Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Need xB Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Need xB Opinions...

I currently drive a 2002 MINI Cooper S, I love the car and it's a blast to drive buuuuttt I've got a new baby on the way and while the wife and I we're out trying out car seats we came to the conclusion that we have to have a different vehicle.

I know the xB isn't a race car but how are ride quality, reliability and safety? Also, what problems, if any, have you run into? I'm looking at gettting a 05 xB with the cold air intake and borla exhaust.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't driven a Cooper myself, but from what I've heard I think the ride would be similar.

Reliability and safety are like any Toyota product, very good. The xB has not been through crash tests in the states yet, but there is a picture here somewhere showing the Japanese crash test.

I haven't had any problems with mine - besides getting hit in the side. We weren't going fast, so no comment on the safety issue.

Don't get the intake and exhaust from the dealer unless you have to - it's way over priced.

If you need a softer ride, the Tein H springs will lower the car and soften the ride a bit.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another thing you should consider is if you will enjoy driving the vehicle. Did you test drive yet? It's not like a van or SUV, but you do feel as though you are higher off the ground than a car... I'm not sure what the stance of your mini is, but I'm willing to bet it's quite low? xB is still fun to drive, and can take a corner, but that is where the mini shines, so don't expect a similar ride in that aspect either.

Ride quality CAN be rough, how good are the roads where you live :D ? Reliability should not be an issue, it's a Toyota after all.

In terms of the new baby, I think the xB would be a great choice for you, with the space for the seat and giving you space for cargo as well. The higher-than-a-car stance is perfect for getting the baby in and out.

Hope it helps.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info. I've thought about doing the intake and exhaust after market, it's what I did on my MINI.

As far as ride quality, have you ridden on run flat tires in a MINI? It will shake your teeth out. I switched from the runflats to some Yokohamas and my ride got much better.

I drove a 04 xB last weekend for the first time, you do sit much higher but it was a nice change from being below all other car levels.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the safety on the xb is great. my friends brother use to drive one until a accident. he was driving in the desert and the car slipped on a dusty road. the car then rolled over a couple of times and results were only a seat belt bruise. i'm guessing since the xb is shaped like a box, and not round the roof won't collapse on you while its rolling. the dealer also told me that the engine is tilted for a front impact. if there is a front impact engine will then fall to the ground instead of into the cabin. also the car has side impact beams. hoped that helped a little bit

steve
Old 07-13-2004, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB would be a great car for a new family. There is plenty of room to put a car seat and take it out, and there's enough room for all the other goodies like diaper bags, strollers, etc. It's classed as a station wagon, so insurance will be cheaper. It gets good mileage, I've been averaging in the low 30s. Even with the TRD lowering springs, it rides pretty well. I don't think the ride would be harsh enough to wake up a sleeping baby. I just installed a DVD system with a 10" drop-down monitor, which would be terrific at keeping a baby entertained.

For the money, I don't think you could go wrong. There are other vehicles out there, like the Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Mazda 3, etc. that might be good alternatives, but I think the xB would deliver the most value.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

It will suit you well, IMO. You will kill your back if you have to put a baby in and out of a car seat in the mini.

The japanese version crash-tested very well - 5 and 6 stars out of 6. The various pics we've seen around here of accidents in them have always protected the passenger compartment well. Plus, the ABS, TRAC, and VSC also makes it a safe car. Plus my kids LOVE to roll down the windows in back. They've only known an extra-cab Tacoma, the Grand Caravan and the Echo. Only the Echo windows went down and only part way and manually so it wasn't quite the same. First question - Can we open our windows? I guess you've got some time before that...

BTW, congrats on the new scion as well as the possible new Scion.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was in your position a few months ago. i however didn't have a cooper s but test drove a base cooper. my decision was among the xb, xa and mini cooper base.

imo ...

the cooper is a great handler. there is no comparison against other cars in its class. xb handles good to very good in traffic. minumum body roll.

the mini is rougher on pavement. you feel all the bumps and cracks on the road. but the body is very tight and quiet. the xb is louder, engine is rougher and not quite so rough on road surfaces.

roominess. there is no comparison.. xb wins hand down. lots of room for baby and toddlers. i believe that there are not many rearfacing infant seats that would fit in the mini. the one i know that would fit is made by an italian maufacture (primo viaggo). price is outrageously expensive.

price...xb wins ..fully loaded is around 15500. there are not many cars out there in this range.

reliability..xb wins. mini has lots of problems with yo-yo affect and cracked windscreens.

safety.. mini wins. lots of airbags (curtain, side and front)...xb only front. mini body seems thinly made.

acceleration. mini wins. you have to pull hard when accelerate from 40+. it is a car to stay on the right hand lane, imo.

mini uses premium. xb uses regular and higher mpg.

so if you can't spend more than 16000. xb wins (my case)

if you can spend more maybe try a subaru wrx or saab 9-2 since you are coming off a great car with incredible history.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd say that if handling is a question, coming from the Cooper S, a track star, you should consider changing the stock xB suspension and wheel/tires. Adding goldline springs, sways bars, and decent rubber transforms the xB into a very stable, well handling, light weight four door.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default Kids in an Xb..

That is precisely the reason I bought my Xb.

Two kids in the back, this thing has more room than My wifes A6 wagon. At least the back seat does.

As for handling...

I just got pulled over in New hampshire on some back twisty roads. After Driving an Autocross Scirocco for many years, this thing may not Show skidpad mumers, but you can certainly have fun with it. Better rims/tires dont hurt either.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member

thanks for all the replies, this is just what I wanted to hear! I'm going to miss having such a curve slayer but I'm excited about the xB and all the mod potential.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another massive reason to switch from mini to xB is for the baby's safety. The mini is so low, most SUV grills will go over the mini bumpers and hit you face-on. The xB gets you higher up, and puts more car between you and the evildoers. Remember, once you have a child your life is no longer yours but theirs! :D
Old 07-14-2004, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Concider this when purchasing a xb

My sister has two children and she bought an xb. Her main complaint is not enough trunk space. She's only able to fit one stroller in the trunk and baby necessities. The back seat is only able to fit two baby seats and a maybe a third person. Sure there's plenty of leg room and room under the chair, but as for a trunk you might concider somthing else. She does like the fact that she can easily move in and out of the back seat while the kids are in the chair. This is extremly helpful when removing sleeping kids.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default MINI and an xB

I have both a MINI S (with lots of mods) and an xB (Hot Lava with some mods).

The MINI is great to drive, limited interior utility. I do like it better than any car I've owned (and I've had just about everythhing) for driving myself or with one other person.

The xB has great interior utility, limited drive enjoyment. I think it is a very cool car - with Toyota reliability.

Keep both if you can - a great combination. However, the xB is an adequate drive (even for a MINI owner). If you can have only one, given your circumstances, go with the xB.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2004, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't beat the xB for practicality and value at all!

The only downside is that the AC is fairly weak. Seeing that you're in Florida- make sure you test the AC before you buy the car.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Genesis
Concider this when purchasing a xb

My sister has two children and she bought an xb. Her main complaint is not enough trunk space. She's only able to fit one stroller in the trunk and baby necessities. The back seat is only able to fit two baby seats and a maybe a third person. Sure there's plenty of leg room and room under the chair, but as for a trunk you might concider somthing else. She does like the fact that she can easily move in and out of the back seat while the kids are in the chair. This is extremly helpful when removing sleeping kids.
We don't generally use the stroller much these days since the kids are getting bigger, 6 and 4. But I tossed it in the other day and it fits in the back, but that's about all that fits in there. The other space you can use however is the rear seat floorspace since the kids don't use it. Also, when I just have one of them with me, I can split the rear seat and that gives plenty of space too.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

off the topic,

I really think they should make a drawer under the passenger side seat.

Once I bought a watermelon and I thought I left it at the supermarket a day later while driving I heard somthing rolling in the back seat, sure enough the watermelon was just hiding under the passenger seat!

A drawer would be a nice place to put stuff in like cds or even say diapers?
Old 07-14-2004, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

_edit_
Old 07-15-2004, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member

Well, I took the plunge. I'm now the owner of a 05 Black xB. I love it, plus I lowered my payments by $73 and that was going from a lease to a purchase. Sweet!
Old 07-15-2004, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member

good chouice, and if you need more storage are check out the roof rack option by yakama (sp?)

Quick Reply: Need xB Opinions...