Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

the 12 yr old doesn't need a car seat... My 4yr old loves the box
Old 01-27-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a recaro baby seat a mercedes toddler seat and a graco booster seat the euro car seats have narrower frames
you can get 3 "euro" car seats in a xb come to think of it i had this same problem with my 02 camry
Old 01-27-2005, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by superjeer
but, do you think you could fit three seats in the rear seat? I just don't see how.
That's why I'm asking.

The xB has a rear seat hip width of 50.6 inches. I can also find out some car seat info from this Car Seat Data site to make numbers work.

If I could get both of my boys into boosters by the time the new baby comes, I might be able to do it if I get two Britax Starriser booster seats, which have an adjustable width between 13-16 inches. At full extension that would leave 18.6 inches for a rear facing baby seat, and there's several seats that seem to meet that criteria.

However, this doesn't tell me much about how easy it is to lock the belts on the booster, how squished the overall room is, etc. Also, my younger boy may not be ready for a booster yet, so I might need to have a combination of one booster, one forward facing, and one rear facing seat.

I'm hoping to hear from others who have done "three across" to see how the experience was and if there were particular models to recommend for seats.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kaian,

My kids were 6, 4, and 1 when I got the XB. My son had just graduated from the car seat as he was 6.
He always complained about being "smushed" and almost always had one of his sister kicking him from the side. I tried to fit 2 upright carseats with the baby seat in the back at one time, but they all wouldn't fit. There might be a combination that works though. 2 car seats side by side was difficult, but possible.

My kids are now 7, 5, and 2. The XB has been replaced by the Mitsu Outlander ($15900) my son is still "smushed" when we pile into that thing. I can't wait til my daughter is 6.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:04 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After reading these post I have 2 things to say:

Yeah, I don't have kids

I agree with a previous post, I would worry about side impact accidents.

Otherwise I think the xB would be excellent for a family. :D
Old 01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 1sikxb
My only concern is what could happen in a crash. I have yet to see any crash photos, other than minor fender benders. I cant imagine a good hit to the side would not be gnarly. If anyone has any crahed xB photos please post. I too have two small children. I rarely let them ride in the car for that reason. This was posted a while back, http://www.nasva.go.jp/assess/html2002e/as115.html
But did you look at the test results? It's almost at the top of the scale in safety. The doors opened without tools, no fuels leaks, easy rescueability. Front crash ratings - top of the scales...this info was reinforcement to me...
Old 01-27-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm also thinking that three seats won't fit back there.

On the good side, my 4 y/o loves our news xB, mostly b/c he'll sit in the read middle and can now see everything! He loves it.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Shout out to xB Owners with Children

Originally Posted by mjmets
Shout out to all Parents who own an xB ...

I have two small children (4 and 18 months) and another on the way. Our main car for the kids is a minivan. Decided on an xB for 2nd car because of its roominess, gas mileage, standard features, and price. My 4 year old also loved the interior lights and changing colors on the 6-CD. I am confident that I can fit two car seats plus a booster if needed. I'm still waiting for the RS1 to be delivered in the next week or so.

What do other parents with an xB think about the car? Any positives, negatives, concerns, etc.

Thanks,

Mike
its the bomb diggity ...thats all i have to say....