Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]
View Poll Results: What marque did you ditch to get your xB?
VW/Audi
26.67%
GM
23.33%
Ford/Lincoln/Mercury
26.67%
Honda
6.67%
Mazda/Suzuki/other Asian marques...they all look the same.
0%
Ferrari/Jeep/Porsche/MB/BMW/other
16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Recent VW defector here...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member

Default Recent VW defector here...

I am the biggest VW fan you have ever seen...I know facts about the Volkswagen marque that the boys at VW have probably forgotten. My father drove nothing but...my first car was an 83 GTI and it was followed by many, many more...air-coolers and water-coolers too. When I was a kid, I would go to the dealership with my Dad just to see the new models and snake a couple brochures to pour over at home. My bedroom walls weren't plastered with girls, but VW of all shapes and sizes. You get the point...

When the A3 body style came out in 1993, it was a breakout from previous VW styling. It had a definite Asian feel to it. It took several years for me to warm up to it, but I eventually bought a brand new 97 Jetta GLS. I loved this car and it was the first car that I modded to any degree...lowered, rims, some go-fast goodies, etc. When the A4 body style came out in 1999, VW had seriously taken a turn toward the far-east coast. My wife's car is a 2001 Jetta and I hate this car. Now with the new Jetta, VW has completely fell off. They have forgotten their roots! The new Jetta looks just like the Honda Civic! Same with the new Golf that is on the way. And the New Beetle is way too over priced to resurrect the Beetle the way it could have been. Vw has lost me as a customer...I will always love the air-coolers and intend to buy one as soon as I can.

The Scion xB today, is the VW Beetle of the 1950's. It has a unique style all of its own that not too many people seem to like, it is a little under-powered but gets good gas mileage, it is well made by a reputable company, and it has a devote following of enthusiasts that love it.

That's why I recent bought an '06 TCM xB and I love it immensly. It is everything that I heard that is was and more...sorry about the spelling, it's been a long day.

Glad to be aboard!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Welcome to the xB subculture. It is unique like the original bug, and hope no one tries to make a spinoff. No one ever did with the bug. Congrats on your TCM
Old 10-05-2005, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I had a bug. 1998. Boy was the name accurate. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. electrical mostly but mechanical too. The worst part was, VW did not stand behind their car. I will never buy VW again as long as I live. The company and customer service (from the VW USA) was awful. Scion has treated me like I bought a BMW...
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member

I agree with VW customer service...it has really suffered along with the style. My wife's 2001 Jetta has had numerous problems and it seems like we get a new recall notice in the mail every week!

The New Beetles are notorious pieces of shat...mostly electrical like you said. If VW had done something similar to the xB with the New Beetle they would have hit a home run. It is just too expensive for what you actually get! The xB is marketed like the Beetle of the 50's and 60's with lots of customization and unique styling parts.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<---- Ditched a 2001 Jetta VR6.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DITCHED a 2000 Ford Focus.. AKA FUKUS!!!

Hints my screen name "UnFocused"
Old 10-05-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I use to be a die hard VW fan until I got my Xb. I thought I was the only one who thought that my Xb was like the v dubs of old. Loved my air cooled but they are long gone.
upshift
Old 10-05-2005, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ditched the USS Exon Valdez aka 92 crown vic.

THAT THING SUCKED! No more fords EVER.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
Scion Evolution

<------- Ditched a Chevy s-10 Xtreme.... xtremly horrible... it was cool the first month... but love my BCP xB...every minute of it...
Old 10-05-2005, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ditched an Astro...previous year we ditched a VW turbo Beetle also in yellow. Didn't suck tho just got tired of it. lol

BTW no offense to you, but your screen name offends me... Im sorry... I HATE when ppl call my car a SKYON...you do know thats wrong right??

Not being mean I promise, I just dont understand why ppl call it that!!! We're trying to get ppl to stop calling it that and here you are with the screen name... kinda weird I guess IMO.

:D
Old 10-05-2005, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know I dont have a XB....but before I bought my TC......I was driving a modified 1973
VW Bug with a 2275cc motor in it. God I love that car....it is so much fun...and the looks on peoples faces when they get beat by a bug is priceless.....unfortunatley the car needs a lot of up keep.....especially since I drive it pretty hard...So I have it stored in my parents garage untill I can pay off my TC....then I plan on putting a turbo and a roll cage in my bug...Congrats on your XB..
Old 10-05-2005, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

<---------------First gen Lexus LS400

Man, I remember when 100 was slow. . . but I'm not crazy anymore.

There was actually a good article a few weeks back on VW. . . basically how their cost structure within the company is so screwed up, it prevents the products from staying at the low prices they should be at. It's totally unfortunate. . . but oh well.

In terms of engines, they build some of the best damn diesel engines around. . . but I've stayed far away due to the price of maintainence and parts.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Driver Lost

Just as my scionlife name " Driver Lost" I still have 12 assorted vw's, two sheds of parts, 3000+ toys, posters, Life ads. I've been in 10 different clubs, put together several vw related events, and sold them at 2 different dealerships in the 90's.
I can relate with you Scott. 23 years worth

I defected when VW came after my wife and I for copyright infringement. My wife hand painted vw's on some coffee and beer mugs for club give aways. The case is still open against several enthusiast, and even a church in my area

Besides the fact VW no longer make a quality inexpensive car for the masses, Scion does more as a company for the enthusiast than they ever did. Thanks Scion Good timing.

Rob
Old 10-05-2005, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ditched a 96 Ford Explorer XLT V8 w/tow package - and the only thing I regret is, not being able to throw the dog in back and head to the farm... or throw mulch/sod/victims/etc... um yeah... It's nice not going to the gas station every 3 days... I'd never go back...
Old 10-05-2005, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member

Just to clear it up...

I DO know the proper way to pronounce SCION...I chose my screenname from the fact that when I decided that I was going to buy an xB, just about everyone I told said "What do you want to buy one of those Sky-ons for?". My screenname is just a jab at those who will never understand...

A lot of people don't know that VW didn't official call the VW sedan "The Beetle" until well into the 1970's..."Beetle" was a derrogatory name given to the sedan from those who didn't understand back in the 50's. It was eventually taken in by VW fans and used as a term of endearment, but not in the beginning...
Old 10-05-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe that's what will happen with the Skyon name too. :D

My husbands first car was a 61 ragtop....primer what a great color! Thank goodness that phase didn't last long...no offense but getting calls in the middle of night while we were dating, to come help him start his car, were getting annoying!!! lol

WOW sheds full of parts?

The good thing about Scion corp is, they have NO problem making Scion stuff and passing it out to whomever wants it. lol No need to make homemade stuff! lol

Old 10-05-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My screenname is just a jab at those who will never understand...
VW"s slogan: Drivers Wanted. In the vw scene, Driver Found.
Driver Lost. Lost to Volkswagen the company. My jab.
A lot of people don't know that VW didn't official call the VW sedan "The Beetle" until well into the 1970's..."Beetle" was a derrogatory name given to the sedan from those who didn't understand back in the 50's. It was eventually taken in by VW fans and used as a term of endearment, but not in the beginning...
Ah..........the 1300/ type 1 knowledge is strong with this one
Old 10-06-2005, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my sig. line on TheCarLounge.com:

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
In an effort to follow these wise words I have sold my New Beetle and bought an xB. I may never see the inside of a service dept. again.

The quote has been there a while, the rest was recently added.