Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Please be truthful w/ my question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off you're missing the entire point here people. This is a 16yo that almost bought an xB, that shows hesitation. You're also talking about a 16yo that is looking at the Prius, which says something about character or even concern for the environment.

I say that if you are thinking about the Prius, and you are honest with yourself about that, then go for it. Obviously some dealers are charging over MSRP price on them, but there are some dealerships that are reputable and honest out there. Arguing the price of gas v.s price of car is a useless comparison. The fit and finish of the Prius is nicer than the xB, also the navigation and other features are not available on the xB. Don't get me wrong the xB is a great car and I love mine. But they aren't for everyone.

I would have to know more about you and your reasoning behind the vehicles you have chosen before I could give a better answer on which car, but atleast I'm willing to concede there are nicer cars on the market than the xB.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member

Uh, I think people are a little off on the money saving aspect. Sure the Prius costs $6000 more. But when you sell the car it is also worth more.

It's like saying you are saving money by buying a cheaper house, right. If the two cars depreciate at the same rate, you aren't really losing any money and you are still saving money on gas. With gas at $2.30 a gallon, doubling your mileage is a big deal. Not to mention, people also buy the Prius becuase it is BETTER TO SAVE GAS!!! IT's not purely a monetary decision.

I love my Xb, no doubt. But if I could have afforded a Prius I probably would have bought one. IT's up to you, though. I think they are both great vehicles. Of course, Toyota could make a hybrid Xb. Yeah, right....
Old 05-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned

Default Re: Please be truthful w/ my question....

Originally Posted by aedwards
I am almost 16 now and my parents are looking around at cars and all that kinda junk and i have a question for you all. I have been looking quite closely at the xb and almost got it about a month ago. But now i am looking at the Prius because of the mileage and so forth. Should i pursue my interest in the Prius or do you really think i should get an xb? Please be truthful and answer not just because your on an xb forum. THX
hey man,

Myself bieng 16 i too know what ur feeling. In my opinion the XB is the better buy, as i too looked at the prius. I did test drive the prius allong with the scion. At the time power was a huge part of my decision. I wanted to race my friends in their WRX'S. so the XB would do that better. But since i pay for my own Insurance and Gas the Prius looked good for fuel ecconomy. But The thing that made me choose the XB over the prius and the Matrix at the time was the amount of customization available for the xb. I really enjoy wasting my money on my box and trying to get it to Gain a few Hps.. ** Stickers**..... but seriously it depends what you want to do with your car. Below is a good enthusist site about the Prius if ur interestered

www.priuschat.com

check it out

good luck,

Dave
Old 05-23-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mileage for the Prius has been inflated by the EPA. Most owners are lucky if they can muster 35 MPG.
Not to be biased as an XB owner, but I am getting 31 around town and 35 on the highway, and I clearly think the XB is a much roomier and better looking vehicle.

Then again, It's your choice.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Prius or xB..............................xB!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i say get your parents to pay for the prius, then trade it in for an xB and save the rest of the money for gas for the next couple years or invest it in something you SUPER want. hahahaha. you can always trade the Prius for an xB. you cant trade a xB for a Prius so if u change ur mind, you'll still be straight.

honestly, my basic rule with most things is that if theres even a nanopuff of hesitation, then DONT GET IT (guess that means no xB huh ).

just go every single day to the dealership and test drive every day for a week or two...then make your decision.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im also 16 and looking at both the prius and the xB. so far im leaning xB.

im interested in typical teenager stuff like a good sounds system, and pointless yes awesome crap like alluminating cupholders.

there is that little part of me inside that wants to catch ppls attention....but other than that, the only thing better in the prius is the gas milage...and the xB gets around 30...not too shabby.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

again, the prius will only get awesome milage if you drive like an old lady... its VERY dependant on how you drive... so if your expecting to drive like a 16 year old kid, your probably better off with the xB
Old 05-26-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for all your comments... i do agree that the xb has more style and more options. THe Prius has more mileage. I think by reading up on all of your comments that i have begun to lean back towards the xb because of mods and room and stuff. I appreciate all the feedback i got so thumbs up on the site and the people on it. There is no better forum page than here in my opinion.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

@ 16 you need something to play with ... like an xB. You can't do much with a Prius, I know my wife has one. The xB is less expensive ... more money for mod's!!