Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

New '06 xB Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 AM

Default New '06 xB Owner

I just bought my box, about a week ago I love it. I don't have any pics of it yet but I will be posting some soon. I love this site as well so many ideas not enough time and money. My box is straight stock, auto. My first order of buisness is Wheels and an armrest. I have got some ideas about wheels but I have not decided. I also do not know what I can put on without having to do any modifications or without having any rubbing. If anyone has any suggestions please post them, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I want to lower my box, I live in Indiana and we actually just had a snow storm and it is my only vehicle. That and it seems really low anyways, Lower than the car I traded in Which was a '03 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally Racing Edition. If anybody wants to send me some pictures of their rides I would love to see them, I have almost immersed myself in this site and finding things for my box. As well as looking at pictures, and websites for any ideas I like. My e-mail is cridgway81@msn.com send me a pic or few if you want.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Congrats on the "new" Box...
My recommendation for an armrest is the Boomerang and I say go ahead and lower it, I did, on Tein H-Techs. No complaints on being lowered either cause it only dropped it 1inch!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the box owners club from another '06!

I second the Boomerang armrest. Easy install, very functional.

As far as tire/wheel combos, check out: forums>xB 1st-Gen Owners>Wheel&Tire. There are a ton of posts with sizes, offsets and results there. Very good for research.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

check out my BOP. Its not much yet but it can maybe give you some ideas. but i am lowered though so yeah, thats probably not what you're going for. congrats on your new xB and welcome to the BOP xB club!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Welcome and enjoy all that SL has to offer.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

welcome to another 06'!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Many, Many, Many, Many MODS.....

You MUST get a CABIN AIR FILTER in the empty tray behind your glove box. Sometimes called a pollen filter because it gets full of dust that would fall on your dash. See the TECH section for a thread called "Fabricate your own CABIN AIR FILTER". Buy one at any parts store for about $12, same filter as the 05 RAV4.
Do not buy one from the dealer for $22. Make one yourself after reading and seeing photos of how to pop off your glove box to access tray.

I went down 1 inch with the H-Tech's, but I came back up 1/2 inch with bigger tires.
My goal was to fill the wheel gap and I did so.

Sparks Toyota sells a stock armrest that fabric matches the seats for $72, install is a breeze.

Post up photos.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are adding tires and wheels and no drop here are some things I found that helped.

1) Don't do 215/35-18 or 205/40-17s or anything that height-it looks strange-without being lowered. 205/55-16, 225/50-15 with some fat wheels or something of that nature, 205/50/17 is what I have on the front and it is ok but still a little odd.

2) a rear sway bar helps it handle better without lowering it or changing the ride quality

3) K&N air filter gives it some more power and better mileage (remove the snorkel too-thread here somewhere) but makes it feel like nothing happened because it flattens out the power curve through the mid-range

4) the do it yourself grounding kit helped mine a lot with getting shocked and better throttle response and is really easy and cheap to do

There are a TON of do it yourself things in this site -go to features tab and then go down to tech-took me a while to catch that trick-TON OF STUFF!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I agree with tires sizes except the 205/40/17s are not only to small looking. They are also not weight rated for the xB. I tried to buy that size for my xB at one time from Tire Rack and they would not sell them to me. The proper 17" size for the xB is 215/40 or 205/45/17.
But yeah they will look tiny all exposed in a big wheel gap. Only problem with going to a taller tire is, if you do decide to drop later you may have some rubbing issues. I ran a 215/45/17 and had to remove my 10mm OTG rear spacers cause when I added my 1.5" drop springs that tire size would rub bad on the outter edge of the rear tires. I eventually traded those wheels/tires for my 18" TRDs/Pirellis.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a really good size calculator on 1010tire-you add the sizes and can compare it to stock or other sizes you are looking at
Old 12-19-2007, 03:34 AM
SL Member

I too have a BOP box...what I did to get an idea was to search on BOP or blue onyx pearl in the xB section...checked out the pics and then pick lil things here and there that I liked as well as certain things I would change (it's all up to you...you got to drive it and you got to pay for it). Well happy modding and congrats on the new box.

-Chris
Old 12-19-2007, 02:21 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Congrats on the new 1st gen and welcome to the gang!
WARNING! Beware of that xB-mod bug! Once it bites you, you're done for. Symptoms include:
-Constant washing of the vehicle, even though to others it looks "clean" already
-A dramatic increase in the amount of time you will spend in the vehicle... even though it is parked in the driveway
-A constant need to mess with something on the car, such as stereo, wheels, suspension, lights, etc., etc.
-A wallet that is always empty (because the money has already been spent on mods for the xB)
-A dramatic increase in the number of xBs you will see everyday
-An unusual attraction to all things boxy
-An involuntary tendency to smile every time you see a toaster
-Strange feelings that aerodynamics are highly overrated

Beware! There is no known cure!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to S.L.! This site has plenty to offer and you can spend all day on it!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amen to the modding bug reference!

I couldn't sleep for a weeek because everytime I tried to decide what springs to get I got excited and then worried over making the right choice-now I have my springs and spacers but have to wait until after christmas to have the time to put them in-I have already photo shopped it like 12 times-now I can't sleep because I am excited.

Parts are cheap too (Mostly) so it's an easy and cheap car to do little things (and bigger things) to.

Now I can't decide between a throttle body spacer and ebc brake pads-I need to go start a thread......
Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Congrats on the Box!

as far as springs. I have the hotchkis svt1 kit on mine. the springs lower it a good amount, and it come with front and rear sway bars. the front bar was a pain to get in but all the same it's a good set up that's affordable and fairly easy to put in.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, I am an 'addict' to SL!...after buying my '05xB in 2/05 and told of this site by the sales staff, I have been a faithful fan of this website!

Helpful...and creative...you will get a lot of accessories to consider if you want to spend the $$$