Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]
View Poll Results: What color should this newb buy?
Blue Onyx Pearl
9.76%
Salsa Red Pearl
34.15%
Torched Penny Maziora
31.71%
Shadow Mica
24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

New guy - newb post, asking what color he should get

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New guy - newb post, asking what color he should get

Yes, it's another newb post, asking what color box he should buy.....
I've narrowed it down to Blue Onyx, Shadow Mica, Salsa Red or Torched Penny. The Shadow Mica is down way low on the totem pole, since I don't really think it's a "color", but my wife likes it. I like the Salsa Red, but my wife thinks it's to berry. The blue is a nice deep, rich color, not bright or pastel. The Torched Penny cannot be described. In a good way.
Obviously, there's about a 2 grand difference between the RS4 and all the rest. If I were to get that, I wouldn't be able to do much, if any, modding. Any of the other 3, and I'd be stopping by the tire store on the way home for new wheels, at least.
My plan for any of them is to keep it for a very long time. It will be my daily driver, replacing a 12yo Ford Taurus station wagon that gets 17mpg. We've owned it for 8 years. So the box will probably be here just as long, if not longer. My BIL joked that it will probably be my 8yo daughter's first car.
I'm trying to base my choice of individuality. After all, to me, the xB is the single most oddball car out there. So I don't want TCM. No offense to silver owners, but it was the most popular color last year among all cars, and I'm not following that trend.
So, the Maziora paint would probably be my first choice. I've been hanging out here and at C-XB for a couple weeks, and read the penny on ice thread. I certainly don't want something like that to happen to me.
The Blue and Red are tied.
Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:49 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

The title of your post is so unattractive. Read over your postings people.

I've never seen the Salsa Red in person, or the Shadow Mica. But of your chioces I think I'd like the SM. But seeing as to how that's not your top two I'd probably go with the Salsa then 2tone it. That's when a box looks freaking hot.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default What color

I'm shocked to here some dealers still have a choice.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Salsa red all the way! The salsa red looks good in low light, but really shines when light hits it directly. I really like the blast of color over the blacks and grays.

(Can you tell that I own the xB in salsa red?)

--Richard
Old 03-16-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, my first post and I really screwed it up. Sorry about the title. I had no idea I goofed it that bad.
My username is wrong too. Damn, maybe I should start over. I sent an email to (hopefully) get that corrected. I'm gonna blame it all on lack of coffee and just waking up.
Thanks for the feedback so far.
I wish I could find a BCP, that be the ultimate. At least both my wife and I agree on that one.
At first I found the colors at two different dealers. On Monday we're heading into Atlanta where I found all four in one spot. That way I can see them all together. One dealer near me didn't have a SRP on an xB, but did on a Toyota Sienna.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TPM!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New guy - newb post, asking what color he should get

Originally Posted by Ajayiatch
Yes, it's another newb post, asking what color box he should buy.....
Torched Penny Maziora!!! The last time I was at my local Scion dealer for an oil change I saw Torched Penny Maziora in person for the first time. I liked the pictures well enough, but in person -- WOW!!!! I drooled all over it and I would have traded my Camo xB for it in a heartbeat, but it was . . . an automatic ;^(

Ah well, Camo is still the second best color xB there is . . . .
Old 03-16-2007, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm surprised that you aren't considering black sand pearl and polar white. Although they are neutral colors, I think they really stand out well on the 'B and provide with an excellent shine. However, given your choices, I'd go salsa red. Flame me not, but I'm not a big fan of the torched penny, especially since it looks brown to me. I like the other RS's much better, but that's just me. I haven't had a chance to give the salsa red a really thorough lookover, but it looks nice, although I think it would look even better if it was more of a candy apple red. It seems just a tone too drab.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever color you chose.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Salsa red pearl by far the best
heres a picture
Old 03-16-2007, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Shadow Mica all the way! It's a great color, neutral, but there's a lot of flake in the paint.

My other (non-biased) vote would be Blue Onyx. I'm not really feeling the Torched Penny, plus you're paying a premium for that paint job, so if it's not exactly what you want, don't bother. Either way, you'll be happy.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my BOP!!! Nice deep dark blue!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Re: What color

Originally Posted by Driver_Lost
I'm shocked to here some dealers still have a choice.
Wow - me, too. Even here in SoCal, I'm not seeing many left on the lots. Are you sure you'll have these kinds of choices still available to you?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Batmobox. I want something with pigment. Black and white are too plain. We already have a white car, the wife's mini-van. And I'm not washing a black car every 3 days.
sonofxb, thanks for the pic. I haven't found too many of SRP. The ones I have found all seem too dark. I mean the pic itself, not the car. So it's hard to judge.
Like I said, we're going out on Monday to a dealer that has all 4. Hopefully the sun will be shining and I'll be able to see the flake in the Shadow Mica.
And Driver_Lost and BoxOffice, of the 10 or so dealer's I've searched (online), there's at least 80 xB's for sale around Atlanta. Quite a few are RS4's too.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:34 PM
SL Member

Dont count on what you see advertised on line. Many dealers dont update their inventory in a timely matter.

Of the ones that are left, many have alot of options on them that you may or may not want. I also visited dealer websites, but it was a much different story when I showed up. Oh though as of a couple of weeks ago Salsa red and manuals seemed to still be readily available. Anything else took alot of searching for me.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Very true, but if you are buying used, you can always check carfax.com and see if it the title has switched hands. (Often the dealer supplies the carfax check for free online.) That's what I did, and I got a really sweet deal because the use one that I got my hands on had been in dealer inventory for almost two months.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Cad

I'd go with Blue Onyx Pearl. I have a Black Sand Pearl, but that's all my dealer had left. Don't get me wrong, I love the BSP; it looks great in the sunlight. But like you said, it has to be washed every 2-3 days or it looks filthy. :-/
Old 03-16-2007, 05:13 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Batmobox
although I think it would look even better if it was more of a candy apple red. It seems just a tone too drab.
I'd 2tone it with candy apple red. That'd be the ish.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cad
I'd go with Blue Onyx Pearl. I have a Black Sand Pearl, but that's all my dealer had left. Don't get me wrong, I love the BSP; it looks great in the sunlight. But like you said, it has to be washed every 2-3 days or it looks filthy. :-/
Honestly, BOP isnt much better as far as that goes...
Old 03-16-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

finding wheels for shadow mica is a prob.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

White collects dust like there is no tomorrow. If i had the choice right now to get another color, i'd pick the salsa. the color is nice. i dont know how much or how little other colors show dirt. but the white is ridiculous. i never had a white car - i've owned like 5 black cars before my xb, but i didnt realize HOW FAST a white car would pick up dirt... there are times i'll go to a car wash and when i get the car back to my place, i'll have to go over some areas with a rag to get excess dirt off.... =((((((

anyone make dust repellent? ;]
- sh00k

Quick Reply: New guy - newb post, asking what color he should get