Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Not just another cracked windshield post

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default Not just another cracked windshield post

I've been doing research on the xb, and it sounds like the perfect car for my needs. It's wierdly stylish, fuel efficient, and has enough room to road trip with the girlfriend. I hear absolutely rave reviews from every owner I've spoken to, and in nearly every review I've read, with one exception. Windshields are cracking right and left. I've read of people being on 2nd to 6th windshields at $300 - $800 a piece, and Toyota denies all responsibility. This is my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong. I can't rationalize purchasing a new car, with $350 a month payments plus a new windshield every month. Suddenly we've doubled the payments. I could buy an Explorer for that. So what's the solution? Surely not everyone is just buying new windshields. Or driving around with one cracked all over the place. Has anyone found a supplier of the polycarbonate Lexan windshields? I've got one for my camaro, but I've searched here and google, and find no such thing for the xb. I will buy this car if there is a reasonable solution to the problem. Where's the lexan?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had my box for 5 months, 6000 miles, in DWF metro of Texas, no windshield problems yet.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

It will be 2 years and over 50K come April no cracks for me.
94 miles a day Mon. thru Fri. on 95 and 495.

Scott
Old 12-23-2006, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got two xB's, and both of them had identical cracks, 5 months apart (the crack starts on the left (when you are sitting inside the car looking out) and spreads right, with an S shaped bend. Both cars the same).

Both have been switched and neither have had problems since. My insurance covered it both times with nothing out of pocket. My wifes got changed out yesterday.

For reference, I drive 100 miles a day in my box, and have put 16,000 highway miles on since May 2006, my wifes has 6,000 miles since July 2006.

Yes it's an issue, but it's not as big of an issue as you may have been led to believe.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member

I've read all about the problems with them, and I've seen others with similar experiences. For those who can't seem to get the problem solved, is there a lexan windshield provider for this car? Or some sort of warranty that people have found?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

12,000 miles on mine and no windshield issues. I believe I saw a product one time that applied to the edges of your windshield to prevent cracks.The product was similar to a "clear bra". The ad claimed that 90% of rock cracks started at the corners or edges.It didn't get applied to the wiper areas. I have not been able to find the product since I saw that ad.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IamthePan
... Or some sort of warranty that people have found?
A warranty might be created as was done for the Element, if enough people respond to the thread on "class action suit".
Old 12-24-2006, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Perhaps but c'mon. You're driving something with a very steep incline for a windshield. Jeep has the same problems. Get Comprehensive coverage with a $0 deductible on your insurance and let them handle the windshields. They even reimberse you for tint. Had it done actually. Caught a rock and within an hour had an 8 inch crack on the windshield.
The rock just caught it in the right spot I guess. Anyway, had a new windshield that day and they came out to my house to fix it. It took them half an hour and I sent the tint bill to the insurance company and they paid me for it. AND, and I stress the And part, filing on your comprehensive does not go as a mark on your insurance. Filing on collision does that. Comp is there for stuff like this.

*EDIT* Let me put this in here. When I say $0 deductible, I mean for glass. My box has a $250 comp/collision. That's $250 each. Windshields fall in a seperate catagory and therefore are usually free of charge. Talk with your insurance company and see what they offer for glass coverage. It's usually covered in Comp but might be different depending on the company.

I say this because I really don't see the dealerships or the company putting a warrenty on a windshield that takes damage from rocks and road debris. Granted, if the box is sitting in the garage and magically the windshield cracks and it can be pointed at faulty product as opposed to normal wear and tear, then okay.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nobody drives farther, harder than I do. My box is 19 months and 56,000 miles. I drive mountains, desert, city, beaches every week. It goes 5 mph on city frewways and 95 mph getting home. I have no problem doing 80 mph going through the mountains. I haul all my parts I use on my job in this thing and my tools.

In all this time I still have my original windshield. My only complaint is the cheap rear door lift handle. It is flimsy and has broken on me. I have repaired, made it better and stronger, then reinstalled it. Every box owner should take theirs off and perform this simple modification - even you.

Buy the car, you will not regret it. I love it. It has incredible room inside, very comfortable and lots of visibility. I still have stock wheels and tires and they do just fine.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 26k on mine and had to replace the windshield one time,. Keep in mind I am living in Germany and I was going 85 MPH and a rock hit the window.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UBOW
... My only complaint is the cheap rear door lift handle. It is flimsy and has broken on me. I have repaired, made it better and stronger, then reinstalled it. Every box owner should take theirs off and perform this simple modification...
How can we do this? Is is described in some other thread or DIY?
Old 12-24-2006, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my winshield looks like sandpaper. its just the angle. like posted above. whens the last time youve seen a wrangler owner without some winshield pits or cracks?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you get your XB see if your dealer offers this,

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...991&highlight=

Its great product, the discription is at the bottom, as well as a link. Its a huge difference and a one time thing. Look around in your area for it.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... I didn't take photos of what I did, sorry. but I can descibe it simply enough....
Thanks for the hatch handle write up. Must this be done before the handle comes off or whatever? Or can it be done after the problem happens? The question is, when the problem happens, does something break and have to be replaced before this upgrade repair can be done?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

get the car
Old 12-24-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm on my fourth windshield but I drive 120+ miles per day and part of that's on the interstate. I wouldn't let it deter you from buying the car. If you know the dangers and react to them, you will not have any major worries about the windshield, although things can still happen. The biggest thing is to stay away from 18-wheelers, dump trucks, and anything else with large wheels and no fenders.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... I didn't take photos of what I did, sorry. but I can descibe it simply enough....
Thanks for the hatch handle write up. Must this be done before the handle comes off or whatever? Or can it be done after the problem happens? The question is, when the problem happens, does something break and have to be replaced before this upgrade repair can be done?
Do it before. All owners should. This should be a "must-do" preventative maintenance.

The tell-tale sign it's gonna break is the middle of the handle flexes and you see a gap when you lift the door open. That gap means the two clip fasteners are weakened/cracked and now more stress is going to be applied to those stand-offs. It is only a matter of time before one stnd-off breaks entirely.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do it before. All owners should. This should be a "must-do" preventative maintenance....
OK. It looks like the write up has moved, but I copied it and have a question. You say:
7 - I used a 7/16" drill bit and made a hole in the cap mostly on the side and a little on the top.
It may be evident after we get into it, but what does drilling a soft drink cap "mostly on the side and a little on the top" mean?
Old 12-25-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Do it before. All owners should. This should be a "must-do" preventative maintenance....
OK. It looks like the write up has moved, but I copied it and have a question. You say:
7 - I used a 7/16" drill bit and made a hole in the cap mostly on the side and a little on the top.
It may be evident after we get into it, but what does drilling a soft drink cap "mostly on the side and a little on the top" mean?
Someone started a new thread on this subject for me and added a tech article. Than you.

The answer to your question is in that new thread https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153945
Old 12-25-2006, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My windshield is fine after 1.5 years. But if it concerns you, make sure you have insurance coverage, and then don't sweat it. Just don't tailgate trucks.

I suppose you know that the current xB has ceased production, so if you want one better move quick. The 2008 xB, which becomes available in late Spring, is a different car which you may or may not like better.

RichC

Quick Reply: Not just another cracked windshield post