Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Rear washer squirter question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member

Default Rear washer squirter question

Is the rear washer supposed to dribble down in one stream in the middle of the window, or squirt in a few streams to cover the whole window like in the front? Should I go get this thing checked out or does everyone else's do the same thing?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:27 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats what mine does too. :? I think thats normal.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rear washer uses the same pump as the front washers. The fluid runs through a long tube that runs under the plastic trim at the bottom of the doors, up the rear pillar, across the door, and finally to the squirter. By the time the fluid gets all that way there isn't enough pressure left to spray it well.

Toyota saved a buck or two by not putting in another bottle and pump, and who checks the function of the rear washer during a test drive anyway?

George
Old 02-12-2005, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know if we could swap out the washer for one like up front? I rather it have its squirt at least in two places it would do a much better job.

He he he... jet one of the strobe light ones and you would look like a school bus here in florida ha ha ha.!
Old 02-12-2005, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I want mine to be a freaking torrent. So when people are on my tail I can give them a squirt. Every time they get close, "squirt". It works. I do it with my front but it's wasteful. ‘Takes too much liquid to get the overspray up on their window that way.

"squirt" <-- that's a fun word to say.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by UBYTRON
Does anyone know if we could swap out the washer for one like up front? I rather it have its squirt at least in two places it would do a much better job.
bump on this post, because i'm sick of wasting washer fluid trying to get that one spot on my rear window because the stupid sprayer won't get that one spot...
Old 02-13-2005, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I don't even use mine... the squirter makes all the dirt dribble down the back of the car and on the bumper too. I just live with it until the next washing. (almost always that weekend)
Old 02-13-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the sprayer should have been attached to the wiper
Old 02-13-2005, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah I've come to the conclusion that the squirter is pretty useless... in fact the rear wiper is relatively useless as well... its better to rain-x or wax the whole thing anyhow.... actually inthe xB I rarely look out the back to place cars (I use the side mirrors) ... I only look out the back when I slow down to make sure no one is gonna hit me.

I wish there was a way to keep the wiper going while I squirt.. the whole mechanism makes no sense...

maybe there is a way to replace the rear spray nozzle ... or fashion another one by poking another hole... it doesn't have to have great pressure, just better coverage.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chimmy3
...I wish there was a way to keep the wiper going while I squirt.. the whole mechanism makes no sense...
Eh? My xB rear wiper keeps running when I use the rear dribbler... Did you try twisting in the other direction?
Old 02-13-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Professor Murder
Originally Posted by UBYTRON
bump on this post, because i'm sick of wasting washer fluid trying to get that one spot on my rear window because the stupid sprayer won't get that one spot...
There are aftermarket washer kits that include a bottle and pump. All you'd have to do is find a place for the bottle (perhaps behind the removable vent grille in the rear side panels) and hook it into the hose to the washer nozzle. Wire the pump up to the switch and you're in business.

Now, the nozzle is only about a half-inch from the plane of the glass. That makes the spray angle very critical. Get it a degree too far from the glass and all you'll do is wet down the bumper! You might look for a multi-spray nozzle from another car that is an inch or two long to get a better angle on the window.

Someone suggested putting the sprayers on the wiper. This is a good idea, but involves drilling a hole in the hatch for the fluid hose and having to run the wiper "dry" for the first couple swings until the window gets wet.

Personally, I find the rear wiper to be more of a decoration than a usable device. The arm is weak and the blade chatters unless the rear glass is really wet. The glass doesn't really receive a constant flow of water when driving in the rain, but instead gets a mist of road grit from under the car that will likely scratch the glass if you use the wiper indiscriminately. Toyota should have saved a few bucks and left it off.

George.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well the wiper is pretty ugly too... I mean its plastic and obviously so...

I'm going to try that "twisting other direction" thing...
Old 06-23-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I beleive they corrected this on the later scions, my 06 xB has a dual stream in the back.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member

My 06 has 2 streams, but it always leaves a nasty trail of dirt down the hatch so I dont really use it.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My wife's RS 3.0 is a dual stream. I like it.

My 2006 xB is a single stream. :-(

Looks like they added it to 2006 models built in Dec 2005 and above, plus they have the nice steering wheels with the radio controls. There's also a new air bag light by the ash tray.

My car was built last Aug 2005. At least I have the new stereo with the iPod connector. :-)
Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 06 has the dual spray, and is pretty much unexceptional in every way- neither great nor lousy. I'm sure I'll like it in the winter, however, when the flying melting/refreezing thrown up by the traffic ____ swirls around onto the hatch window...

Squirt/swipe- say buh-bye.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by superjeer
I want mine to be a freaking torrent. So when people are on my tail I can give them a squirt. Every time they get close, "squirt". It works. I do it with my front but it's wasteful. ‘Takes too much liquid to get the overspray up on their window that way.

"squirt" <-- that's a fun word to say.
Take a look at the car in this post:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...&highlight=pee

Old 06-25-2006, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member

Hmmm,

I Have An '04 xB,

and I Swear Mine Used To Shoot A Dual Stream,

but I Noticed The Other Night,

That It Just Dribbles Down...

Maybe One Hole Is Clogged?

Well I'll Go Take A Look Soon,