First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Need advice on an 04 XB

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

To the OP,

Buy that xB with confidence!!!

I'm 56, and my '04 xB has been the best car that I've EVER owned!!!
(And I've owned a BUNCH of cars/trucks!)

There are three (3) things about the xB that I didn't like, but, I've gotten used to.

1. No gauges. Easy fix, though. Several ways to add gauges, if you want. (Search this site for those ways, including adding a 'pillar' gauge cluster!)
2. No armrest. No problem. Several ways to add one.
3. No cruise control. No problem. Find a comfortable position and keep your foot on the gas.

In 84,400 miles, I've put on two sets of brake pads, one set of tires, changed the coolant, changed the oil/filter (at 3,000 mile intervals), and replaced the battery (last December).

Toyota used to use this slogan for their ad campaign:
"Cheap to keep."

What an understatement!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I did wind up getting it! Felt a little weird driving around in it cause I always thought the XB was a little bit goofy dare I say, but it grows on you after a day or two, and you start to like it, and the lose the goofy vibe. I took it to Boston which is about 370 miles one way the first day I had it. Just to take it for a ride, and get it know it. Averaged about 34-35 miles per gallon. Changed the oil the day I got it as well. Made it to Boston, and back on a tank of gas each. Actually bit under. Had under a quarter of a tank when I got back which was the second tank. I like it, but come a few weeks I won't have any money saved, because I am using it to buy a Ford diesel pickup. I also need whats left for my move to San Diego in case the new job goes south, so this thing better not nickel, and dime me like the Focus! Thanks again! I will take some pictures soon!

EDIT- Also she didn't have the owners manual. If anyone could tell me the maintenance intervals for the coolant, transmission, etc I would be very greatful! I think I came across a post on here that said the oil change intervals were 5000 miles.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ajcadoo
If the CEL goes on in an xB, there is generally a problem worth researching. The box knows when there is a problem. I've had my box for 2 years with not a single CEL. Actually one when my MAF sensor went bad, but a quick replacement got rid of the issue.
One quick question for you if I can bother you. How much was that repair? And did you do it yourself? I would be very greatful for the info. Usually when one of those stupid sensors go it's very costly I have heard. Not for this car, but for all cars. Like upwards of $700+ bucks. Is it easy to change out yourself? I already changed the oil, and air filter on here myself. I have a little trouble doing repairs on the front wheel drive cars, because of the sideways motor, and the access isn't so easy.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

TRD Sparks has replacement MAF sensors for $166. You can change it yourself by removing two screws and a connector. It'sright on the top of the engine on the air intake.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
TRD Sparks has replacement MAF sensors for $166. You can change it yourself by removing two screws and a connector. It'sright on the top of the engine on the air intake.
That easy huh? If the time comes[Knock on wood hopefully it won't] at least I know where I can find the help! I will admit I have sort of a motor skills problem. Thats why I am a realtor, but there are simple things in my realm like oil changes, air filter, brake pads, tire changing, and rotation, belts occasionally, and tune ups if easily accessible.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah, the only regular maintenance I'd suggest letting a shop handle are the rear brakes. Drums suck for DIY, took me 2 hours fighting with the springs when I did it per side. Fortunately, they're good for at least 60k miles. Didn't have to change mine until 100.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Yeah, the only regular maintenance I'd suggest letting a shop handle are the rear brakes. Drums suck for DIY, took me 2 hours fighting with the springs when I did it per side. Fortunately, they're good for at least 60k miles. Didn't have to change mine until 100.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I got my buddy who will fix anything until I leave for California in less than three months. Also is it true that when the check engine light goes off it also sets off the vsc, and traction lights? Or is that only if someone is defective with the traction?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JD Huyler
One quick question for you if I can bother you. How much was that repair? And did you do it yourself? I would be very greatful for the info. Usually when one of those stupid sensors go it's very costly I have heard. Not for this car, but for all cars. Like upwards of $700+ bucks. Is it easy to change out yourself? I already changed the oil, and air filter on here myself. I have a little trouble doing repairs on the front wheel drive cars, because of the sideways motor, and the access isn't so easy.
Bought an OEM maf sensor at a local autozone for about $120. installed it myself...its super easy, located right on the intake and was easily accessible. the easiest install i have done on the car.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

be careful at Autozone, they have a tendancy to provide cheap parts and call them OEM-replacement. if it doesn't say DENSO on the MAF, it's not factory. I've already been burned by Autozone on a water pump and thermastat, and they no longer even carry NGK plugs. In a word, Duralast sucks. Love the free engine diagnostics from them though.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I stay away from Auto Zone as far as parts go. I've bought oil, and fluids, and stuff, but I usually don't even buy that from there cause it's too expensive. I been across the country in San Diego the last four days. Got back, and took the box for a ride. Was excited to be in it again. Gotta get it all ready for the big cross country trip to San Diego in two months! Hoping to also use it sometimes when traveling to Phoenix from San Diego. My little daughter, and her mother recently moved out there with her husband from Detroit for a business opportunity. So I am hoping to take this once a month or every other month[Alternate between the box, and the truck] to visit my daughter which will be a 700+ mile ride. I think one of my tires is out of balance. Might throw on a new set before my move out West. They got a lot of tread, but they are getting a little dryrotted. The woman I bought it from hasn't driven in two years, and they have only put 5 or 6 thousand miles on it taking her to doctors appointments in Philly.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scangauge II is very worth it!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright guys I think I may have a slight problem, but I hope not. Hopefully it's nothing. Didn't wanna make a new thread so I thought I would just add onto here. I bought this car two weeks ago, and it's been great. It's a great car all aroind, and i've put over a thousand miles on it now. I am pretty sure this has been happening since I got the car, but I didn't think anything of it. My buddy the mechanic, and I we had a falling out. We had a little disagreement, and I am sure things will be back to normal soon, but I can't in good conscience call him up about this issue cause I would look terrible, and selfish.

Okay I am under the impression it may be an out of balance tire. Maybe not, but hopefully thats it. When acclerating between speeds of 25-55 mph I get a slight vibration, and I mean a SLIGHT vibration. Not in the wheel, but sort of in the floor. A couple of people who really don't know much about cars tell me it's because this car is so small. I don't know if thats true or a load of crap. I've never had a car this small so I really don't know if their logic is a fallacy or not. I need to add the steering wheel does not vibrate at all though. BUT when braking sometimes the wheel wobbles a little bit. And when on roads that are not the most smooth it will sometimes wobble just slightly around speeds of 35 - 40 mph. So to break it down aside from the wobble it seems to be a minor vibration between 25 and 55 only on accleration. So when coasting at say 40 mph there isn't any vibration at all, but a slight one when acclerating. It seems to go away in between 50 and 55 mph. Now there is no vibration in the wheel aside from the slight brake wobble, and the jagged roads. The car seems to be alligned fine, because when going pretty much any speed on a smooth road I can take my hand off the wheel, and it will not drift at all for about 10 seconds unless it is really windy.

Any ideas? Please tell me it's not the cv joints or front end stuff as I have no luck with front end parts, and would probably be a RICH man if not for the all the money i've sank into front end parts. Now if it's tires thats alright, because I just may get ones all around after Summer anyway. If it's front end stuff I know that stuff goes in excess of $1000 bucks, and while I got a good deal on this car I am pretty much broke after buying it, and the money I would have or make to fix that crap needs to go to other things to live. Thanks in advance! If need be I will make a whole new thread on it, because I need quite a few opinions!