Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

New XB owner, any advice? lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New XB owner, any advice? lighting?

Hey everyone, I just got a 05 XBas a gift and it's awesome! I'm only a senior in high school, and I work part time, however I'm trying to save most of my money for college. I'd like to do a few mods, although I'm trying to keep it cheap.

I really want the blue interior LED lights, but I'm really confused on prices and installation. I'm seeing blue LED kits for $40 here: http://www.scionsportsparts.com/xBint.htm , but on other sites I've found the price to nearly $300. I really would like lights in both the front and back seats, and was wondering if anyone could tell me realistically how much it would cost for this plus installation?

Also, are there any other cheap mods you would recommend? I was thinking of just getting a new shift **** and maybe the OBX sport pedals as a cheap way to mod my XB a bit for now.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2007, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't get the stock underdash lighting, its not worth....by the way I just
recently graduated from high school (early grad.) and I have a part time
Job and I'm paying off my car plus still have money to do some mods.

Get some underdash lights from oznium.com , front,back, cupholders, all
for under $20, install is a piece of cake, do it yourself.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New XB owner, any advice? lighting?

Originally Posted by Y923
Hey everyone, I just got a 05 XBas a gift and it's awesome! I'm only a senior in high school, and I work part time, however I'm trying to save most of my money for college. I'd like to do a few mods, although I'm trying to keep it cheap.

I really want the blue interior LED lights, but I'm really confused on prices and installation. I'm seeing blue LED kits for $40 here: http://www.scionsportsparts.com/xBint.htm , but on other sites I've found the price to nearly $300. I really would like lights in both the front and back seats, and was wondering if anyone could tell me realistically how much it would cost for this plus installation?

Also, are there any other cheap mods you would recommend? I was thinking of just getting a new shift **** and maybe the OBX sport pedals as a cheap way to mod my XB a bit for now.

Thanks!
On this forum check under Features for the Tech section. Some things there are answered and helpful.

Not only no, but HELL NO, don't spend $300 for the lights. Others can be had and are better priced. Click around the tech, do some searches, and if you can't find what you are looking for ask. Some wing-nut will _____ about you not searching but it's been my experience that the search works better if you know what thread you are looking for and less when you don't.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:43 PM
SL Member

yah, $300 is a lot for crazy lights
plan out what you want, and look at what other people have done
Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: New XB owner, any advice? lighting?

Originally Posted by Y923
Also, are there any other cheap mods you would recommend?
Theres some good info here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71292
Old 02-18-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Randode.com has A blue light kit for $80...just got mine in the mail today...waiting for the warmer weather to put them in.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 AM

I just put my blue light kit from Randode.com in yesterday... it rocks! Easy install too.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:27 AM

Installation price is really going to matter on what and where you want the lights. Doing it yourself is always an option. Where are ya located?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would definitely go with the Randode kit, the installation is simple. I didn't start with the factory kit, but some other peeps on here have said Randode's is alot brighter.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's awesome that you got the xB as a gift and you're actually humble about it and not talking all kinds of crap about what you're going to do but never get around to it like a ton of us younger guys seem to do. Mad props to you for that.

I agree with some of the others, check out www.oznium.com and you will be happy at the cheap prices. I haven't personally done the install on my car, but it's a piece of cake to do it yourself.

Congrats on the new car. Your small cheap mods will get done and you will get addicted and never want to stop modding...just a warning haha.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey man do you know how to solder?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:27 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would also go with the randode kit very easy install and are a great lighting kit when i get my next xb i will be installing these again
Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey thanks for all the replies!

I do know how to solder, but I'm a bit afraid to do the installation...haha. According to randode, it says their is no drilling or cutting required. What does it take to install these lights?

There's a stereo shop near my house that I go to that says they can install LEDs in the front and rear for $100. Do you think that would be easier or are the ones on randode super easy to install?

And salteen, thanks for the props. I really love the car the way it is, and I'm actually even afraid to do the lights! From your experience, are lights worth it or do they end up just looking tacky if you have nothing else done?

Thanks again for everyone's responses!!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Don't know whjere you live but it might be a good idea to get with one of the great Scion clubs out there. Scokotics, Scienergy, ScioNRG, Scion Evolution all have great people in their membership and many of them are very helpful.

Also... I saw someone recommend Randode's lighting kits earlier. They work very well and I recommend them highly.

Be sure to put your car on our site, Scionetics.com, as well. We're not really a club but we are a good place to find one to hook up with.

Enjoy your new Scion!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 PM

I'm an installation moron! I too had great hesitation on doing the light install. The Randode lights are really that easy! It took me about an hour and a half because I'd pause and reflect after each step, it really could be done in about a half hour by somebody who wasn't so petrified to screw something up. It's that easy!

BTW. I got the LED's for the cup holders at the same time (extra $30 I think) you do have to drill 2 small holes in the cup holders for that but it all came in one wiring harness... very clean, very easy.

Don't fear.... just do it! Well worth it and not tacky at all!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jambo, do the randode lights come with complete instructions?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:41 PM

Yes... fully outlined step by step for morons like myself:

step 1) disconect black battery terminal (LOL)

To be honest, there are a couple steps I wish there were photos with... i.e. he mentions a couple of loops under the seats that I couldn't find so I eventually just decided to tie the bulbs up where I thought would work best. When I got done I realized I agonized over it more than I had to.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had never done any electrical installs on a car, EVER. I bought the Randode kit, followed the instructions and it took me about an hour. It was super easy. Like jambo1 said, I had a issue finding the loops under the seat he spoke of so I just cut small slits in the fabric that covers the bottom of the seats and ran the zip ties through that. Trust me Y923, if I can do this install you can. If you have any questions hit up Randode, do a search for him, he'll answer any questions you have, usually pretty quickly.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 PM

I'm in the same situation as the original poster, although it's been about a decade since I was in high school. I don't have any car mod experience, and my background has nothing electrical in it, so I too am a little hesitant to tinker around with my xB, although I've absolutely fallen for the interior lighting concept.

I had found the Randode link in another thread and it looks almost too good to be true. I'm glad to see so many people recommending it and will probably look into that. My question is exactly how does that kit install? That is to say, does the switch mount in the console or up on the "oven" beside the airbag light, and if I were to get the cup holder LEDs or anything additional, how hard is it to tie all that stuff into one switch.

Basically, I'm a car mod noob in middle-of-nowhere West Virginia looking for some kind souls to help out a beginner. Thanks in advance. This forum has been a huge find for me.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:35 AM

How does it install? The instructions walk you through removing the center console between the seats. Hanging the bulbs via zip ties under the dash and under the seats. Installing the rocker switches in the console (pop out the rectangle covers that are already there). Plug everything in to the wiring harness provided. The power is provided by a hook up under the center console. Put everything back together, hook the battery back up and you're good to go.

I got the cupholder LED's at the same time. Everything was prewired in the same harness, ready to go. It came wired with a second rocker switch for the LEDs but I don't see any reason you couldn't hook everything to the same switch if you wanted.

I tell ya what, find the rectangle plugs under the "oven" that the rocker switches pop into. You can pop them out with your thumb nail. If you can get one of those out, you can install these lights... it's that easy.

Quick Reply: New XB owner, any advice? lighting?