First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Removing factory exhaust tip.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Removing factory exhaust tip.

I saw a square exhaust tip I figure would be perfect for my xB. Square for the square. The question is, how do I get the factory tip off? Brute force?
Old 08-03-2004, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

it is a pain in the ___. i think it pretty much is brute force. i raised the little flaps and then with a hammer and screw driver, i carefully began to lossen it up and it should wiggle off. be very careful if you use a hammer and screwdriver not to mess up the actual muffler piping.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, many people have said how tough it is to get off, your going to have to just put some muscle into it. The easiest way is to just get an aftermarket exhaust...LOL :D

...that's what I did ...
Old 08-03-2004, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

lol i took mine off it was a pain i just took it of like opening a can just tore the hell out of it it is only week aluminum any way lol i love my new tip though totaly worth it i say go for it.......
Old 08-07-2004, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats what i did but then it stopped tearing so I took my car to a friends house and we sawed it off. It was a pain half of it is still on but with the new exhaust tip it looks awsome
Old 08-08-2004, 06:56 AM

that tip is a pain in the ___ to take off!!! When I install tips on stock muffler, I get all cocky and remove the muffler and chop the tip off in half to remove it!! You will not be able to just pound it out, trust me!! :o

Old 11-16-2004, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
that tip is a pain in the ___ to take off!!! ... You will not be able to just pound it out, trust me!! :o
Today I installed my new Scion/Valor exhaust tip. I read so many posts that the stock tip was very difficult to remove. Then I read other posts that said it was easy and came right off.

So I went in for battle. :twisted: BIG HAMMER; 2 vise grips, cold chisels; blade screwdrivers, etc.

I shot it up with WD-40 and tapped it 3 times on each side with a heavy cold chisel (no hammer at all) and it popped right off. It wasn't even damaged.

I read so much about others having problems that I think I did a mental Zen thing on it by my intense prep.

I love my new Valor tip. Heavy duty, double wall construction... really a nice piece of work. I think it looks great. RPM
Old 11-17-2004, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RPMxB
Originally Posted by Stylis
that tip is a pain in the ___ to take off!!! ... You will not be able to just pound it out, trust me!! :o
Today I installed my new Scion/Valor exhaust tip. I read so many posts that the stock tip was very difficult to remove. Then I read other posts that said it was easy and came right off.

So I went in for battle. :twisted: BIG HAMMER; 2 vise grips, cold chisels; blade screwdrivers, etc.

I shot it up with WD-40 and tapped it 3 times on each side with a heavy cold chisel (no hammer at all) and it popped right off. It wasn't even damaged.

I read so much about others having problems that I think I did a mental Zen thing on it by my intense prep.

I love my new Valor tip. Heavy duty, double wall construction... really a nice piece of work. I think it looks great. RPM
agreed ---- i got the VALOR tip and it looks AWESOME .. and i had no trouble getting the tip off

got underneath the car and took a flat tip and hammer and banged it off... no problems at all

i think every xB should be rocking the VALOR tip - it looks so dumb without anything there
Old 11-17-2004, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BxB
agreed ---- i got the VALOR tip and it looks AWESOME .. and i had no trouble getting the tip off ... got underneath the car and took a flat tip and hammer and banged it off... no problems at all ... i think every xB should be rocking the VALOR tip - it looks so dumb without anything there
Yes, I read your post where you previously said:

Originally Posted by Soon2BxB
its real easy .. i just tapped it off from underneath with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer ... then the other one slides right on perfectly (made for the xB) and clamps down .. VOILA ... done

its DEF worth the 41 shipped
You were one of my inspirations. Thanks. :D RPM
Old 11-17-2004, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hammer and a flat head. you can push it off really easy
Old 11-17-2004, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kinda like anything on your truck. The sooner you do it, the easier it will be. Once stuff gets corroded and set in.....

I sure am glad I painted my brakes after 3000 miles. If I hadn't, it would be ten times the job this spring!
Old 11-17-2004, 09:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BrockAbabba
Kinda like anything on your truck. The sooner you do it, the easier it will be. Once stuff gets corroded and set in.....

I sure am glad I painted my brakes after 3000 miles. If I hadn't, it would be ten times the job this spring!
i did mine as soon as i got the car. which is probably the main reason why it took only 5 mins. most of that time was used on trying to figure out what tools to use. from there, it only took 2 hits of the hammer.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I tried doing this a few weeks ago, but i got scared because of how it i had to hit it with a hammer. I was afraid I was going to rip off the entire muffler. Is it possible to damange your exhaust by banging off the muffler tip?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by beioski
...Is it possible to damange your exhaust by banging off the muffler tip?
I think it is possible to damage the muffler and exhaust. Fortunately, mine popped right off. If yours is stuck, I suggest having a second guy, wearing leather gloves, hold the exhaust pipe while you bang on it. Definitely use WD-40 and strike it in the tip's middle where the sides stick out. Alternate between left and right sides. Good luck. :D RPM
Old 11-17-2004, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yaaayyyy. Square tips rock!
I did mine too. Check my thread link for installation, part number and pictures :D

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...er=asc&start=0
Old 11-17-2004, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did mine today.. the tip came off after tapping it with a hammer a few times. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 11-17-2004, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by beioski
Is it possible to damange your exhaust by banging off the muffler tip?
if you are careful enough nothing will happen. it will be pretty obvious when something is being damaged.

fyi just like i said before it took 2 swift hits, and it was off.

worse come to worse, take it to the install shop that is going to put your tip on for you. removing the existing one should be free.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member

does a different tip change the sound of the exhaust?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by WhEeLiEz
does a different tip change the sound of the exhaust?
the valor tip did not change the sound of the stock exhaust
Old 11-21-2004, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member

Default tip removal/ valor ??

A little WD40 and a pair of gloves , a little muscle ,... and it came right off...
Guess I was lucky.....
Is there a good on line store that sells the Valor Tip???
Kruzr2&xBtoo

Quick Reply: Removing factory exhaust tip.