PO301 Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Default PO301 Help

Ok where to begin I have a 05 xB M5 with 54K I finally got my first check engine this morning (PO301) If I am correct cylinder #1 misfire so I changed the plugs and it still shakes and only takes about 3 blocks to get the light again,So I swaped the coil pac from #1 to #2 still the same code. comes back after reset.
What else could it be?I am thinking it has something to do with the 2"+ of rain we got yesterday then turned to sleet last night.
I drove for over 100 miles yesterday in all the heavy rain and all was normal till this morning when I went out for coffee.

Thanks for looking,Scott
Old 03-18-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

The plugs were changed first the coil was switched twice now with #2 and #4 still same problem and code.I dont have a compression tester so that is out.
This morning I checked all connections for corosion and shot them with Silicon spray still doing the same thing.
This leads me to believe that I have a bad injector or dirty when I unplug #1 injector I get no difference in the way it runs but when I unplug any of the other 3 it really bogs down and shakes BAD.
Now to figure out how to remove the injector and swap it with another.

Scott
Old 03-18-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: PO301 Help

Originally Posted by kzhorse
... 05 xB M5 with 54K ... PO301... If I am correct cylinder #1 misfire ... changed the plugs ... swaped the coil pac from #1 to #2 still the same code... am thinking it has something to do with the 2"+ of rain we got... drove for over 100 miles yesterday in all the heavy rain and all was normal till this morning when I went out for coffee....
That is the DTC for #1 misfire. Are you sure which cylinder is #1 - does it mean 1st in firing order or 1st from one end of the engine (and which end)?
This must be the CF hood you list in your mods:
http://www.aitracing.com/catalog/ind...oducts_id=1622
Is that an open top grille that lets water onto the engine? Could something upstream electrically from the coil pack have gotten wet?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Yes that is the hood been on for well over a year no problems before. from what I have found #1 is far left looking from front and also #1 in the firing order.
The coil is not the problem as it has a good visible spark compared with the other ones.I have moved all the coil pacs around with no change.
Does anybody know if the injectors are covered under warrenty?Going out later to listen with a stethascope??to see if the injector is working.

Scott
Old 03-20-2007, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I took it to the dealer this morning they refused to check anyfurther than the spark pluge becouse I would not recomended plugs.So I'm out almost $100 for nothing.
This is all after I told them it was a fuel issue not spark.
So I called around to get a injector no luck $90+ and about a week to get,So I went to the junk yard and picked up 3 injectors and a new engine cover for $13.50 and all is good now.(2003 Echo)

Adds another Dealer to my list not to recommend.

Scott
Old 03-20-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kzhorse
I took it to the dealer this morning they refused to check anyfurther than the spark pluge becouse I would not recomended plugs... after I told them it was a fuel issue not spark. ...
This is garbled.

Are you saying that you are using non-recommended spark plugs and the dealer will not investigate the DTC P0301 until you let them put in the proper plugs?
So the dealer thinks the plugs could be at fault, but you have assured them that the plugs are not the problem, so it must the fuel injection?
Why not just let them put in the recommended plugs so they can get on with their diagnosis?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Forgive my grammer,So why should I pay them anymore than I did becouse they would not do there job all they had to do was check for spark and they would have known it was good. I told them it was a fuel issue but all they wanted was more money.I have been running Champion for the past 20K with no issues.I'm a firm believer that Copper is a better conductor so what If I have to change them every couple oil changes.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

That's strange that an injector would go bad that soon. I hope it was a fluke.