Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Paid for testing my xB--from Toyota. Anyone else get this??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default Paid for testing my xB--from Toyota. Anyone else get this??

Anyone else get this letter ??

I got this in the mail today ....
Toyota envelope with my xB's VIN# ....
the 3 page letter says that my xB (VIN) "has been randomly selected from potential candidatesfor an exhaust emmision system check that will be conducted at the Toyota Emissions Labratory"

Letter continues .....
"this evaluation will be conducted indoors on a chassis dynamometer. After arriving at Toyota approximately 150 miles will be required to complete the analysis. Generally 2 weeks is required to complete testing."

"To participate in this program, please fill out the attahed questionaire and return it. After receiving your response and if your vehicle meets the test requirements, you will receive a call form Toyota/CAFLOR Industries to make further arrangements."

"Your assiatance inToyota's ongoing efforts to provide produsts with the highest quality ......."

I'm assuming my VIN was randomly chosen because I live in the same geographical area as the Toyota testing lab is. (I live in Ann Arbor ... GO BLUE !!)
The letter says its from .... "Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufactuering of North America Inc, in Ann Arbor Mich.

Anyway ....
the letter says they have your car >>indoors<< for this testing for 1-2 weeks.
In return the pay you $100.00, a full tank of gas at the end of testing, a replacement vehicle for the period of testing. (the letter says they give you a late model Toyota car to drive during this time)
They pay $100.oo for the fisrt 5 days ... then $10.00/day for any above that,

Anyone else get this ??
Old 10-17-2006, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't get it - I'm in Los Angeles. But I say do it. Bang up their rental for a few days, and let them tinker with your car. Hell, maybe they'll find a problem - and then fix it!
Old 10-17-2006, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

Be careful it could be a scam.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member

F*** that! Let some idiot hot rod my car for 150 miles and 2 weeks.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member

I called the dealer .... its not a scam.
The Toyota Emissions Lab just happens to be close to where I live, therefore my vehicles VIN# was on the list of potential test cars (then I was randomly selected from this group).

The letter goes into alot more detail and explains the whole process and Toyota's reasons for doing this.
All testing is done INDOORS on a treadmill type machine - so no goof-ball is out driving my xB on the roads.

The talk with the dealer eased my mind and I am going to do it.
Free bucks !!
Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is $100 really worth some lab rat that could care less about the condition of your paint and such conducting tests (some of which could be high rpm) on your beloved xB? There's no way i'd risk scratches or the potential for reduced engine life for $100.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd do it. but then again i still warrenty, besides that how often do these motors get screwed up anyway?

as for caring about your car i'd bet they give more of a hoot than alot of others would but that's just my guess
Old 10-18-2006, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$100 bucks and a tank of gas seems pretty week for someone else putting 150 miles on my box.

Sure it's Toyota... and you may get some pride out of helping them, but lets weigh the pro's and con's.

Pros: $100, fill up with gas

Cons: Scratches, dents, abuse, stains, possible wreck, tranny damage, engine damage, accessory damage, value (will this testing show up in vehicle report?), etc.

I'm sure there's tons more cons. Just consider carefully.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

if they f it up, they have to fix it before they send it back, its all part of the deal, dealerships are supposed to repair anything they screw up, we had a car at my work, it was an old turd, the motor blew while we were working on it(drove it into the shop, we baby these cars) and we had to rebuild the motor while the owner was sueing us because he dropped his car off for a fender to be painted, and we had to keep it for over 2 months, it died on our lot, there for it was our responsibility to repair it
Old 10-18-2006, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boogi_man
i'd do it. but then again i still warrenty, besides that how often do these motors get screwed up anyway?

as for caring about your car i'd bet they give more of a hoot than alot of others would but that's just my guess
Warranty yes, but typically engine stress shows up later. So what happens when the engine life is decreased by a good margin because of high rpm testing?

. . . Not saying they would do something like that, just saying antyhing could be part of the tests. You would think they'd be like "we'll give you $100 now and a $1500 rebate on your next Scion" . . . now that would be worth considering
Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true on the later part at the same time mines covered till 100k. i think that the rabate idea would be sweet

Originally Posted by iKevin
Originally Posted by boogi_man

Warranty yes, but typically engine stress shows up later. So what happens when the engine life is decreased by a good margin because of high rpm testing?

. . . Not saying they would do something like that, just saying antyhing could be part of the tests. You would think they'd be like "we'll give you $100 now and a $1500 rebate on your next Scion" . . . now that would be worth considering
Old 10-19-2006, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member

There are lots of xB's on dealer lots. I'm also sure Toyota has access to an xB at the factory too. Why not test one of those instead of a used one that a customer owns?

Also, since the Torched Penny is the last release of the current generation xB, why develop a new exhaust?

Things just don't seem to add up to me.....
Old 10-20-2006, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Its not they are testing to devolp something new. They are more than likely testing how well the current system has held up, especially in the more high mileage xB's. More than likely they are just checking to see if most of them are still CARB compliant.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member

You would think they would have some used xB's in their test lab. Maybe they want to test one that was used daily by an average consumer??
Old 10-20-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you had the regular service done to it at a dealer - if so then they may want one with a known service history that was broken in by a customer to see how it is functioning. I doubt that they will damage it and from what I hear they are pretty bullet proof anyway from guys that floor it and dump the clutch nothing breaks. Guess it depends upon how you feel about someone else running your xB . . . me . . . I don't think so but then that's me.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work at TTC in Ann Arbor - where, more than likely, they (we) will be testing your xB. They will be very careful of your vehicle, seriously no need to harbor worries about its condition.
I could ask around for you, but I'm pretty sure it would cost more to rent one from Dunnings, than to use yours for the $100/gas. I believe rentals for testing cost WAAAYYY more - at least they do for the competitors they rent for evaluations.
The dyno lab there is waaay cool. Very quiet. Very out of the way. Although, not to scare you, but, there are alot of young, know-it-all engineers walking around who love to "get into" any vehicle on the premises. But, yours won't have the proper sticker on it for that - so, again, no need to worry
Old 10-21-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Post Script: I wonder why they didn't ask me? Hmmmm, better go check my mail. . . .
Perhaps they don't realize I own an xB?! (I keep a low profile around there).