Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Rear Door Mounted Bicycle Rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member

Default Rear Door Mounted Bicycle Rack

I need to have a bicycle rack on my brand new xB (picked it up today!)
The rack choices are: Roof, Tow-Hitch or Trunk (rear door) mounted type.
The towing hitch installer did not recommend using it for the bike carrier since it produces significantly more side torque that just towing a trailer. The roof rack is not a good choice – underground garage is too low and I need to have it only on occasions. This leaves me with “trunk” mounted rack as the only choice. I was recommended the Yakima King Joe 3 – really well designed carrier. My problem is that the bottom supports rest on the license plate and the whole rack seems not to be high enough. It also interfered with rear wiper.
I would like to know from other xB owners about their experiences and their recommendations.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member

I used an old cheapie bike rack from K-Mart I used on my old 95 Honda Civic on the back of my xB. The frame adjusts with the upper padded crossbar resting on the metal edge above the glass. The straps were shortened to fit the gap between the upper edge and the roof. The lower crossbar adjusted to fit just below the glass and above the tag. The straps were run down to the bottom edge of the door frame. Worked pretty good. Forget having enough clearance for the rear wiper. Having the weight of the bikes exert more leverage would cause panel flexing worse than it does now. I've been thinking about reinforcing the rear door panel from inside. The strap installation flexes the rear door panel and a bit of extra stiffness would be nice. A more permanent fix would be to have a permanent bolt-on. The holes in the rear door panel would be plugged with nylon screws when not in use. But the straps work well for the limited amount of use the rack gets. So this becomes a "only if I'm REALLY bored project".
Old 09-21-2006, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member

just put your bike inside the box... if you fold the seats down, threre's more than enough room to fit it.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Get a folding bike or fold down the seats to make room for full size bike. No way in he11 I'd risk body damage by mounting that thing to the hatch. It's scary enough when they mount up roof racks.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 AM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a trailer hitch installed. Then the hitch receiver bicycle mount.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use my old Rhode Gear rack. It seems to work fine. I was worried at first with the upper bar resting on the glass, but all is good. Here is a pic of it in action.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thanh523
just put your bike inside the box... if you fold the seats down, threre's more than enough room to fit it.
i prefer mine in the box.

i put the front passenger seat forward, and the back seats down. then i back the bike in at angle minus the front wheel, then bungee cord them onto the things that the back seats would normally latch to.

if i want to carry a passenger i just lift up the 1/3 back seat.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Ouch, that thing is touching the paint in 8 different spots. That is a classic case of RS3.0 abuse. That is just plain wrong!!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro_b
Ouch, that thing is touching the paint in 8 different spots. That is a classic case of RS3.0 abuse. That is just plain wrong!!!!
I was leery at first, but you have to realize that the hooks are rubber covered and the bar is foam padded--I've been running for over a month now, taking it off weekly to wash and check for damage-- not the slightest scratch anywhere!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

That may be but why risk it to just carry a bike? Considering how thin the metal is I hope it doesn't bow the steel from the weight. I might also suggest applying some 3M clear stuff where all those contact points are just to be safe.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member

Don't buy the hatch mounted bike rack. I tried it and it put a bent dent on my hatch. You can put 2 bikes inside the car with no problem, just remove front tires and lower seat all the way down.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:22 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Aaaaahhhhhhhh! RS3.0 abuse! RS3.0 abuse!

Take that awful stuff off your paint or you will regret it.

Rubber nothing! I can scratch paint with a microfiber towel with some dirt and inadequate lubrication. Now what do you think is touching your paint? Yeah, dry, dirty rubber.

To the OP: GO up top, and when clearance is an issue... go inside
Old 09-25-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my Toaster specifically to carry my Road Bike, it's a 58cm and fits perfectly if you take the front wheel off, just put the seats down and lay the Bike diagonally, in fact, I slip the Front wheel into the Cargo Net...I can fit my wife's bike in at the same time, I put her Bike in first, put some thick Towels over the Frame and lay mine on top...
I didn't want to leave my $7000 Bike hanging off the Back of the Toaster
Old 09-25-2006, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 58cm road bike fit in the back just fine with both wheels attached, tuck the front wheel behind the driver seat and you're good to go! This was how I got home after dropping my car off for repairs a few days ago perfect!!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitesuperbox
My 58cm road bike fit in the back just fine with both wheels attached, tuck the front wheel behind the driver seat and you're good to go! This was how I got home after dropping my car off for repairs a few days ago perfect!!
So what I'm picturing is that you turn the Front wheel 90* to the left and with the Bike laying drivetrain side UP the Bike just fits in yeah? That's a flippin good idea mate!! Do you take the Head Rest off the rear seat? I have leather interior so if the Head rest stays in place I guess I could just cover it with something...

Before I bought my Toaster I took my Bike to the Dealership and put it inside...the Salesman was happy because he said if a Customer asked if a Bike would fit he could tell them "Yes"
Old 09-27-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tuvanhillbilly
Originally Posted by jethro_b
I was leery at first, but you have to realize that the hooks are rubber covered and the bar is foam padded--I've been running for over a month now, taking it off weekly to wash and check for damage-- not the slightest scratch anywhere!
trust me on this. past experience...you want to put some protection on that paint something like the 3M that was mentioned...it's not so much the hooks but the dirt/dust/mud that get under the hooks that will totally scratch up your paint.....a little dirt and a bad bump, the rack moves a little and scratch!

If it's a road bike put it inside..but if your a dirt head...your going t owant and use a rack..I'd recommend a roof rack.....only takes one time of not getting the bike on the trunk/rear rack the right way and that peddle scratches the paint

I"m also a fan of the trailer hitch rack
Old 09-27-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turn the wheel 90 degrees to the left and slot the wheel behind the drivers seat. Don't take off the headrests. It'll fit, just make sure the rear wheel is pushed in as far as possible before closing the hatch.

Lovin this car! I can now get to and from the dealership for repairs and not need a ride back!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitesuperbox
Turn the wheel 90 degrees to the left and slot the wheel behind the drivers seat. Don't take off the headrests. It'll fit, just make sure the rear wheel is pushed in as far as possible before closing the hatch.

Lovin this car! I can now get to and from the dealership for repairs and not need a ride back!
Got it...thanks!! I have to take my Toaster to the Dealer too to have something installed, so I'll take the Bike and have a ride to the Beach and back while I'm waiting .
Old 09-28-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update: Not only can I fit a 58cm road bike in the back with both wheels still in place, but also can fit my girlfriend's Townie bike in the back with both wheels on (but I had to move the seats up for her bike since the bars are so big).

It was kind of wierd driving back home with the seat so close to the wheel....it felt like being in an old aircooled VW
Old 09-29-2006, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hmm my aircooled veedub wasn't that close to the wheel

when I have my road bike with me I remove both wheels and the bike fits beind the rear seats perfectly.

Quick Reply: Rear Door Mounted Bicycle Rack