Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Since all dealers have the same pricing...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Since all dealers have the same pricing...

Since all dealers have the same price for a given Scion, what made you buy from a particular dealer? I bought mine from Kern's Toyota in Winchester Virginia, but I bought a leftover 2004 they sold to me as used, so they were willing to deal quite a bit. Do any dealers really have anything over other dealers?

just curious~

OMAC
Old 11-30-2004, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not all dealers have the same price. Now dealers in the same area have the same price. There are market adjustments from one region to another. The market adjustment is normally only a couple hundred dollars.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mine was kind of a process of elimination. Even tho it's closest to me, I refuse to do any more business with Dublin Toyota. They screwed me once and I won't give them a chance to do it again. It's about attitude. So I basically just picked the next closet dealer to my house, sort of. It is a pain to get to Fremont from Livermore so the one time I had to take it in for service, I went to Walnut Creek since i was working in our office there for a week. There are so many dealers around here, I'm not sure if that helps things or not... Maybe in smaller markets where it may be just a couple dealers competing it may be different
Old 11-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Banned
SL Member

High Trade-In-Value at CarMax-Laurel, MD. The trade in value on my old car was more than what I owed. Before I went there, I went to Antwerpen Toyota/Scion. The Scion salesman was/is Sam. Great sales person. But for trade in's, I had to talk to a regular Toyota used car sales person. That person didnt even appraised the car. Just told me to go to KBB.com and press the "good" condition radio button and submit to obtain a value. That ____ed me off!

I immediately left Antwerpen and vowed to never go to there again and head straight to CarMax. Went there to get a trade-in. They appraised it with no questions asked. Make sure you dont tell them you are buying a car but only want it appraised. It took about an hour. Trade in value was higher than the "good" rating on KBB than Antwerpen Toyota (not Scion) was trying to push on me. Left CarMax, went home to get a check for the deposit on the xB, and headed back to CarMax. Last time I checked CarMax had 25xBs ready to be sold. They sell a lot of cars thus the big allocation.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I was in the market for a new box I emailed all the dealers in my area from the scion website. I got replyes from 4 of the 7 dealers here in Phoenix, and was suprised at the price difference whenit came to the cost of instalation of parts. Although the part was the same caost (ie springs 189.00) the cost of the instalation was anywhere from $395.00 to $750.00. I don't know about the area that you live in but here in Phoenix and the surrounding areas the tax rate can differ by as much as 1.5%. So the best thing that you can do is research the hell out of what you want, do your homework as far a options go, and be willing to haggel when it comes to the costs of installed parts. Hope this will help someone!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member

What dealership did you end up using, xBling?

Have they been ok with service?

I'm working on getting my xB by the end of the month or the first of the year, and I was curious as to the different Scion dealers in the area.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2004, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

At the time I bought my Polar Wht. xB no other dealers had any in stock. In fact, I couldn't find any dealer with a wht. xB. Just so happens I drove by South Bay Toyota (An hour away from my home) and saw one sitting in the rear. The car had just come in and they were adding options to it. I bought it as they were preparing it. I got a free 6 disc changer, rear sproiler, and mats as they failed to update the invoice as it was sitting there.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess experiences at Carmax vary. They wanted to give me about $3000 less than what KBB said my car was worth as a trade-in. And back when I got rid of my Celica, their offer was around $12,000, but I got $14,400 for it from a traditional dealer.

I ended up just buying my xB there. Not because I wanted to, they were the only ones who had a BOP 5-spd in stock. I guess that is to be expected since they have such a high stock all the time.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Since all dealers have the same pricing...

Originally Posted by OMAC
Since all dealers have the same price for a given Scion, what made you buy from a particular dealer? I bought mine from Kern's Toyota in Winchester Virginia, but I bought a leftover 2004 they sold to me as used, so they were willing to deal quite a bit. Do any dealers really have anything over other dealers?

just curious~

OMAC
It was either drive 3 miles to my local toyota dealer or 30 to the non-local dealer. I didn't feel like driving 30 miles each way to get warranty work done or whatever I may need.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:47 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I choose one the closest two dealers. I'm glad I chose the one I did.

They were helpful and really like being Scion reps.

The service department is great too.

So any one in N.W. IL, I would recommend Schaumburg Scion.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of the three closest Toyota dealers:

#1 evidently didn't sign up for the Scion program. There was no Scion anything anywhere. And there were so many ____ed people waiting in the showroom it looked like an air terminal after a a bunch of cancelled flights.

#2 has stupid commercials with a badly animated superhero, plus they insist on sticking a sheriff star with their name on it on the back of every car (at least they don't rivet them anymore). They also had only two xBs on the lot and didn't know when they'd get more, but would I be interested in an xA instead? How about a Corolla or a Tundra?

#3 had a big inventory -- 3 or 4 of every color/tranny combination -- and they weren't total dicks. That was good enough for me.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default dealer selection

I knew they wouldnt haggle with pricing, so I asked them what will they give me to buy from them as opposed to the place down the street. I ended up with the following bennies...

1. Free detail inside and out when I want it.
2. As long as I service my xB with them, I get free replacement tires as long as I have the car.
3. Free armrest, I pay the install.
4. 3 years of free oil changes.

They definetly wanted the business from me. The others either wouldnt throw in any freebies or were jerks.

M.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow thats a nice deal.

The first dealer i was going to buy one from insisted on putting a decal on the back of it. They gave me such ____ about it. Why do people deal with that? Im not buying a new car to advertise for your dealership.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I chose my dealer (David Maus Scion in Longwood, FL) because they were the only dealer out of the 7 or so that I called that weren't pushy and allowed me to buy what I wanted. Actually, I didn't even call them, I talked to a salesman on the internet and made my appointment to buy the xB that way. So yeah.. I chose a dealer 4 hours away from me.. but it was very worth it, as they treated me well and didn't try to make me buy something I didn't want.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Since all dealers have the same pricing...

Originally Posted by OMAC
Since all dealers have the same price for a given Scion,
Not really true:

They are allowed to set any price they like, but they cannot change it for an individual customer.

Junk fees vary from none to hundreds of dollars. Some dealers are not very forthcoming about these and try to sneak them into the paperwork.

If you have a trade, the amount they are willing to pay for it varies.

In my case, no trade, so it came down to which dealer didn't charge junk fees.

George
Old 11-30-2004, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I chose the dealer I went with because of 3 things:

The sales staff was nice, accomodating and not pushy.

They had the lowest labor costs out of the dealers I looked at

The dealership offers free oil changes for life
Old 11-30-2004, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member

The dealer closest to my house treated me like crap and didn't have what I wanted in stock. SF Scion treated me well, knew the cars, and had what looked like every color/transmission combination available so I bought from them. Pretty easy choice, really. The only downside was having to take mass transit to get there to pick it up.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My closest dealer seemed pretty intent on pressuring me to move quickly to a sale. Plus, on another day that I just wandered around without supervision, I checked out the service area and it seemed messy, dirty and disorganized. I decided that I'd be uncomfortable leaving my box there for service, even the regular oil changes and stuff.

I wound up going almost 40 miles out to another dealer. First, the fact that in that town I see lots and lots of Scions on the road tells me that the car is popular out there and the dealer has lots of experience with them. Second, when I mentioned my experience with the service area of the other dealer this dealer told me something about Toyota 'master mechanics', (sorry - he used a title that I can't recall exactly, but the gist was that every Toyota dealer is supposed to have one of these top level mechanics on staff.) This dealer is the only one in the Detroit area with TWO of them. (so he says...yes, I take everything with a grain of salt).

Anyway, all around I was very pleased with my experience at this dealer and everyone I met was very professional and efficient and knowlegable. I felt no undue sales pressure and felt that this dealership is well-established and competent.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Old Punk
Of the three closest Toyota dealers:

#1 evidently didn't sign up for the Scion program. There was no Scion anything anywhere. And there were so many ____ed people waiting in the showroom it looked like an air terminal after a a bunch of cancelled flights.

#2 has stupid commercials with a badly animated superhero, plus they insist on sticking a sheriff star with their name on it on the back of every car (at least they don't rivet them anymore). They also had only two xBs on the lot and didn't know when they'd get more, but would I be interested in an xA instead? How about a Corolla or a Tundra?

#3 had a big inventory -- 3 or 4 of every color/tranny combination -- and they weren't total dicks. That was good enough for me.
LOL that is why I went to Gastonia