rocks on the windshield....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default rocks on the windshield....

Anyone with an xb experience an extensive amount of rocks hitting the windshield? I drive on I-5 a lot and at least once every trip I get hit with a rock. One actually cracked my windshield pretty significantly and I haven't replaced it yet because I always get hit with em and I know its just gonna break again! Anyone else have this problem???
Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

xB is horrible about rocks cracking the windshield...i have a small chip in mine from another xB (thanks Kim) lol...so its just something you have to deal with...sucks but thats the truth...wow a boosted box...nice you get cool points for that
Old 12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Default Re: rocks on the windshield....

Originally Posted by boostedbox06
Anyone with an xb experience an extensive amount of rocks hitting the windshield? I drive on I-5 a lot and at least once every trip I get hit with a rock. One actually cracked my windshield pretty significantly and I haven't replaced it yet because I always get hit with em and I know its just gonna break again! Anyone else have this problem???
The high rake angle of the 1st gen xB's windshield is a problem catching rocks. I call it a Rock Magnet. I drive 3,500 miles a month. About 40k a year in my Service Vehicle 06.5 Box. Most of the travel is on I-80 between Sacto and S.F. I use to stay in the No. 2 lane but would catch a lot of rocks from the big rigs/semis from No. 3 lane especially near the Truck scales. In my first year, I caught 3 rock chips and had them repaired with a Kit. Finally, 2 months ago a caught one about 2" crack above the mirror and it started running sideways. It cost me $505 for the windshield. $45 for the required molding. And another $100 to Install it. So figure around $650 total. I now drive exclusively in the No. 1 lane. I rather take my chances with the kamikaze drrivers there

MR LUV
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Give yourself a 5 second cushion between you and the driver in front of you.

Tailgating is the #1 cause of chips in windshields!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Exactly right. Driving an xB is completely different than my other vehicles because of the rock hazzard.
650 for a windshield???? Safelite installs them at your house for around 300 bucks
Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't tailgate nor do I intend to if I miss a brake check my intercooler and radiator are gonna be as flat as our cars, it doesn't matter how much space you leave on the freeway tires are spinning with so much velocity that those rocks could probably go a hundred feet at least, and its not just truckers tho the major crack above my mirror is from one, i get em from all kinds of vehicles kinda thought it was something do with the steep angle of our windshields as previously state lol
Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Exactly right. Driving an xB is completely different than my other vehicles because of the rock hazzard.
650 for a windshield???? Safelite installs them at your house for around 300 bucks
Question: Is that a Factory Windshield that Safelite Installs? The one with the built-in antenna around it?

MR LUV
Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's just a decorative trim painted onto the inside of the windshiels, not an antenna - diversity antennas are in the two rearmost side windows.

As to windshield chips and such, the xB has a very vertical very tall, very broad windshield mounted fairly close to the road and behind a very short hood that offers very little "rock shadow" for the windshield to hide behind.

Chipped, cracked windshields just come with the box.

Tom
Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got mine replaced about 4 months ago with Fuyao Windshield. Tomas was right, it's not a perfect fit, but close enough. Funny how you said I-5, I drive there all the time and i get the same rock problem especially these past few days with the the wind and stuff. I noticed that when a rock hits my windshield now it's not as loud or should I say "crispy". Before when I rock hits my windshield I have to pull over just to check if it made a crack, now I am more comfortable knowing that I have a thicker windshield. But, there's always a but, since our windshield is in a steep angle, rocks will definitely hit it, and as the guy that replaced me said: "I've been in the business for 30 years, rocks always wins against windshield." hahaha
Old 12-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really do like those Fuyaos - 'round here one of the first things noticed is how much quieter the rain is on them.

Tom
Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hey Krispies how much did that new one run ya? Where did you have it repaired?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got it fixed at a local shop. 290 + 80 bucks labor.. Had to wait a couple of days to be ordered. I guess it's hard to find here in California, but he found it for me!! Friend told me I overpayed, but hey no problem so far... *knocks on wood
Old 12-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tomas
That's just a decorative trim painted onto the inside of the windshiels, not an antenna - diversity antennas are in the two rearmost side windows.

As to windshield chips and such, the xB has a very vertical very tall, very broad windshield mounted fairly close to the road and behind a very short hood that offers very little "rock shadow" for the windshield to hide behind.

Chipped, cracked windshields just come with the box.

Tom
Hello Tomas,

The only thing I found out that has help to try and prevent rock damage and chips is installing a Bug Deflector since replacing my windshield. I find it more effective than the factory bra I got rid of. I don't have to remove it going through car washes or worry about discoloration of the paint on the hood. It kinda of neat seeing a lot less bugs getting on that steep windshield. Hope it helps with rocks.

'Knock on Glass'

MR LUV
Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope that bug deflector deflects rocks for you.

I have the 3M protection film on the front of my box to protect the paint (works VERY well!), but I'm not really convinced that anything can protect the windshield other than having one cut out of diamond... :D

Good luck!

tom
Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tomas
I hope that bug deflector deflects rocks for you.

I have the 3M protection film on the front of my box to protect the paint (works VERY well!), but I'm not really convinced that anything can protect the windshield other than having one cut out of diamond... :D

Good luck!

tom
Thinking Out of the Box (if you excuse the pun, not intended)
I am thinking about picking up the homeless on corners that have signs:
Will Work for Food or illegals and drive them around with catcher's mitts on my hood
and catch the rocks before they hit my windshield.
Hey, it cheaper than another windshield at $650 a pop

MR LUV
Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Too bad that a rock proof piece of Lexan couldn't be made to fit an xB. The stuff armoured vehicles use.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uh, *outside the box* *outside the box* *ding* How 'bout a rubber covered sheet steel windshield with a tiny hole for a video camera, and a video screen in front of the driver?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

A BOX with a turret like a tank! hahaha
Old 12-12-2007, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Picked up a rock chip two months ago heading down the Oregon coast. By the time we went through the mountains and back up I-5, it was growing about 3 inches a day. Called State Farm and had Speedy AutoGlass install a Toyota windshield. I told them I wanted original equipment from the dealer. Cost $650 total I think. No out of pocket for me plus I got coupons for 10 free dinners at Sharis. Antacid not included.

The windshield does have an odd angle. We had a bad windstorm two weeks ago and coming down from Portland I had a headwind that was downright LOUD. Sounded like hydroplaning, but the road wasn't wet. Just a lot of wind right at the top.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Since I got my box, I'm currently on my 4th windshield. My commute in NY sucks in the wintertime, especially with the salt trucks blasting debris all over. I got my last windshield replaced in Feb. or March of this year. 2 weeks after it got done it got dinged by a rock. Didn't crack, but it's got a pock mark on it. I'm not replacing it until it cracks completely.

I'm sick and tired of peeling and reapplying my inspection and registration stickers.

I've had no luck with windshields. My prior car being a Jeep Wrangler that had an almost vertical windshield, I'm more than used to getting my windshield pelted with debris.

Quick Reply: rocks on the windshield....