Rear wiper

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Rion
As limited as it's usefulness is, the only think less practical is taking it off altogether! But I guess if you think it looks better and that is more important than being able to clear the back window, go for it.
Well, all practicality was lost since I refused to use it. My Box has never gotten dirty enough that i can't see out the back. I have never seen it rain hard enough to allow the arm to pass twice without streaking. I hate the thought of the wiper fluid dribbling down the hatch and crusting up. I thought it was impractical to have to wash, chamois and wax around something that I refused to use. What good was it to have it then? It collects dust, covers valuable sticker real estate, rattles with a good bass beat. It doesn't add anything to the appearance of the car. The tail is unique, I never had someone ask me too turn on my rear wiper, but I'm always getting asked to wag the tail.

Luckily we don't all see things alike or all our cars would look alike. Sometimes things can improve the looks without a sacrafice. Rain-X and the downforce of the air on the rear window from my Fab spoiler keeps it pretty clean, cleaner than before with a foot wide semicircle streaked across the back.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
My Box evolved and grew a tail:
Thats great, I love that.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As cheap as the whole set-up is, when you live in a filthy dump of a city like Pittsburgh, that little crummy wiper and it's dribbler is a God send. It actually helped me this winter.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... My Box has never gotten dirty enough that i can't see out the back. I have never seen it rain hard enough to allow the arm to pass twice without streaking...
I believe this is a regional thing. In much of Cali and the U.S. South, weather is limited to clear, clean rain and not the crap and stuff we encounter in other regions where snow, precipitation, mud and dirty slush regularly builds up on our back window.

Originally Posted by Davestoaster
As cheap as the whole set-up is, when you live in a filthy dump of a city like Pittsburgh, that little crummy wiper and it's dribbler is a God send. It actually helped me this winter.
Agreed.

RPM

PS/BTW: I think I'll give Rain-X a try... I hear so many on SL recommend it. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Banned
SL Member

As limited as it's usefulness is, the only think less practical is taking it off altogether! But I guess if you think it looks better and that is more important than being able to clear the back window, go for it.
Well, all practicality was lost since I refused to use it. My Box has never gotten dirty enough that i can't see out the back. I have never seen it rain hard enough to allow the arm to pass twice without streaking.
I can see that, I guess.

I don't get the tail thing though, seems retarded.

Why not just remove the wiper all togther and cover the hole and make the back look nice and clean instead of having a 1/2 a broken wiper sticking out and calling it a tail?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If your looking for a good fix for your wiper tail here is what fireturtle did to his xB. I thought it was a very good idea. So I took pics of it. Check www.strictlyscions.com for all the pics of what we do. Here is a link directly to his. http://www.strictlyscions.com/DSC02098.JPG
All it is, is a $3 cap for a sink that you can get at home depot. Make sure you check the fitting size first but it seals fine with no leaks. Tell me what you think.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, all practicality was lost since I refused to use it. My Box has never gotten dirty enough that i can't see out the back. I have never seen it rain hard enough to allow the arm to pass twice without streaking.
I can see that, I guess.

Why not just remove the wiper all togther and cover the hole and make the back look nice and clean instead of having a 1/2 a broken wiper sticking out and calling it a tail?
It's not a broken wiper, it's a T-Rex tail and its funny to me and THAT'S why i put it on there. I didn't want the stub sticking out, wasn't comitted to take all the hardware out in case I changed my mind, haven't found a plug I like, waiting for ICE to put in a rearview cam, love the look on people's faces behind me when I turn it on and it wags, my kids think it's funny(my son wants me to mount the head on the front bumper), preferred it over the Scion Fist-NES Controller-CellPhone-etc. that others are running. There, maybe one of those reasons is satisfactory...

Why is it that everything you don't agree with is wrong?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Chace
If your looking for a good fix for your wiper tail here is what fireturtle did to his xB. I thought it was a very good idea. So I took pics of it. Check www.strictlyscions.com for all the pics of what we do. Here is a link directly to his. http://www.strictlyscions.com/DSC02098.JPG
All it is, is a $3 cap for a sink that you can get at home depot. Make sure you check the fitting size first but it seals fine with no leaks. Tell me what you think.
It looks OK, but just as unfinished, IMO. Besides, I've still got 14 bright spots on my exterior that I'm trying to get rid of, not add more. I've got four taken care of ,planning-wise, at least...
Old 03-26-2005, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member

I rarely use it, so it's coming off in the next few months
Old 03-26-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default windshield scratches....

Hi,

Ok, so lets say I used my rear wiper and now I have some actual scratches in the glass...

Any thoughts on removing the scratches short of replacing the window glass ??

This could also apply to the front windshield also...

Dave
Old 03-26-2005, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Check a detail supply place for Glass Polish. It's like a light rubbing compound for glass. i used to use it alot...
Old 03-26-2005, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If only the blade hole was in the middle of the hatch, so it gave a semi-symetrical look. The way it's placed (off to the right a tad) makes it not worth to take it off. IMO atleast; i'd rather deal with putting something between the glass and wiper to cease bass ratles.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

////Say NO to Wipers////
Old 03-26-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Rear wiper

This thread is not about removing the rear wiper. Instead it is asking a simple question:

Has anyone found a way to make the wiper bigger and more effective for cleaning the rear window?

The original post reads:
Originally Posted by mjdukehart2
I'm trying to figure out a way to make it bigger so it clears more of the window. The area it does now is almost useless.
*BUMP* Can anyone answer our question?

Thanks. RPM
Old 03-26-2005, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

There's only two other options I can think of besides what's already been stated (larger blade, Rain-X) - Those NASCAR pull sheets... or an air ducting that would force some air down the back window, but it'd introduce drag and probably whistle/windnoise...
Old 03-26-2005, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... what's already been stated (larger blade, Rain-X) ...
Right, has anyone been successful in mounting a larger blade?

It looks a little tricky... may require an adapter.

Thanks. RPM
Old 03-26-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's what I'm talking about:

There may be fitment issues with a larger blade.

RPM
Old 03-27-2005, 01:31 AM
Banned
SL Member

I can see that, I guess.

It's not a broken wiper, it's a T-Rex tail and its funny to me and THAT'S why i put it on there. I didn't want the stub sticking out, wasn't comitted to take all the hardware out in case I changed my mind, haven't found a plug I like, waiting for ICE to put in a rearview cam, love the look on people's faces behind me when I turn it on and it wags, my kids think it's funny(my son wants me to mount the head on the front bumper), preferred it over the Scion Fist-NES Controller-CellPhone-etc. that others are running. There, maybe one of those reasons is satisfactory...

Why is it that everything you don't agree with is wrong?
It's not 'wrong'. Like I said, I just don't get it and it seems retarded.

If it makes you smile, that's all that really matters. Who cares if I am in the car behind you laughing my a$$ off?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Bouncer
My idea is to take out the wiper, take out the wiper fluid sprayer thing, re-route the small washer fluid hose to the front, and spilt it into two smaller hoses. Then, have it in the wheel well facing the tires. When you press the spray button, it'll lightly mist the tires evenly.

A little cheat to get a good burnout. My brother uses it alot on his Dually truck. It wins tons of burnout competitions that way.

This is just an idea, I understand we're still talking about a 100hp scion here.
~If you mist your tires with bleach instead of water, they'll get five times the grip of regualar, kinda being the opposite of misting with water, 100% pointless unless you have 500 horsepower or you really like turning sharply, but just interesting enough to merit posting I think. (P.S. this is about the worst thing you could do to your tires as far as making them last awhile goes, it also kills your tread, so don't do it if you plan on ever driving in the rain again.)
Old 04-01-2005, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a set of bullets that replaced my front wiper blades on one of my cars, picked them up at a local hot rod show and I remember they came in different styles here is a link shows what I am talking about you could probably repaint it following the write up someone did on emblems so it would match the box. http://store.yahoo.com/go-kat-go/winwipbul.html

Quick Reply: Rear wiper