Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Odd smell in vent system

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default Odd smell in vent system

When i switch from defroster to heat/cool air or from a/c to regular cool air (doesnt matter if its fresh air or recycled) it smells musty and like a really concentrated and disgusting smelling version of the air freshener in my car. Anyone have any ideas on how to change this? 1 thing to note is that i opened a peach air freshener and it smelled very strongly, so it put it in my glove compartment for maybe a week. Does the vent take air from the filter behind the glove compartment? i figure that may be the simple answer to this question. If so, would changing that filter make a difference?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yes it does pull that air.

if you've never put a cabin air filter in, you don't have one.

I made my own out of a furnace filter wrapped with swiffer cloths. you could put an air freshener in it too.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe the smell was strong enough to get in the dust and crud on your blower, heater core or evaporator. Because if you don't have a vent filter, there's bound to be some crud built up in there. I'd first put in a homemade pollen filter. Use the kind made using the furnace filter with the activated charcoal. Also clean the recirculate screen.

If the smell doesn't go away or lessen enough to not bother, you may need to take it to a shop. It sounds like you've got some crud and mold on your evaporator. There's a spray they can use to kill the mold and clean it out. You might be able to get something similar at an auto parts store and DIY. You get the smell when the defrost or A/C is on because of the moisture condensing.

To prevent the problem in the first place, put in a filter, turn off your defroster or A/C, leave the fan on and put the vent to outside air a couple minutes before you park. That's usually enough time for the moisture to evaporate and prevent the mold. Also make sure the hose that drains the condensation isn't blocked or disconnected- there might be TSB for it.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Smell with blower on

I know the smell you're talking about. To me it smells like a vacuum cleaner bag.
It seams to be the strongest when you first turn on the a/c. Than gradually goes away

My RS 3.0 was the cleanest box in the country, until the deer hit it. I also installed a cabin filter at the dealer before I left. Never eat in it, garage kept, ext.

I think I know whats going on. The condensation forming on the evaporator coil traps allot of junk in the air, and on the coil. Kind of brings life to all the dry junk collected in the system over time.

I'm on box 4, and 3 out of four do it. The 4.0 is a little too new yet .

I installed a hot all the time accessory out let, and have a ionizer going all the time in the boxes. It helps.

I even have a filter on my return air. Its a registier filter from Homer.

Looks ready to be changed.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not just change the cabin air filter we do them all the time in toyotas
Old 12-03-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

To help eliminate musty smells from the a/c system it helps if you let the blower run awhile after turning off the a/c. It helps dry out the system from the moisture that gets trapped inside when shut off too soon. If left alone it could develope into full blown mold and may require case disassembly to clean it out. You might also have your case drain hole checked to make sure it is not plugged with leaves and other debris that would stop the water from draining out. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there was a problem in the 04 05 xb's with drain line coming loose and letting the floor get wet which could cause an oder, may or may not help
Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Yes, that was a differnet problem with an easy fix.

I ordered that stuff you spray right into the evap. case. It foams up and fills the case and cleans all the mold out leaving it like new again. I could only order 5 cans for like 61 bucks shipped. Hope it works as promised. We'll see???