Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Not Scion fault but Beware of Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Not Scion fault but Beware of Jiffy Lube

I been having a problem with my Xb it started missing and no one could fiqure out the problem. Well the mechanic at my local dealer finaly found the problem. There is a metal baffle that sits at the bottom of the neck where oil is put in to the car be careful when you put oil in and do not bend this down. I use Jiffy Lube and they obviously pushed this down they used a metal nozzle to put the oil in. This in turn broke off and went thru the engine broke off the sensor for the crank this has polluted the whole motor with plastic and metal and we are still not sure on the extend of the damage. Jiffy Lube in the past few weeks has closed all of the centers in West Virginia where I am at. So I have faith in Scion but either I will change my own oil after this or the dealer will change it. Thanks all of you that gave me ideals on the problem and how to fix them and the advice I have is to wacth the baffle at the bottom of the neck of your oil spout.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

what crap

I hope JiiifyLube does the righ thing by you

good luck
Old 07-11-2008, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

DIY FTW!!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitej47
DIY FTW!!!!
x10,000

I used to manage a "quick lube" type store many years ago. I would never bring my car to those types of places...I know better.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

it is very easy to do an oil change in the box
Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow......us everything covered or is it out of pocket for repairs?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

We've replaced plenty of Nissan engines cause they were screwed up by JL!
Old 07-12-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

When I worked at a Jeep dealership, a lady came in for a repair and the tech noticed her dipstick was missing. She said she had just come from JL. We called the place, gave them a ration and they said they would send someone down with it. A little while later, in walks the JiffyLube guy, with a HANDFUL of dipsticks. It looked like a bouquet. They had obviously done this many times.

Also Walmart used a filter wrench to put my filter ON one time. It punctured a hole in the side which started dripping and got caught in a frame part until I pulled in my driveway and it dumped out all over. Now I'm strictly DIY...
Old 07-12-2008, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Walmart lost my oil pan gasket and didn't tell me. I found out when I changed my oil myself. DIY FTW
Old 07-12-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ggguy77
Walmart lost my oil pan gasket and didn't tell me. I found out when I changed my oil myself. DIY FTW
uh. why are they taking off your oil pan during an oil change in the first place? Thats like bending over for the dentist...
Old 07-12-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by kileil
uh. why are they taking off your oil pan during an oil change in the first place? Thats like bending over for the dentist...

The one at the drain plug.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

always, ALWAYS, change your own oil.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jiffy lube stole my moms phone out of her car 10 years ago... havent gone back since. entirely preventable, but still...
Old 07-12-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

lol do not go to jiffy lube unless you or someone you know works there and can do it yourself i would never let them do my oil change ....i worked at a jiffy lube last year i will say on behalf of them JIFFY LUBE DONT CARE!!!..there was s ting and a few jiffy lubes in the kc mo area got shut down ...this is how it went on at the jiffy lube i was at...they would try and sell ya ish ya do not need or try and tell ya that something was wrong and was not..if you are a rude customer we did have @$$ job if you were just going way to far we would not even change the filter or if we did not carry the filter then you were out of luck as well.im not proud of this and just did as i was told and yes i got another job and watched this go on...right before i left my manager was telling a customer that he sees residuall or some crap in her oil so i went to the top bay and was like i serviced this car and did not see that and me and the manager got into because i did not want this lady cheated ..if you can find a honest one then you are ok but its hard ..the reason no one cares is because jiffy lubes treat the workers like crap, low pay and no advancement
Old 07-12-2008, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow, that sucks to hear, I hope if they do screw you over that they will Jiffy Lube YOU first at least.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear that. I do the standard maintenance on all 4 of our vehicles including 2 xBs. I just don't trust other folks to do it right, especially a quick lube place.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:19 AM

thanks guys for the support Scion has offered to reinburse me $300.00 on the parts The dealer said they would give me a discount on the repair even though I have to pay out of pocket it does help and your words of support helps so again thanks and I will let you know how it goes
Old 07-13-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Steer clear of jiffy lube...

I cant even count the number or Chryslers and Dodges that come into the shop with stripped oil plugs, or over tightend filters (the filters are just a pain to come off) but the stripped plugs cause big problems. (new plug being not a big deal but a whole new oil pan being a big deal) costing the customer big bucks just cus Jiffy lube doesnt know wtf they are doing.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fight them till the bitter end to get them to cover the damage. i also worked at a "quick libe" joint and after two weeks of seeing the f*cked up crap that went on their i quit.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kileil

Quick Reply: Not Scion fault but Beware of Jiffy Lube