Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Not just another cracked windshield post

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

i had my 05 bop for 1 yr and then gave it to my g/f and after 16000 miles still not a crack yet, even on the high way i have had pebbles and rocks hit it but no cracks yet
Old 12-25-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skgiant80
... after 16000 miles still not a crack yet, even on the high way i have had pebbles and rocks hit it but no cracks yet
In the Honda Element class action suit, I heard that it was shown that many of the cracks were due to stress in the glass from the way it was installed too close to an edge, or because primer and paint had been applied too thick around the opening and was contacting the glass. When the glass is under stress, many things can cause a crack to release the stress:
Hot defroster on a cold day.
Hot sun on part of the glass.
Cold water on hot glass.
Normal body flexing.
Impact from rock with or without chip.

In installations where the glass is not under stress, impacts may not usually cause a crack.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I just got my 3rd windshield installed on Friday. Damn salt trucks destroy my windshield. Of course, just my luck, there's a HUGE leak near the center of my windshield on the top bead. Not only is the wind seeping in when I drive (noticeable whining sound) but water got in. I'm not happy and plan on tearing the glass replacement company a new one.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Professor_Murder
I just got my 3rd windshield... there's a HUGE leak near the center of my windshield on the top bead....
If it is a Pilkington windshield, they are known for being bowed in the center and it may take a mess of goop to stop the leak. Better to have used either a Fuyao or PPG windshield with a new OEM seal.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member

So the story is the same. The majority have no issues whatsoever. While a select few are doomed to replace windshields regularly. So if the factory glass has the potential to easily suffer catastrophic damage, what are the replacement options? I know I can buy glass from other manufacturers, but is there anyone selling lexan for the xb?
Old 12-28-2006, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IamthePan
... The majority have no issues whatsoever. While a select few are doomed to replace windshields regularly. So if the factory glass has the potential to easily suffer catastrophic damage, what are the replacement options? ... is there anyone selling lexan for the xb?
When one car has repeated windshield replacements and other cars have none, the glass might not be the cause. The recess in which the glass lays may have a build up of primer and paint such that the glass is too close or touching the body, stressing whatever windshield is installed. A windshield under stress is just waiting to be releived of it by a crack. This was mentioned as one contributor of windshield cracks in the Honda Element lawsuit, and the factory was able to eliminate this cause.
The best replacement options are the Fuyao or PPG windshields mentioned above, with a fresh OEM gasket seal. No one has mentioned Lexan as a replacement option.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of all, when doing a thread like this, which is essentially a poll, you're not going to get results that are representative of the target population because of what is called "response bias". Since people are free to respond, or not, the responses are squed toward the people who feel very strongly about the issue and take the time to respond. In this case those people are the ones who have had problems, especially those people with repeated problems.

Secondly, I dont think the scions are necessarily prone to spontaneous cracking like the elements were, you seemed to assume that after reading about people with multiple problems. There are a couple ways to explain the instances of repeated cracking.
        Old 12-28-2006, 06:07 PM
        10 Year Member
        5 Year Member
        SL Member

Originally Posted by SkuzzleButt
        ... I dont think the scions are necessarily prone to spontaneous cracking like the elements were...
        So in the case of the xB, if an owner has more than one cracked windshield, it is not due to the windshield or the car, but due to following too closely, bad luck, and cheap replacement windshields?
        And trying to drum up a class-action lawsuit to get an Element-type, retroactive ,60,000-mile windshield warranty, is a waste of time?
        Old 12-28-2006, 07:21 PM
        10 Year Member
        5 Year Member
        SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
        Originally Posted by SkuzzleButt
        ... I dont think the scions are necessarily prone to spontaneous cracking like the elements were...
        So in the case of the xB, if an owner has more than one cracked windshield, it is not due to the windshield or the car, but due to following too closely, bad luck, and cheap replacement windshields?
        And trying to drum up a class-action lawsuit to get an Element-type, retroactive ,60,000-mile windshield warranty, is a waste of time?
        no no, im just offering alternative explanations, looking at all possibilities, and attempting to identify causes for people that need new windshields regularly. Of course our boxes are more likely to get chips, just like jeeps, but thats common sense, look at the shape of the windshield.

Also, emphasize spontaneous, you must not of understood what I was saying.
        Old 12-29-2006, 02:15 AM
        5 Year Member

I understand your position, but my intent was not to begin a poll at all. My intent was not to find out who in this forum had issues with cracking windshields, but what solutions they had come to besides repeated windshield replacement. I'm looking for someone who had found a warranty available to cover windshield, or for a manufacturer that had " built a better mousetrap" Obviously in some cases there is an issue with perpetually faulty windshields. So what's the miracle fix?
        Old 12-29-2006, 04:25 AM
        Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
        5 Year Member
        SL Member

My box is on it's 4th windshield:

1) Vandalism (four chunks of concrete).
        2) First replacement (Pilkington) rejected by me because of poor fit.
        3) Second replacement (Fuyao) took a rock at approximately 210 MPH, broke both layers of glass.
        4) Third replacement (PPG) still in with no problems for over a year.

Best glass was possibly the Fuyao, which appeared to be thicker, and optically extremely good.

Yeah, my box is on it's fourth windshield, but none were it's fault.

Tom

* That very fast rock was about 1 inch in diameter and came off the top of an oncoming semi tire. The truck was doing about 70 MPH, so the rock came off the top of the tire, directly at my windshield, at about 140 MPH. Add the 70MPH speed of my box and the impact was at roughly 210 MPH.

T
        Old 12-29-2006, 06:12 PM
        10 Year Member
        5 Year Member

SL Member

I know my issue is just because of the environment I live in and my commute. My box is my daily commuter car (my only car actually) and I drive a major thoroughfare 33 miles each way to work. If it snows they start sanding and salting the road and of course that stuff gets kicked up into my windshield.

I'll have to see what brand windshield I got installed. I brought it back a second time to get the leak fixed and they got a majority of it. But now when I drive anywhere over 40mph there's a pinhole leak that whines like a banshee. It's incredibly irritating and now I have to wait until NEXT week to drop my car off and have it fixed.
        Old 12-30-2006, 02:23 AM
        5 Year Member

I need to get mine replaced. I got a rock right in the middle of the windshield on the highway one day & then a week or 2 later & find a "S" shape crack at the left side of the drivers side.

& I know it isn't the driver cause this is the very 1st windshield I have ever had that needed to be replaced.