Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Question: Fogged up windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member

Default Question: Fogged up windows

....and no funny stuff going on inside the car,either,darn!

I have searched the forums and can't find a definitive answer to this question. I drive my xB 30 miles to work in Northern Wisconsin and the windows are so fogged up, that I only have a vignette to look at through the front windshield, and two giant teardrops to look through at my sideview mirrors. The rest of the windows (except the back, with defrost on) are iced up. Any ideas?

I have tried pointing the "fan *****" in various ways and also not turned on the fan until the car warmed up,which sort of worked, but not really.

If this is the wrong forum, please forgive me and redirect.

TIA

(I love my xB otherwise!)

Barb, the Blue Ox
Old 12-06-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Be sure that you have the HVAC system set to FRESH air instead of RECIRC. Also, try it with the AC button depressed. If neither of those things fix it, take the car in, something's wrong.

We've had a few icy weeks in Iowa and mine hasn't had any problems like that (in fact, it's warming and defrosting outside as I type).

Good luck!

-Alex
Old 12-06-2005, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default same problem

Hello, Blue_0xB I too have been having the same issues. With just the heat on low my windows get fogged up bad, even with the defrost on it doesn't help. So anyone with problem that got this fixed and can help please post. Thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's ice, not fog, buy an ice scraper. Don't wait for the defroster to melt ice, and DON'T DRIVE IF YOU CAN'T SEE!

If it's fog, dry heat is what you want. Sometimes the best way to dry the air is to use the AC in conjunction with the defroster/defogger.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be sure that you have the HVAC system set to FRESH air instead of RECIRC.
I have the same issues, I need to try that thanks...
Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Setting the HVAC system to Fresh air works....I've not had any real prolblems with this and in the winter I always run fresh air...I turn on the defrost on high as soon as I start the car and once the little blue light goes off I move the dial to split defrost and feet, aim the front driver and passenger vents at the windows and don't have any problems....

Now if someone has a solution for the wiper blades icing up........
Old 12-06-2005, 03:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) Make sure the air outlet selector in in the defrost area of the control.
2) Make sure the air inlet selector is set for outside air.
3) Make sure the fan is turned up to at least the second speed.

If this doesn't keep the windows clear, your A/C-Heating system has a problem and the dealer needs to look at it.

(Is your xB within the range of VINs affected by the A/C TSBs for 2004 and early 2005 xBs? If so, one or both of those TSBs may need to be done since both can affect defrosting, not just air conditioning.)
Old 12-06-2005, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member

I will try the HVAC on fresh tomorrow- if that doesn't work, I'll try the air. I hope I don't have to bring it in.......

I'll report results- thanks

Barb,the BlueOxB
Old 12-06-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
1) Make sure the air outlet selector in in the defrost area of the control.
2) Make sure the air inlet selector is set for outside air.
3) Make sure the fan is turned up to at least the second speed.

If this doesn't keep the windows clear, your A/C-Heating system has a problem and the dealer needs to look at it.

(Is your xB within the range of VINs affected by the A/C TSBs for 2004 and early 2005 xBs? If so, one or both of those TSBs may need to be done since both can affect defrosting, not just air conditioning.)

Tom - Is the "range of VIN's affected" available anywhere on SL?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes it is... let's see if I can find it with a search, eh?

Try this one:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=948369#948369

There are other places, too, but that's the one that came up searching "tsb vin" with me as the poster. :D

Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
If it's ice, not fog, buy an ice scraper. Don't wait for the defroster to melt ice, and DON'T DRIVE IF YOU CAN'T SEE!

If it's fog, dry heat is what you want. Sometimes the best way to dry the air is to use the AC in conjunction with the defroster/defogger.
I have always "Treated" my cars nice in winter, by letting them warm up and even melt all windows down wile I sip my coffee inside

I do simple brush off, and not hack at anything , windows or paint.

Oh and to the post, yes if your not able to produce enough heat to clear fog or melt off snow something may be wrong.

I was wondering in real cold weather if Ill had to do clasic cardboard section over radiator to keep the heat up. Car gets cold quik with window opened minimaly.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something like this happened to me the other day while at work. I was drving back a wrecked rental car(BMW X3) from a customer 2hrs away. When I had it at defrost and full blast the windows would clear up moderately. I would turn it back down b/c it gets anoying trying to enjoy the ride with a fan buzzing. And the windows fogged back up. Now this X3 wasn't equiped with the automatic climate controls that I am used to in most of the other cars. Then I remembered that they ran the a/c with the defroster and in general to help dry up the inside air, I guess to prevent fogging. I tried this in the rental I was in and bam the fog went away and didnt come back as long as I kept the A/c on. I also switched it off re-circulate since the outside air is pretty dry these days in Southwestern PA. I know that you are dealing with a Scion but I think that the same principals should apply. DANG thats a long post.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TEASER
I have always "Treated" my cars nice in winter, by letting them warm up and even melt all windows down wile I sip my coffee inside

I do simple brush off, and not hack at anything , windows or paint.
You can't hurt glass with a plastic scraper.

But if the ice is thick enough, you can hurt the glass by applying a lot of heat to one side of it while there's a jacket of ice on the other side.

After 30 years of Chicago and Philadelphia winters, I trust my scraper.

The people I don't trust are the ones driving cars they can't see out of. People who don't clear their rear and side windows, who drive with a film of ice on their windshields and frost-covered mirrors. The semi that's bearing down on them is there whether they can see it or not, and so is the pedestrian crossing the street from their blind side.

RichC

RichC
Old 12-07-2005, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have found that lpaying with the heat setting helps sometimes. if it is still fogging with fresh air, turning the heat down to medium may help the glass equilibrate with the external temp..
Old 12-07-2005, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for your help Tom. I have an early '05 and it is within the range of VINs affected.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member

yeah make sure you dont have it on recirc air...
Old 12-07-2005, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...air intake on fresh...ac button pushed in ....fan at 2 or 3..temp all the way over to heat...but also , let the thing warmup before driving .
Old 12-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might want to have your dealership check out your A/C system then, Garry. There's no guarantee that yours needs the fixes from the TSBs (my early '05 only required the adjustment one) but it should be checked.

What I wonder about is how they are going to check it... The tests require that the vehicle be in a very warm environment at a known temp and humidity per the service manual and TSBs. Maybe they could keep it an a heated indoor environment overnight so they could test it the next morning? I dunno.

Just for interest, here's a brief description of the 'test' needed to determine if the A/C is working correctly. You can't do it with the vehicle in a cold environment:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=909460#909460

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

Amazing what works when you follow the directions ;} !

Turns out I had the little switch on recirc and that was what the whole problem was- I switched it to FRESH and - no more fog!

Thanks so much for everyone's help.

Fogless in Wisconsin
aka Barb, the Blue Oxb
Old 12-07-2005, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

your welcome

and thanks for using Scion Life

Quick Reply: Question: Fogged up windows