Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

OK this is what is happening

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member

Default OK this is what is happening

So i have had my scion for a couple of months now, and i love it to death, everything except or the Cd player, it came with the 6cd mp3 in it, So i use only burnt cds and about 2 months ago it started giving me an error 4 when ever it would have to change to another disc, so i take it into my local Courtsey Toyota and Scion, where i bought my xb from orginally, and they said that there was nothing wrong with the system and it was in prefect condition, and they told me that the cd player really wasnt meant to be playing burnt cd's and that i should try not playing as many burnt cd's. So now it is getting to the point in which i cannot put in a new cd Burnt or not, and i cannot take ne cds out of my car. and i know that cds are a dime a dozen so when ever i see one with ne scratches on it i just throw it out unless i bought in instead of burnt it. So i as wondering if there was ne thing i can do i have tried my dealership and i can get ne thing done so is there another means in which i can get this fixed other then just replacing the radio. Ne help is much appericated
Old 12-19-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it play CDs you bought or do those not work now either? Sounds like they just dont want to replace a radio though.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is nonsense. The unit is designed to play MP3 CDs which are, by definition, burned CDs. (There are no manufactured, or "pressed," MP3 discs.)

Your unit is defective. If the dealer is stiffing you, go to a different Scion dealer (any Scio dealer can do warranty work) and/or contact Scion customer service directly.

(Make sure your discs play properly in several other players first, so they can't blame your burner or software.)

RichC
Old 12-19-2005, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have to agree with Rich and what he said, I would test your burner and other cds then I would find another dealer sounds like you got a lazy **** service guy.. All Scion dealers are authorized to work on you car not just where you bought it.. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member

ok i have used the software that i am using for a couple of years now and i have yet to have a problem, and even the cd's i buy from store like best buy still ____ up and get stuck, but i looks like i am just going to have to go to another scion dealer to get it done. but quick question does it have to be a scion dealer or can it be a toyota dealer.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The chances of a Toyota only dealer having a replacement H/U are pretty small... I'd go to any Scion dealer just for less hassle.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The Scion dealers are just as likely to not stock that part. They will order it if needed...
Old 12-20-2005, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

A Toyota only dealership won't be able to help you. With radios, it's a question of ordering a reman. replacement from Pioneer (this is how it works for any radio we've ever replaced on any model line here at our dealership).

Hit another Scion dealership and see what they say.

-Alex
Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Short of buying a new one, you can find replacement ones occasionally on ebay like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8023966175

But is your 6 disc in the unit or under some place else, I know I shoud know, but I never thoug about a 6 disc when I can rip songs as mp3 instead of wavs......... so that's like at least 4 disc in one.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Try a different brand of disc, maybe a different burning software. Are you closing the discs after burning? test the disc in other players for sure. If you can find another Scion with the same model 6-disc it would be a good way to troubleshoot whether it is the player or the disc...

Please ask the dealership why it shouldn't play burned discs since it is MP3 compatible? Don't let them squirm out. Call the Scion support line.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might also want to throw one of those lens cleaning cds into the player. It is possible the lens may have something on it.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

What a lame excuse they gave you....as he said ^^^ try the cleaning method and see what happens. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Had the same problem with mine. The toyota dealer did not want to help out but made such a seen that they called and replaced it the next day. The parts guy asked me alot of questionsabout how i used the radio... i said i turn it on and put cd in it is not rocket science.. anyway they took info down and put new one in
Old 12-21-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

I am having a similar problemwith my single disk, in the fact that, it skipson all my cd's and they are all store bought, no burnt ones. but the dealership cannot replace it unless they are able to experience it first hand, so i am stuck with it until they can hear it for themselves
Old 12-21-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I took the cd that always did not play with me and they put in my radio and must have been lucky because it didnt work...