Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

no name ebay header or 300$ weapon racing header ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default no name ebay header or 300$ weapon racing header ??

I have been searchn and readn old forum post on the subject and am more torn now than ever . Is there any consistence of agreament on headrs ? best fit and low band gain is my goal .

P.S. first gen box rox( we got 2 reverse lights and 2 more windows haHA
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

If you even have to ask that question you shouldnt be modding your car. Jk But seriously no name header on ebay. Is just asking for messing up your ride. I can name a few that people use. Dc sport header, DME Header, Weapon R Header, Greddy Header. Those are all quality brands.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Umm no name brands work just as good... i have some no name brand crap.. people said the same thing about raceland "i would never put that crap on my car" and it is a good product.. do what you think is best try and look on you tube also for some videos.

People love sony for a reason.. its because of the NAME
Old 04-09-2010, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its not htat I dont know , and if I didnt know how is someone to learn but if not to do ?"Live each day as it was your last , and learn as if you were to live forever " Ghandi . JK I pretty much had determined on the weapon , but just tryn to get as much real time intell as possible . try to learn from experiances of others , to avoid trial and error , cuz errors a "_____"
Old 04-09-2010, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

TO lifesatirp :Well said ! karma on man . if i said magnetbox and not magnavox you would scoff .
Old 04-09-2010, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

all the show modders and "pro" aka old people with money will tell you don't skimp. considering how headers are a REALLY basic part, do what most do, including myself, and go for the ebay one. it's probably like 80 bucks, and there's a thread somewhere that talks about it. it works fine, looks fine, costs fine.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got an ebay sri, ebay exhaust, and ebay header. Never had any problems with any of them, and my car sounds nice. Enough said. I don't have to lay down a ton of cash to be happy.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think Ebay headers are fine. It's an exit exhaust system, not something that goes in or controls your engine.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I still stick by comment. There is a reason why brand names cost so much. Cause there name says we make quality products. That are reliable, They go thru hundreds of hours of R&D. Before they sell them. Because they want quality material and quality welding. And if you have a problem there is always a number to call or even get a replacement. Thats all in the price.

Now granted ebay is great and sell cheap parts. And some parts work. But there is no quality control between good and bad. Can you really judge a product by looking at a picture? No not really. Your buying parts at your own risk. You dont know if the welds are quality, or the metal. Are they cutting edges? Or using sub standard materials. Are they even telling the truth about there product? Has it been tested enough that it wont break or crack? Or melt pieces of your engine compartment. Now remember i said some ebay parts work.

But im not willing to risk that chance. Id rather trust an auto industry thats been around a long time that publishes there results online, magazines and at Sema. Its proven on and off the track. And is always guaranteed quality.

Im not bashing ebay. Cause I have bought parts there to. But I knew I was buying stuff at my own risk.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CSUnited14
Umm no name brands work just as good... i have some no name brand crap.. people said the same thing about raceland "i would never put that crap on my car" and it is a good product..
People love sony for a reason.. its because of the NAME
Agreed. Some generic stuff is okay, just as good, or better in a few cases.

Some shouldn't even be thought about.

No one will see the header, it's all depending on adding one extra HP for an expensive one or the sound you're looking for. I have the Megan Racing header, it sounds good up until about 5,500 or 6K rpms. I would have spent more on a Weapon R now that I know.

Funny thing I read about Sony recently: Samsung makes the LCD screens for some of their TVs. Samsung is a quality company, don't get me wrong, but their stuff is usually a bit cheaper than Sony.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

weapon r it is . thanx guy/gals . if it didn't need to endure the heat i might go cheap
Old 04-10-2010, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Some of the "Ebay brands" make decent products but I personally don't trust a lot of the ebay crap. I like the piece of mind that owning a quality product brings. I actually have a Megan header on my xB and I really don't like it. Megan isn't the worst, but it certainly isn't the best. But it's your money and your box man, do as you please.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by spiderbradman
weapon r it is . thanx guy/gals . if it didn't need to endure the heat i might go cheap
You will like. Are you going with the 4-2-1 or the 4-1 header? I did the 4-2-1 and wrapped it.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spiderbradman
I'm glad you got an answer.

If it wasn't such a b**** to remove the header and install another one I might think about it. It's absolutely no fun so I'm leaving it. haha.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does any one know if 4-2-1 or 4-1 give the most low band gains ? How hard could it be to swap header ? I don't have much experience w/mechanics but so far the box is a breeze. Anyones hands on hints or tips would be great.

Weapon r just sounds cool , worth at least the extra it's going cost.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

weapon -r is one of the better sounding ones i have heard for the TC.. the box im not sure.. 4-2-1 you have better low end torque
Old 04-10-2010, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

4-2-1 will give better low end grunt for sure. However, it's not a massive difference when comparing against the 4-1. With the i/h/e setup I'm running, the end result is a low solid tone that is nice and throaty, no ricey rasp.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130126

a lot of time you just pay for the name and the parts are made in the same place by the same company
Old 04-13-2010, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by lifeisatrip1986
But seriously no name header on ebay. Is just asking for messing up your ride.
Please search before making statements like this. There are many happy people on here with the $50 ebay header. It's a well made product that is easy to install and is a major upgrade over the small tubed stock part.
Name brand xB headers are fine if you can afford a "name" but with the small gains to be made the ebay header is the best bang for the buck hands down!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ True story.

And yea, the 4-2-1 will improve the lower-mid powerband, 4-1 improves more up top.

I have the Weapon-R 4-2-1 and I really like it.

Quick Reply: no name ebay header or 300$ weapon racing header ??