Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

rocks on the windshield....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive from Sacramento, CA to Fairfield, CA every Weekend (Majority farm Land in between sac and Fairfield.). SO far I got two rock chips and im on my second windshield. It sucks because I believe due to the almost vertical angle the windshield is, there is nothing, not even air flow giving rocks a "cushion" to be on before it hits. I noticed if I drive on the Fast lane, Im more prone to something at least hitting the windshield even if it doesnt chip the windshield reguardless if there is anyone infront of me or not. Best way to fix this???? I dont really know...
Old 12-14-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ya it sucks doesn't it? seems to be the burden of living in Nor Cali where a lot of farmland a truckers reside
Old 12-14-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm...two years and still not a single chip.

I just dont see a problem, but I know there are some bad roads out there.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by d0tSpLiT
I drive from Sacramento, CA to Fairfield, CA every Weekend (Majority farm Land in between sac and Fairfield.). SO far I got two rock chips and im on my second windshield. It sucks because I believe due to the almost vertical angle the windshield is, there is nothing, not even air flow giving rocks a "cushion" to be on before it hits. I noticed if I drive on the Fast lane, Im more prone to something at least hitting the windshield even if it doesnt chip the windshield reguardless if there is anyone infront of me or not. Best way to fix this???? I dont really know...
Been There. Done That.

I have run that stretch on road many times. It has cost me a windshield.
I know of at least 2 persons who has posted that they have
replaced their windshields 4 times so far! Some are lucky and no replacement.
Take a look at your car. It has a short hood and a tall windshield. It is a
Rock Magnet. If is doen't catch rocks, it will catch bugs if you drive a lot.

As I mention and Recommend on previous posts, your Best Bet is to get a
bug deflector. It will provide a cushion of air that helps. Not bullet proof, but,
better than nothing, IMHO.

A few for mods and I will be Posting pics next year.

The Love Mobile is Coming!

MR LUV
Old 12-16-2007, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default rocks on windshield

I have the same issue. The first week I had mine, I got a crack in the bottom pass. side. Then a few months later one hit right dead top center and put a huge crack in it. I finally broke down and got a new one.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my 06 xB in September of 2006, and got a nasty crack after having it for 16 days! I somehow managed to harass the regional rep into replacing the windshield for free. I kept hammering him the fact that my 1971 Datsun had been hit with so many rocks that it looked like the surface of the moon and still had the original windshield/did they mean to tell me that in 35 years, Toyota couldn't design a better windshield than Nissan? Anyway, a year later and my wife is driving the car and gets nailed with another rock, and this one is worse than the last.
I called anound and this is what I found: Toyota wants $720 for the glass only, and then I have to have someone else install it! Safelite quoted me $215 for glass & install. I got three local glass shops recommended to me and they ranged from $160-175. I'm not sure how cheap to go here... Does anyone have any experience with Safelite? How about the cheaper after market Brands, like PPG and ... well, I can't remember the brand of the other aftermarket brand the cheaper places were selling, but it was the same one, something like "Pinkerton"...
Old 12-27-2007, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ya went up five for Christmas to my parents and got hit with 5 rocks going to and 7 coming back I have one giant crack and about six good size chips all over the place, two were from my buddy in his damn teg with his sticky a$$ tires, but then I did the same to him with mine lol I think I-5 is just bad news for boxes!
Old 12-27-2007, 04:43 AM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I know, Safelite makes their own glass, SGI, and people have said that they are not of quality. The thing with car windshields is not just the strength of the glass, but the curvature of the glass might be an issue with aftermarket windshields. If the curvature is a little off, you will possibly be looking at a leak.

Windshields these days tend to be weaker than the ones of the past because to prevent shattering, some windshields are composed of two thin pieces of glass sandwiching a piece of acrylic. Thus they tend to crack pretty easily. It's also a great way to boost the glass industry.

Pilkington (sp), Sekurit and PPG are actually said to have some pretty good glass. Just make sure the people who installs it know what they are doing.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So many similar stories. I travel I-5 everyday too. I had one truck throw up a puck of asphault and put a big crack/chip in mine but the highway constr. co paid for it. $260 installed from safelite.

Here is what I was told about the quality of glass. All of these brands that are sold through a licensed dealer have to meet specifications for clarity, strength and thickness as well as DOT standards.

The pilkington I had took some hits but chipped. The Safelite I have has one small (like from the pointy end of a pencil size) chip but from the sound I thought it would be much worse. I cleaned the dirt from around it because it looked bigger-but now it's been 2 months with rapidly changing hot-cold weather and it has not changed.

I could see a windshield banner helping the top if it's on the outside but as far as the line of sight I can't see anything that would help.

For the guy who has to apply stickers frequently-is there anyway that you can apply the stickers to some sort of flat thing inside the window and just replace the window without moving it?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The four windshields my box has has were Toyota, Pilkington, Fuyao, PPG.

Worst was Pilkington (fit was poor enough and there were enought flaws in that particular unit that I refused to accept the car back, and the glass was replaced with the Fuyao).

Best was Fuyao, which was thicker, optically better, tougher, and noticibly quieter in the rain than any of the others.

The PPG was OK, the Toyota was very good.

(Fuyao is an OEM glass manufacturer for Toyota products in parts of Asia, including the bB.)

My PPG (current glass) was installed by Safelite, and the installation was better quality than I expected. The glass is fine, has one repaired chip after a year in use.

If I had my choice (and I will next time) I would choose the Fuyao.

Tom
Old 12-27-2007, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

When the time comes to replace my 3.5 year old 35K mile original windshield I'll be giving Safelite a chance. They have installd 3 for me in the past on other vehicles and they do an A-1 job.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like in my earlier post, since insurance was covering mine I insisted on Toyota. I had to wait a few days, but it was worth it.
BTW Tomas, your avatar is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. I'm reading your message and you blinked. I'm like wha....what was that? Too cool.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heheheheh... You'd be amazed how many people aren't sure it really happened.

Tom
Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Hmmm I gotta do mine it looks like the lunar surface
Old 12-28-2007, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Watch for trucks without functioning mud flaps, high performance cars with soft sticky wide tires and vehicles without any tail or over hang beyound the rear tires or tires that stick out past the wheel wells. They all pick up rocks and toss them in the air but it is your forward speed that causes the impact. Got my first hit by a pickup truck changing lanes in front of me too close after passing me - we were the ONLY two vehicles on the two lane road and he was speeding. Had another hit from a fat tired car in the lane to my left as he passed me. I knew a guy that worked for a chemical company that makes a coating they sell to car manufactures which is applied to headlights to make them stronger and more chip resistant but couldn't get any of it.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my first crack after 3 years & it was taking a drive north up to Monterey. There is something about Nor-Cal & cracked windshields. Safelite came out and was able to fill it, but I'm just waiting for the next rock. It's bound ot happend to all of us.
Safelite guys told me Xb's & Honda Pilot's are notorius for windshield cracks.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

650?
thats way high