Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Rostra Cruise Control Cable Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Default Rostra Cruise Control Cable Adjustment

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and this is my first post. I am having issues with my cruise, a Rostra that was installed at the dealer. I have searched these forums and have found a wealth of info on this subject. The first thing I am going to address is the slack in both my throttle and cruise control cables. However, I am having trouble figuring out how exactly to slide the adjustable plastic grommet for the cruise cable out of the bracket that holds it. Of course, the Rostra instructions are not detailed enough, and the posts I have read here have not mentioned how to get that adjuster out. There is a slot on the side of the bracket, but it seems too narrow for the cable itself, and the adjuster doesn't seem to want to come out through it. I don't want to break the thing by trying to force it. Am I missing something obvious? I would appreciate any avice from those of you who have installed or worked on these units.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Default Got it

Never mind, I got things worked out. I also had to adjust my throttle cable slack, so I just slipped the entire cruise cable bracket out of the throttle cable adjuster nut and turned the whole thing, grommet, bracket, and all to adjust my cruise cable slack. As many others have reported, my cruise works great now with no slop.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Are you interested in making the unit more sensative? If so, You can open the lid on the unit and flip the #1 micro switch to the up position to make it react faster when going up hills. Now it only drops 1 or 2 mph before it starts to apply the gas instead of 5 or more.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 AM

Actually, the reason I started looking into things was because my cruise began cutting off during driving about a month ago. We have some rough stretches of interstate around here, and if I hit a seam or a repaired section, it will sometimes knock the cruise off. It's a problem I haven't had until recently. But in trying to search to see if others have had this problem, I found out about the common issues with too much cable slack, along with tips about adjusting the sensitivity in the module. I had probably close to an inch of slack, along with the granny slack in the throttle cable. So I took out the cable slack and adjusted the sensitivity and it runs great now.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

^^^Good news and great to hear!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by foothillsbass
But in trying to search to see if others have had this problem, I found out about the common issues with too much cable slack, along with tips about adjusting the sensitivity in the module. I had probably close to an inch of slack, along with the granny slack in the throttle cable. So I took out the cable slack and adjusted the sensitivity and it runs great now.
I also found the cruise control and throttle cables had a lot of slack after I had the cruise installed. They left about an inch of slack in the cruise cable instead of the few mm's specified in the install instructions. Definitely something everyone should check if their xB has cruise.