Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Pure Pricing? Question for the dealers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow.. I am really freakin glad I saw this post. I live in Daytona Beach, FL.. and I already ordered a black xB from Daytona Toyota/Scion. The Documentation Fee here is $599!! But I looked at Roundtree's site, and it appears they don't have a documentation fee?

A couple of questions.. If I already ordered the xB from DB Scion (it's due to be here any day now), and signed the order form, is it too late for me to back out and get my xB through Roundtree? a 2 1/2 hour drive to pick up the ride is DEFINITELY worth $600! Also, how much of a hassle will it be to get my deposit ($500) from Daytona Scion?

OR.. would it be possible to negotiate on Daytona's Documentation fee, even though I already placed the order.. tell them I will go somewhere else unless they lower that fee a LOT?

This is my first time buying a car.. my last car was given to me by my grandfather when he passed away.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

For what it is worth..I 'ordered' mine through Rountree, and did not even have to leave a deposit. Deposits are refundable. I tried talking my local dealers out of the fee, and they wouldn't budge. So, I made the drive. I was buying a xB, and obviously the local guy didn't want to make the deal..

I say go get your deposit back (they will sell the one you are waiting on, no problem), and call: Kris Summerlin @ Rountree. She'll be honest with you, and let you know what kind of time frame is involved. It took her exactly 2 weeks from the day I told her what I wanted to the day I was driving it home. Tell her Matt B sent you (no I dont get kick back..I just told her I would send people her way, and I want to show that I am doing that). Good luck

Matt B
Old 04-05-2004, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went back to Daytona Beach Scion to ask what was up with the fee... the guy I dealt with before wasn't there today, so I asked for another scion rep. Some guy walked up, and I asked him (very politely) about taking the $600 fee off. He told me to sit down while he asked another dealer there. He send some other guy over, and this guy was definitely their "bad cop" dealer. He said very rudely and loudly that he cannot take the fee off. When I told him, "OK, then I need my deposit back" he started going crazy. He told me he can't give me the refund, I have to come back tomorrow and get the refund from the guy I originally dealt with. Then he starts telling other people (very loudly), "I can't believe this guy is reopening negotiations!!" He treated me like some scumbag, like I was doing something totally against business ethics. But isn't hiding some FU#$KING $600 fee in a supposedly non-negotiable car bad business ethics??! To hell with Daytona Beach Scion... when I go back there tomorrow I am not leaving until I get my deposit back, and I am definitely getting this guys name, so I can complain to his bosses bosses boss.
Word of mouth is the best form of advertising, and I guarantee that DB Scion will be getting MUCH bad publicity for this crap.

whatever... thanks a ton for the info.. i'm definitely hitting up Rountree Scion.

hey Matt.. what you do in Jax? I go up there a weekend a month for my Reserve duty..
Old 04-06-2004, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey Matt.. what you do in Jax? I go up there a weekend a month for my Reserve duty..
http://www.rcst.com

MattB
Old 04-06-2004, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the new xB...im about to buy mine soon but after reading this I might change my dealership choice...So Kieth Pierson was trying to charge you $700?? Also if you want more details on how to meet up with more Scions pm we are having a meet this Friday.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Pure Pricing? Question for the dealers...

Originally Posted by irascion
You're right, dealers shouldn't be "hiding" this or any other fees. To be in compliance with Pure Pricing, the doc fee should be posted on the website and in the showroom. There shouldn't be any hiding this fee at all.
"Shouldn't" doesn't go very far in the real world. When I was looking for my xB, I asked two dealers' salesmen point-blank if they had a documentation fee. They hemmed and hawed and tried to change the subject. The Germans weren't as tenacious with the Enigma code as these salesmen were with keeping their documentation fees hidden! The only posting of charges I saw in any Scion showroom was the window stickers which obviously didn't mention any fees.

We do not spring this "surprise fee" on the customer at the last minute. Being up front with the customer is the whole point of pure pricing. Pure Pricing is not the same as every dealer charges the same as everyone else. Pure Pricing is simply every customer is able to purchase the car/accessories etc... at the posted menu prices in your showroom and on your website.
It seems that the nature of "pure pricing" is quite flexible. Scion would surely like everyone to think that the same price is charged to all customers!

In MA, I believe the state allows dealers to charge up to $250 to cover the cost of paperwork etc... It's not a junk fee to maximize profit.
If it isn't, I'd like to know what other effect it has! Any time the state has to cap a fee, it's a sure indication that the fees were being abused prior to the state regulation.

When I buy a car, or my family buys a car, we all pay the same fee. If we waive it for one person we risk opening the company up to litigation from someone claiming discrimination.
That statement is so silly I'm surprised you made it. Virtually every car deal is different and there's no basis for a lawsuit simply because they differ. If you charged a fee because of the ethnicity of the customer, you might have a point, but that isn't the case here.

There are other industry's that have fees like this. Ever by a house? Did you pay any "closing fees" to the lender? Every lender I spoke to has application fees, credit bureau fees, closing costs, etc... Even the FHA loans have closing costs everyone has to pay when they purchase a loan through them.
Oddly enough, many lenders don't charge closing fees these days and feature this prominently in their advertising! They figured out that customers don't like it.

The "everybody's charging fees" argument is weak, because such fees are limited to only a couple of fields. If I buy a TV, computer, groceries, gasoline, jewelry, amateur radio gear, etc. the sellers don't try to up the price with fees after the price is negotiated. Why should certain auto dealers have to charge a fee and others not? To obtain more "Pure Profit", of course!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TheDanger
Congrats on the new xB...im about to buy mine soon but after reading this I might change my dealership choice...So Kieth Pierson was trying to charge you $700?? Also if you want more details on how to meet up with more Scions pm we are having a meet this Friday.
No, KPierson was $499, Coggin Avenues was $399. K.Pierson wouldn't budge, so I went to lake city. I have been to the meet once by Zaxby's. This friday is my truck club's monthly meeting, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get there.

MattB
Old 04-06-2004, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member

Doc fee for me out here in LA was $45.
Despite anyone's opinions that fees are Cost of doing business, bottom line is it's just added in. They could add it to the price of the car and hide it but it's easier for me to brush it off as it's an ok, almost understandable 45. But $700? That's just gouging, pure and simple. :twisted:
Old 04-06-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbchance
Doc fee for me out here in LA was $45.
Despite anyone's opinions that fees are Cost of doing business, bottom line is it's just added in. They could add it to the price of the car and hide it but it's easier for me to brush it off as it's an ok, almost understandable 45. But $700? That's just gouging, pure and simple. :twisted:
Actually, they can't "just add it to the price of the car" as the advertised MSRP is not determined by the dealer. The fixed "pure" MSRP includes a reasonable profit for the dealer and the dealer's expenses are supposed to come out of that profit.

Toyota tried very hard to make sure that all customers are treated alike and the price of a popular new model wouldn't be inflated (like the PT Cruiser, Odyssey, etc.) but it is obvious that some dealers are evading this intent.

The only reason to charge junk fees is to raise the price after the price has been agreed on by the customer and dealer. This is deception and customers shouldn't stand for it.

Our local Honda dealer is a lot more honest about junk fees. They add a sticker to the window on Odysseys with the line item "Additional Dealer Profit". At least they tell the customer up front that they will be gouged!

George
Old 04-07-2004, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to know the truth the dealer does set the price. Most just keep it at MSRP because why would you want to go over when the dealer down the street will have it at MSRP. But some dealers do have it over like(look at the accessory prices)http://carsonscion.com/html/carsonmenu.html and there are dealers near me that actually made some of their accessory prices lower. I've been through alot of Scion training and they will tell you. Selling Price=Posted Price or Menu Price
Meaning that the price the dealer sells it at can be whatever they want as long as it's posted in the dealership and on their price menu on their web site. And all the accessories that they offer are supposed to be posted on their web site and in their showroom. And i've seen alot of the web sites and alot of them don't show everything that they offer.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rcstprez
For what it is worth..I 'ordered' mine through Rountree, and did not even have to leave a deposit. Deposits are refundable. I tried talking my local dealers out of the fee, and they wouldn't budge. So, I made the drive. I was buying a xB, and obviously the local guy didn't want to make the deal..

I say go get your deposit back (they will sell the one you are waiting on, no problem), and call: Kris Summerlin @ Rountree. She'll be honest with you, and let you know what kind of time frame is involved. It took her exactly 2 weeks from the day I told her what I wanted to the day I was driving it home. Tell her Matt B sent you (no I dont get kick back..I just told her I would send people her way, and I want to show that I am doing that). Good luck

Matt B
I am dealing with Chris Summerlin NOW. Rountree is 198 miles from my house. The 2 local dealers here have screwed around with me and I refuse to buy from them now. Chris has been very helpful thus far and said my xB will arrive at rountree Monday. I was required today to give a $1,000 deposit (I'm putting down more) but the card will not be charged until I arrive at the dealership for pick-up. I hope the service continues all the way through as it has so far. I've got to ask her if there is a better rate for me than the 6.95% with Toyota though. If not, no biggie. 5k is being transferred the first month to a 0% balance transfer rate on a credit card.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Bump.

I'm very glad that this thread has been posted, now I'm alot more familiar with how things worked out poorly for some, and in some cases worked out better for others.

Here in Ohio, a certain dealer charges $100. I have to call 45 miles away, and check what they are charging now. Thank to this post, now I'm curious.

:D

Great read/thread.

Dave
Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aimeeXa
In MA, I believe the state allows dealers to charge up to $250 to cover the cost of paperwork etc... It's not a junk fee to maximize profit. When I buy a car, or my family buys a car, we all pay the same fee. If we waive it for one person we risk opening the company up to litigation from someone claiming discrimination.
Wow...do you really believe people are that naive..if it isn't a junk fee then why does it vary from dealer to dealer...even w/in the same state? Is the paperwork any more complicated in MA than CA...where i paid only $45...i find that extremely difficult to believe....

Secondly....you'd be discriminating if you charged one person the fee and and not another. Okay...you must be joking on this one! You're a car dealer! You sell people the same item to different prices to people everyday! So do you open yourself up to litigation when you sell one person a base Corrolla CE at $15K and another person the exact same car for $14K?

Please stop the bs
Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by rcstprez
Don't know why this is bothering me, but after some investigation..I just have to ask: If the Scion's are being sold as "Pure Pricing", then why do the "Documents Fee's" differ so much? For instance, I have seached every dealers web site in Florida, and have found Documents Fee's anywhere from $35 to $700!! So, if I am willing to make the drive (Florida really ain't that big), I stand to save $665 from one dealer to another. If one dealer can 'process paperwork' for $35, why can't all of you do it?
Just venting, but I'd really like to know...

MattB
Prolly cause some dealers have higher overhead. Someone has to pay for those large luxurious buildings. Scions do not have a very high profit margine to begin with so some dealers are trying to make a quick buck and don't worry about future business from you. The ones with the lower dock fees are more interested in your future business.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:01 PM
GEO
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A little of topic but I once had a dealer who tried to charge me a destination fee and the car was on the lot already.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by GEO
A little of topic but I once had a dealer who tried to charge me a destination fee and the car was on the lof already.
Most domestic dealers have the destination charges right on the sticker. They vary by make and model. Usually the more expensive the vehicle the higher the destination/delivery fee is.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member

My dealer wanted 35 for doc fees. i told them that since they never disclosed this fee i wasnt going to pay. They gave in. A small victory. But a victory is still sweet when you have them give in to you after they say "everybody pays this fee". Well, not anymore they don't.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! 2-1/2 years dormant and the thread jumps back to life! Old threads never die!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pure pricing?? What a joke. I had several (4) dealers pulling at my arms and feet trying to sell me the xB. I got out of of the dealer for $16,358 out the door pricing on my RS4. I think that was a good deal for me.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I typically do not trade cars. However, I was told - when shopping for my 05 xB - if I was to trade, the first dealer to 'cut a deal' would record the vin and all dealers would have to honor the quote (no more - no less). I didn't give it much thought as, again, my cars are typically wore out before replaced.

Quick Reply: Pure Pricing? Question for the dealers...