Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Please be truthful w/ my question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Please be truthful w/ my question....

I am almost 16 now and my parents are looking around at cars and all that kinda junk and i have a question for you all. I have been looking quite closely at the xb and almost got it about a month ago. But now i am looking at the Prius because of the mileage and so forth. Should i pursue my interest in the Prius or do you really think i should get an xb? Please be truthful and answer not just because your on an xb forum. THX
Old 05-23-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if you are going for gas and milage then go with Prius
xB has a decent gas/milage and cant beat it for the price.

just my .02
Old 05-23-2005, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your 16.. Get a XB !!

Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would do whatever makes you happy... In my opinion the prius is the most efficient peoplemover out there. We have one and it has very good back seat space.. not as big as an xb's but more than a 99 dodge durango...

Those prius's get sick gas mileage.. ours gets about 70 and you can drive in carpool lanes by urself. I would say if you just want a car to get around go for the prius. If you want a sense of style or something to make a project go for the xb. I have both cars so i chose the style.. hope it helps
Old 05-23-2005, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

value wise? Go with an Xb.
More interior room
Good gas mileage both city and hwy.
Priced much more affordable.
No worry to replace batteries at expiration. (several years later)
Good performance for what it is.

If your 15 now and just looking, mayhaps wait for the Corola , or whichever new line Toyota is putting on the market next for hybrids.

The hybrids are really much more effective in the city. With stop and go traffic, the electric assist will save a lot of gas.

Just an opinion.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Do you fit comfortably in a Prius? Are you bringing friends along on a regular basis?

If you answered no on the first or yes on the second, get the Scion. The Prius is just too damn small for its own good on the inside IMO.

Also, if you want to mod your car ever it's just not going to happen with the Prius.

Otherwise, it's a good vehicle.

So, you're 16 right? Ask someone who isn't me about the Scion's "communal space". That's all I'm sayin'.

-Alex
Old 05-23-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my opinion, the Prius is way too expensive to really make up for its fuel economy... In comparison to the xB with its boasted 30-35mpg, it would take the Prius several years to really out-do the xB in gas conservation since it's that much more... I dont know the exact numbers but the MSRP on the xB is 14,245 with the fees and such... and after taxes it comes out to around 15k... the Prius has a MSRP of 20.9k without taxes or mark up or anything... You have about 6-8k to make up for in fuel economy. I guess if you were really interested you could figure out the average amount of miles you would drive in a year and figure out how long it would take for the Prius to really out-do the xB in fuel economy.
Aside from that... I think if you're young it would be a lot more fun to have an xB. I got mine when I was 18 and theres just the little things that you can modify it with that let you enjoy the car that much more. I'm not familiar with the hybrid engine so I dont think I would ever try modifying it or put on rims or throw in a sound system. I have no complaints about my car even though some complain about its lack of power. I just find it hilarious that I can put up a good fight with much faster cars and still laugh at them when I lose because my gas mileage is still twice as efficient as theirs.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Please be truthful w/ my question....

Originally Posted by aedwards
I am almost 16 now and my parents are looking around at cars and all that kinda junk and i have a question for you all. I have been looking quite closely at the xb and almost got it about a month ago. But now i am looking at the Prius because of the mileage and so forth. Should i pursue my interest in the Prius or do you really think i should get an xb? Please be truthful and answer not just because your on an xb forum. THX
You're 16 and worrying about getting better gas mileage above 30-35 mpg?

Practicality is for the aged and the xB serves both sides very well. It stands out and gets great gas mileage.

Forgive me, but when I was 16 I could care less about gas and bought me a 1970 Mustang pushing 300 hp.

If you want great gas mileage and not join the birkenstock crowd, get a motorcycle.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

also the prius currently is selling for more than sticker price, by the time your done the prius could cost you at least $6000 more than an xB... also the mileage on the prius is VERY dependant on your driving style, if you like to hit the gas you will NOT get anywhere near its rated milage, maybe closer to 30~40mpg... if you can accelerate slowly and learn how to drive the car correctly you could get closer near 60+ mpg

also dont worry about the batteries on the prius, the way it works it never runs the batteries though a whole cycle, so its very possible for the 28 NiMH packs to last 10+ years... but the minus to the prius also is pretty much any work that needs to be done has to be done by the dealer
Old 05-23-2005, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Prius is too expensive to be worth it on gas mileage unless you plan on keeping it for 100K+ miles, and pretty much unmodifiable.

xB can be kind of loud on the highway, but gets wholly decent gas mileage and has better interior space.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Around here a Prius out the door is pushing $30k. Major markup. You could get nearly two XB's for that...
Old 05-23-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

if you plan on doing any modifications i would grab the scion. i've heard that hybrids right now don't save you money for at least 7 years of owning it because of the higher initial price and the higher cost of maintainance. most service on a prius has to be done at a dealer.

i grabbed the scion over the corolla and prius, and im glad i did!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha you used a Scifly post for your sig! That's funny...
Old 05-23-2005, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the xb u will be happy u did...all the stuff u can mod it with plus its a fun car to drive!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're 16 and concerned with fuel economy, buy a used Honda Civic VX. 48 city/ 55 hwy. Use the spare change for burgers.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your 16 and thinking about getting a Prius, then its reasonable to assume your parents are paying for it. Since your parents are paying for it, Id say get the Prius But truthfully, the prius doesnt seem like a typical 16 yr olds car. Its styling looks more fitting for the elderly. So from that prospective, Id say get the xB.

*sigh* when I was 16 I got a used Ford Tempo junker with peeling paint and dents
Old 05-23-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd go for the prius. That car is way more loaded than the xb.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

bro go with the xb it looks better and im sure that hybrid costs a lot more gas mileage is good eith the xb regardless. and plus if mom or dad needs u to pick up something thats kinda big on the way home. just fold the seats down and pick it up. thats my opinion get tha xb im sure u will enjoy it i know im enjoying mine.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

also remember, that 70mpg would be very very good for a prius. the sticker has it as 60 city and 51 highway. and even those are inflated, most people are reporting closer to 45 or so. sorry i didn't read the rest, to tired right now :p if you're a greenthumb, then the prius makes sense. otherwise.....it's gonna take you about 10 years or so, before you make up the difference in price with the gas savings. good luck, though.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member

get the xb over the prius, if i was 16 i'd go for the xb the prius's looks are more for the older crowd. I'm 42 and love my xb, the xb price is more reasonable.