Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Possible Product Liability

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Possible Product Liability

About 33 days into my xB ownership some inattentive clown plowed into me from the read at about 3 to 4 mph. The damage was only $640. But, the impact jerked my head back into the bottom edge of the headrest. The headrest was fully extended and waay to high for my 5'10" noggin. I usually leave headrests down, anyway.

Well, after the accident (I'm still seeing a chiropractor) I set the headrest all the way down and kept on trucking. The other day, at the Toyota dealership, I got out and noticed my headrest was almost all the way up just like the passenger headrest! I reached over and put it down the put one finger under it and EASILY lifted it, click by click, to the top position! The spring putting upward tension on the headrest is way too strong for the latch.

While getting the car serviced I walked in the showroom to an xB and xA and could NOT budge either headrest with one or two fingers! I told the service writer and he seemed concerned. He had a sevice tech come out and he looked at it and shrugged.

Thinking about a lawyer. BTW, mine is an early 2005.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Was it always like that, or was it more prominent after the accident? Sounds like it is defective. Toyota could be held liable, and would likely settle in such a case. I suggest asking a lawyer or your insurance company.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want to take someone to court, why dont you take the idiot who hit you!!

Ding, ding, ding!

BTW "3-4" MPH is not enough to go to the doctor over geez!!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure that you can find an ambulance chaser to take your case. Why bother to consult with us?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pardone, but 3-4 mph is enough to get injured as I did. Especially when your head hits a metal edge. It was like being tapped on the head with an aluminum bat.

I think eveybody ought to eyeball his headrests to see if they are like mine. The showroom cars are six months older than mine and they have plenty of resistance to riding up.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused

Ding, ding, ding!

For any accident where you're hit, you must get a police report and you must go to a doctor immediately. If you don't, any injuries that happen as a result 2, 3, 6 months down the line will not be taken care of. It's called covering your own ___. Don't be naive.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Could the looseness have been caused from the earlier accident?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by UnFocused

Ding, ding, ding!

Umm, hello? He was commenting about how is headrest does not maintain its position and raises too easily, thus not doing its job.

Try running into a brick wall at 4mph, and see how you feel! When the car impacts something else at that speed, everything else inside the car continues at the same speed while the car stops. Now your head, moving at 4mph, reaches full extension, bounces back, and misses the headrest. Now you've got whiplash, buddy.

4mph, is a a good jogging speed. A normal accident at that speed is not a big deal, but if the headrests failed, then it is.

DING DING DING!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Could the looseness have been caused from the earlier accident?
I was trying to ask that too. . . it's a possibility.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member

Didn't realize Jenn was logged in. Will repost under my own name.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My headrest in my xb does the same.. you can barely touch it and it will raise up a notch or two
Old 12-27-2004, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George
I'm sure that you can find an ambulance chaser to take your case. Why bother to consult with us?
i could just see it in court..."Your honor i have over 100 posts from people on scion life agreeing with me!! lol
Old 12-27-2004, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciondrgn
My headrest in my xb does the same.. you can barely touch it and it will raise up a notch or two
i thought that was normal. i have an 04
Old 12-27-2004, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Actually, you probably don't have a case. This is something you didn't notice when you got into the car.

A good lawyer will liken it to not putting your seatbelt on and blame it on you.

You won't be able to prove it was down, and just going "up easy" won't be enough.

While mine does go up easy (I can push it up with my head while driving), I noticed it long ago and monitor it.

Also, you mentioned that the passenger side headrest was up, sounded like you leave it that way as well, these things will work against you. And if they can find one person who "kinda remembers it was up when I saw him", your case would be gone.

Lastly, they'll place liability on the guy who hit you as he is the one who was truely at fault.

Worst case...You cause them to add some part to the xB, make them a few dollars more expensive and you still get nothing. A case like this would cost a ton of money to get into court, more to get through court and, in the end, you won't see anything.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get rid of the xB..take the bus
zinc
Old 12-27-2004, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My '05 is the same way. Real easy going up. It's an odd design. The lock should hold it in place going up or down. Seems to me, in a rear end crash, maybe your head could hit it and raise it at the same time, cause it does'nt lock going up. This could be bad in a rear-ender at any speed !!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Possible Product Liability

Originally Posted by woof
About 33 days into my xB ownership some inattentive clown plowed into me from the read at about 3 to 4 mph. The damage was only $640. But, the impact jerked my head back into the bottom edge of the headrest. The headrest was fully extended and waay to high for my 5'10" noggin. I usually leave headrests down, anyway.

Well, after the accident (I'm still seeing a chiropractor) I set the headrest all the way down and kept on trucking. The other day, at the Toyota dealership, I got out and noticed my headrest was almost all the way up just like the passenger headrest! I reached over and put it down the put one finger under it and EASILY lifted it, click by click, to the top position! The spring putting upward tension on the headrest is way too strong for the latch.

While getting the car serviced I walked in the showroom to an xB and xA and could NOT budge either headrest with one or two fingers! I told the service writer and he seemed concerned. He had a sevice tech come out and he looked at it and shrugged.

Thinking about a lawyer. BTW, mine is an early 2005.
Lawyer? you should probably try to find a strong positive male role model to help you to quit being such a _____! 3-4 MPH? Yeah, go ahead and sue Toyota, it's the American way right? It's people like you that keep jackass lawyers in business and everyone else paying way too much for things to cover the product liability cases that are way too common. I am not a big fan of this couse of action if you can't tell. :twisted: :twisted:
Old 12-28-2004, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Can we keep things civil, folks? It's still the holiday season...
Old 12-28-2004, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you definitely ought to consult a lawyer, mainly because all the opinions you are getting from the nice folks, (and not-so-nice folks), in here don't amount to a hill-o-beans. (that includes my own comments)

If the head rest migrates out of position all by itself that is a serious problem. You were lucky the speed of impact was so low. What could happen to another person getting hit at much higher speed? At the very least...if this head rest thing is common...Toyota needs to know, and then decide if a recall is warranted.

(I'll be checking my own head rests tomorrow).
Old 12-28-2004, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

..and if your lawyer doesnt win the case, sue your lawyer too!!

Quick Reply: Possible Product Liability