First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

A Pillar Guages

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok steve i'm curious ..... what in blue blazes are all those gauges for. is it me or are there 2 air/fuel gauges?

(this is not a slam post or anything .... i think the piller is dope but i would have flushed the gauges with the dash .... but i am really curious since i've never seen the car in person and can't read the dials off the pic)
Old 06-26-2004, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Anyone have a link to the autometer pod. I googled it and havent come up with anything. I am interested in running a 3 (maybe 4) pod with gauges for audio. Anyone know of a company that makes affordable car audio gauges?
Old 06-26-2004, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But I think it's a waste of money to put serious go-fast goodies into that tiny 1.5 motor.
Dude the car isnt a freakin racer, all those guages look dumb. there is no way you need all of those.
Is the only kind of boxing you guys like to watch the supper heavyweights? Some of the most exciting fights of the last couple years has been Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, two featherweights and the trilogy of battles between light welterweights, Micky Ward and Arturo Gatti. Even an average heavyweight could demolish any of these awesome warriors. Does that mean that they should pack it in? Stay out of the gym? Hell no. Oftentimes its great when the lightweights duke it out.

Gauges are for those that use them.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Minsk99
But I think it's a waste of money to put serious go-fast goodies into that tiny 1.5 motor.
Dude the car isnt a freakin racer, all those guages look dumb. there is no way you need all of those.
Is the only kind of boxing you guys like to watch the supper heavyweights? Some of the most exciting fights of the last couple years has been Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, two featherweights and the trilogy of battles between light welterweights, Micky Ward and Arturo Gatti. Even an average heavyweight could demolish any of these awesome warriors. Does that mean that they should pack it in? Stay out of the gym? Hell no. Oftentimes its great when the lightweights duke it out.

Gauges are for those that use them.

Im putting out 283whp with my vortech civic, and i wouldn't even want 8 gauges thats just totally tacky, i understand you want to monitor your car but damn. Seriously if you are worried about your box, then buy the extended warranty, its not like you are rockin some crazy setup under the hood, and still if you had a blower or a turbo under that hood laced with nitrous, you still are overkilling it. The pod will do the justice but then you got gauges hangin everywhere like dingle ***** on a mexicans bull truck :D And the comment that tuners roll up and get nervous, so its ok because it makes it look fast, now whomever made that comment is an idiot, people like you give people like me a bad name. For what he is doing, even road racing at willow, he needs the water temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and maybe a fuel pressure. And thats overkill for running stock under the hood. The autometer air fuel gauge is nothing but a fireworks light show, everyone would know that you would want an egt temp gauge instead to be more accurate. Oh wait, he might actually have both in that mess of gauges Just my opinion, totally overkill, sponsored or not. I used to be flowed by vortech, venom, rotora and even though i got alot of $$ in product for my civic, i hated all the ghetto ___ big vinyl schemes i had, yes free product has a price and work to do for it, but being sponsored isn't always the "cool" or "clean" thing to do for your car.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I think it looks quite nice. The gauges are neatly place on the dash and a pillar. You have to remember, his is sponsered so he will have to use the product. In my own opinion, I wouldn't want that many gauges. But anyway, here's a picture of what it could look like without proper placement.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Off topic, but I saw a pic of the Filipino boxer Manny P.

Damn, he is the shiz. Shoulda won his last fight. Draw, my butt...
Old 06-27-2004, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbbox
I think it looks quite nice. The gauges are neatly place on the dash and a pillar. You have to remember, his is sponsered so he will have to use the product. In my own opinion, I would want that many gauges. But anyway, here's a picture of what it could look like without proper placement.
That thing reminds me of Jackie Chans car in cannonball run.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by socalxb
Let a 40-something former SRT-4 owner chime in here.

All those gauges in his car are fine, since it is a SHOW car, and he's sponsored by the gauge maker. However, running an xB on the track is just wrong. I don't get that at all...

And the original post that started all this, putting an xB on the bottle? LOL...that's funny. So now an xB with juice will be able to run with what, a stock Civic Si, Focus SVT, Sentra SE-R, Mini Cooper, or what?

If you want to make the car seriously fast, I'm a firm believer in "there's no replacement for displacement". I'd like to see some of these aftermarket tuners drop a V6 into the xB, or maybe a bigger 4 (2.0 twin cam) that's has a turbo or s/c. But I think it's a waste of money to put serious go-fast goodies into that tiny 1.5 motor.

No "ricer" or "ghetto" mods for me...
Why is that just wrong? What do you think a car with at least 160hp that weighs 400lbs less than a Si will run? Than add a 25-50 shot! No different than a neon with a turbo. It's still a neon. People didn't think Grand Prix GTP's could be fast either. A lot still don't. Especially for a 3800lb car with driver. Boy did we prove them wrong. Just because it has a 1.5L engine doesn't mean it should never be on the track. They actually handle very well. I would like to see how one would do with a better suspension setup. Especially since it is so light. Oh and ever here of the turbo'd vitz?
Old 06-27-2004, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What'll happen is folks will start putting all these mods on that small motor, blowing it up, ____ing and moaning about it, blaming Toyota, and trying to get repairs done under warranty. The SRT-4 guys were putting on all kinds of alphabet soup stuff on their cars (AGP, MBC, WGA, BOV, FMIC, yadda yadda yadda), then would wonder why the OBD starting throwing codes and the car wasn't running right.

As I said, if someone wants to make the xB a contender against something like a Mazdaspeed Protege or even an SRT-4, forget about tinkering with that stock motor. Give it some time, and I'm sure one of these tuners will come up with some kind of engine swap that will give it the hp, torque (a foreign concept to a LOT of Japanese engines), and long-term survivability that juicing/turbocharging/supercharging that little old 1.5 can't provide.

And about the boxing comparison, I hate boxing, never watch it, don't appreciate it at all. If there's nothing else on, the TV goes off. Guess that analogy is lost with someone like me...
Old 06-28-2004, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

socalxb

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let a 40-something former SRT-4 owner chime in here.

All those gauges in his car are fine, since it is a SHOW car, and he's sponsored by the gauge maker. However, running an xB on the track is just wrong. I don't get that at all...

And the original post that started all this, putting an xB on the bottle? LOL...that's funny. So now an xB with juice will be able to run with what, a stock Civic Si, Focus SVT, Sentra SE-R, Mini Cooper, or what?

If you want to make the car seriously fast, I'm a firm believer in "there's no replacement for displacement". I'd like to see some of these aftermarket tuners drop a V6 into the xB, or maybe a bigger 4 (2.0 twin cam) that's has a turbo or s/c. But I think it's a waste of money to put serious go-fast goodies into that tiny 1.5 motor.

No "ricer" or "ghetto" mods for me...

2005 white, 18's, Hotchkiss stb, free-flow muffler w/3.5" tip, (TRD springs next)
However, running an xB on the track is just wrong. I don't get that at all...
Then why even bother with mild suspension & performance upgrades?

ahurdl01 Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like xbboy said, steve races it on the track. he also drives a civic type r that is in full race trim. the xb is just a reflection of his personality and profession. Before you "know-it-alls" decide to chime in on ones car and mods. Maybe you should find out a little about the person before you start pecking at your keyboard and hitting submit. Since you guys dont know him, im sure you havent seen him pass up "higher" displacement vehicles on the track *cough* Cobra *cough*.

4 pods isnt out of the ordinary. Im not 100% sure on what steve has, but if you think about it, water temp, voltage, air/fuel, and oil temp. is 4 right there. that doesnt even include, boost and exhaust temp.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to take away from the deabate guys, but does anyone have a price for the 3 gauge pod? I found it on the autometer site but no price was listed, Thanks. "ding ding" :twisted:
Old 06-28-2004, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

hahaha...yeah you might want to PM Steve(bBist),Larry (KDawg) and Denny(Denzin) They are all cool guys and I'm sure one of them can get you an answer//

Ok debate on...
Old 06-28-2004, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"...A neon is still a neon.." (in reference to the SRT-4)

Lol, yup, that's true, especially when it comes to insurance quotes. But, the SRT-4 has a different motor, transmission, wheels, suspension, brakes, seats, dash, etc.

That was always a classic line when the SRT-4 just blew by some hopped up Civic, Integra, Mustang, whatever. Yup, it's just a Neon, until it beats you. Then it's an SRT-4...

Now back to the thread...do those gauge pillars match the interior color of the A-pillar? I thought I remember seeing another xB that had extra gauges mounted in the dash somewhere? I could see putting gauges for water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure, but not A/F. Maybe even some kind of voltmeter would be good too...
Old 06-28-2004, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

No doubt that it's a fast car, with a lot of goodies, like the autometer boost gauge, factory intercooler, nice exhaust tone, sport seats, etc.etc. Who can get an underrated 215 hp and 245 tq. 2.4 turbo charged 4 banger for around 20k? its just the exterior styling that kills it for me. It's a pretty bad ___ car, but still the neon styling kills it for me.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DenZinz
No doubt that it's a fast car, with a lot of goodies, like the autometer boost gauge, factory intercooler, nice exhaust tone, sport seats, etc.etc. Who can get an underrated 215 hp and 245 tq. 2.4 turbo charged 4 banger for around 20k? its just the exterior styling that kills it for me. It's a pretty bad ___ car, but still the neon styling kills it for me.
My youngest daughter has an eye for cars, and she'll tell me she saw a car that looked just like my SRT-4, but it was a different color, or it didn't have the rear wing, or the hood scoop, etc. I try to tell her if it didn't have that stuff, then it really wasn't an SRT-4, but a "regular" Neon. Don't have that problem with the xB. A box is a box is a box, just a different color. That shape stands out all by itself, and no one will mistake it for anything else!
Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn... I don't check the forums for a few days and this is what happens???

I don't mind people "bashing" on mods. It's a free world!!! But I do respect the individuals who word their "bashing" constructively. Autometer has a great product to offer and my bB is a show car. I take it on the track every once in a while but it's just for fun. I have a purpose built race car to go to the track with.

As far as people questioning the xB's ability on the road race track, you might want to reconsider your opinions. I didn't think that the xB would be competitive with the likes of RSX, Audi A4 quat. turbo, Civic, Miata, and even Corvette but it can very well be a underated "Box" on wheels.

The guys that made it out to the track to hang out with me can vouch for our cars.

-Steve
Old 06-30-2004, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Steve - I'd love to see an xB on the track, that probably has to be seen to be believed! But if you've got a good driver who knows the track, he could turn and burn pretty good against "better" cars with mediocre drivers. That's gotta be a sight, a "box on wheels" running with the best of them. Good for you!