another dilemma I am having is now I have to get Jersey plates for it, but I will be moving in less than three months. I actually wouldn't mind having a brand new box, BUT I am currently unemployed even though I have something lined up in San Diego for the fall. I might start back my old bartending job under the table for the Summer though, but that doesn't count. So I can't get financed. I do have cash though to buy this one. I probably have close to the amount of money for a brand new one in cash, but I need some of that money for back up in case the job out west falls out, and I need something to push myself by with until another opportunity arises.

Thanks a lot though I am really looking forward to it! I have become distraught about my Focus, and I seemed to have a lot of problems with that in it's old age/high mileage. Granted I was 19 when I got that car, and probably was more abusive of it at the time. So i'm looking forward to the XB!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Honestly, I beat the hell out of mine for the last 150k miles and the only problems I have had have been from the firewall back (and all have been things that I caused, and Im man enough to say that) well... that and some blown struts, but who is counting?

And if you dont buy this car, where is it so that I can?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

no problems with the 2 that I've owned..the first one got totalled...the accident was the only problem

I hope you are the new owner of that box...you got a great price
Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Temp gauge? Scangauge II FTW!!

Will also help with any CEL codes.

And help you keep track of MPG.

Gee, can you tell I love mine? It can be addictive....
Old 06-27-2010, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck JD Huyler and great deal on the box. They are super reliable - tried and trued in Asia and the US. The first gen Xb was all built in Japan - the best build quality.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

as stated just buy a Scanguage II.. it will solve your issue and then some. I sold mine AT 127k and had original clutch,belts,coolant, and rear drums all were regularly checked and in good shape...and new owner has no issues...6 months later
Old 06-27-2010, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks again! It's a done deal Monday morning. I am very reluctant to buy high mileage cars[80k is not high i'm talking over 100k depending on the vehicle] and not because of the mileage, but because I don't know how the original owner[s] treated it the first 100+ miles. Anything I buy brand new or even at 80k miles I guess as long as I see reliability in it I will take it to the moon, and back! Even with 300k miles! Do they sell a Haynes manual for these by the way? I've actually NEVER had an import before, but it seems to be that the Japanese cars[Honda, and Toyota] in particular are the most reliable longest lasting cars when compared to their American counterparts. Then again I'm only 27, and this car will be my fifth!

I've had an 85 Mercury Topaz back in high school, the 02 Focus I have now had since brand new, a 2005 F-250, 2007 Dodge 2500 diesel that I just brought back yesterday as my lease was over, and this will be my fifth though I am looking for a Powerstroke before I move as well. It will have to be fairly high mileage cause everything under 100k that I have seen is over $14000. Even the 2002 models! So I am relying on this XB to be my main commuter car to work in California, and god forbid if this job falls through before I get there then I can use it to possibly commute as far as I have to. Thanks for the advice though! I will post a pic tomorrow hopefully! You have all been very helpful so I am gonna stick around!
Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

parts are cheap and the car is very easy to work on and the manuals are easy to come by. We have them loaded on here for premium members
Old 06-27-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Snap that car up, fast!

I'm closing in on 90k in mine (bought at about 65k 2.5 years ago), and the only non-wear item that's been an issue so far is a bad ABS sensor -- it went out a year ago, and I haven't bothered to take care of it (I actually don't like ABS or traction control - they're terrifying and couterproductive in the snow). Other than that, the car doesn't ask for much. I get 30mpg all winter, 37mpg all summer, and it's a joy to drive.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VIP_CAMO
the charcoal canisters i belive you are talking about are only on the 06+ xb .It was added to the air intake so if you put on a aftermarket one aem,injen etc it would not be legal unless it was made for that year with the carb # but i highly doubt if you got pulled over and had a carb # that they would know that.

All our cars got a charchol canister( it is under the back by the gas tank), part of smog Biggest cause of failure for them is to over fill the tank ( filling clear up in the filler neck causing gas to fill up the canister) do not over fill= no problem.

What you are talking about is a charchol filter in the newer intakes , making aftermarket intakes illegal for smog reasons.

But xB's are really reliable if maintained properly.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JD Huyler
Thanks again! It's a done deal Monday morning. I am very reluctant to buy high mileage cars[80k is not high i'm talking over 100k depending on the vehicle] and not because of the mileage, but because I don't know how the original owner[s] treated it the first 100+ miles. Anything I buy brand new or even at 80k miles I guess as long as I see reliability in it I will take it to the moon, and back! Even with 300k miles! Do they sell a Haynes manual for these by the way? I've actually NEVER had an import before, but it seems to be that the Japanese cars[Honda, and Toyota] in particular are the most reliable longest lasting cars when compared to their American counterparts. Then again I'm only 27, and this car will be my fifth!

I've had an 85 Mercury Topaz back in high school, the 02 Focus I have now had since brand new, a 2005 F-250, 2007 Dodge 2500 diesel that I just brought back yesterday as my lease was over, and this will be my fifth though I am looking for a Powerstroke before I move as well. It will have to be fairly high mileage cause everything under 100k that I have seen is over $14000. Even the 2002 models! So I am relying on this XB to be my main commuter car to work in California, and god forbid if this job falls through before I get there then I can use it to possibly commute as far as I have to. Thanks for the advice though! I will post a pic tomorrow hopefully! You have all been very helpful so I am gonna stick around!

Yea great deal. Post pics.

Quick Reply: Need advice on an 04 XB