Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Possible Product Liability

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

'lil update: my headrest also moves upward very easily, with the tip of a finger. It does not, however, ride up just from vehicle vibration or motion.

I wonder if a person's head would nudge it up there, if that person was in the habit of leaning the head back into the rest while driving?

Actually, I just realized that in an impact the force of the head hitting it would probably shove it up - which I think would be detrimental to its purpose. It's looking more and more like a product defect case to me...

(I'll test this theory by giving it a few whacks tomorrow)
Old 12-29-2004, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I'm 5'9" and I tried to find a way, with the headrest up, to line my head up with the metal bar.

The only way I could do it was to, just about, sit on the floor.

This was something I couldn't do with the seatbelt on. The only way it could happen would be for my back to hyper-extend, backwards. Again, this couldn't happen without the seatbelt being off.

So, IMO, it sounds like you didn't have your seatbelt on.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clarifications:

After the accident I put both headrests in the full down position. They had both creeped up on their own.

I always wear my seat belt.

I did not hit the metal rods--I hit the bottom edge of the cushion which is like hitting a straight edge--no padding--it was that high.

I went straight to a doctors office and got immediate treatment (ice). I have a form of whiplash and a small goose egg on the back left of my skull where I impacted. Not my imagination. A four mph tap with an aluminum bat is pretty hard.

Several of you have noticed that you headrests do the same thing. Mine creeped, yet a vehicle 6 months fresher did not.

This is a problem that needs to be looked at.

Of course, there's no way to prove anything and I still love my xB. Just check yours out for the same thing.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

to all of you negative folks---skipp yall.. i fell on my back playing volley ball on some ill figured sand at what? .25 mph after jumping to block a ball.. and guess what i had 6 vertabrae out of place..i doesnt matter how fast or how high you fall or whatever...it depends alot on how you got hit...as for the suing goes---get a lawer that doesn't collect if you dont win--if they are still around..
Old 12-29-2004, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One to look at.. as far as it moving up on its on.. Now mine moves up really easy and when i get in and sit down alot of time i will adjust to get in a comfy position for driving and if i lean back my shoulders will also move the headrest up without me knowing it.. im 6ft2 by the way and my shoulders have more use of the headrest then my head does lol..
Old 12-29-2004, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Fujiz_xb
to all of you negative folks---skipp yall.. i fell on my back playing volley ball on some ill figured sand at what? .25 mph after jumping to block a ball.. and guess what i had 6 vertabrae out of place..i doesnt matter how fast or how high you fall or whatever...it depends alot on how you got hit...as for the suing goes---get a lawer that doesn't collect if you dont win--if they are still around..
Did you sue the maker of the sand?
Old 12-30-2004, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

^^^ LOL..no but is sure did use my insurance to the fullest to get my treatment..im better now..but i have to go once a moth to better myself\check up.