First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

so long Mazda3...Hello XB!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ok, here is the list of what went wrong

Here is what some of you wanted to know (and I will not use """ to make Max2k happy...lol - no hard feelings Max)

Rattles, noises, pops, creaks and cracks with.....

Dashboard, door panels, all 4 door windows, passenger seat when empty, rear seat, rear hatch, rear cargo management system, sunroof glass, sunroof sunshade, headliner , 3rd brake light assembly, clutch arm and more

Mechanically and some of these repeatedly ....

Replaced all rear brakes, replaced front brake calipers, replaced rear shocks and springs, replaced clutch switch, replaced entire hydraulic system on clutch, transmission clunking, replaced window regulators, replaced drive shaft bolts that just simply fell off and almost stranded the car- dealer had no excuse on this one, auto-down window worked only when it felt like it in Summer heat, front suspension clunking, front left hub assembly ringing, power steering problems and i just remembered this one... most of the duct system for the HVAC completely loose hanging on the steering shaft, and more groans from other places.

Some rare times the dealers were helpful , other times they told me to live with it or just turn the radio up cause they could not fix it (saying it was normal on some of the items listed above) or would not...I dont know. Most of the noises listed were never cured or the dealer gave up. Mazda 1-800 customer service was rude. I am exhausted now and just want to forget about the whole hellish ordeal.

But the one thing: It did drive awesome when it was on the highway. It really did.

There is your list. Is that enough? It was for me.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, just so you know and don't get the feeling the same is happening with your xB:

Some people have had a "rattling" around 2500-3500 RPMs coming from the speedometer area. There was a TSB issued by Toyota/Scion to correct the problem by lining the speedometer ring with felt.
It's was talked about here in early '04, so they may have corrected the problem at the factory.

That's it. Other than that it's rated the most reliable small car and there are no known problems, after having been built for like 5 years
Old 01-26-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
It's another change Scion is driving, alongside Pure Pricing. Give the customer what they want at a price that's clearly stated.
I was really surprised at how few cars I had to add a lot of options to to get where I wanted when I was car shopping earlier this month. Only the Mazda3 and Kias came with zilch and required a lot of stuff thrown on top. Toyotas, Subarus, even Fords all come with just about everything you want. I didn't consider any real options for any car I was considering.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is so awesome to hear! :D
Old 01-27-2005, 09:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by empleh
well, what i tell customers is that the mazda 3 is engineered by mazda...so it is a good car in that sense....but it's built by ford. that is pretty much all i have to say
No. Actually it's not built by Ford.

I wish people would let go of that.

It's not a f-cking Ford, people. Get it through your heads.

The platform was co-engineered by Mazda, Ford and Volvo.

It is built BY MAZDA in JAPAN, for the 9,334,454th time.

Say what you will about the Mazda 3 but it is an infinitely more capable chassis than the silly Echo underpinnings with prehistoric torsion beam rear suspension we are pimping.

The 3 is easily the best handling small car you can get for under $20k, the fit and finish are superb.

This guy got a lemon, that's all. These are excellent cars. If I did not insist on the utility and space offered by the xB I might be driving a Mazda3 myself.

/rant
Old 01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i'd definately rock a mazda3i if they stayed near the 15k starting price. i figured thru building it online i'd be leavin the dealership at over 18k.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You get what you pay for.

I love how people here _____ that the Scions aren't available with HID's, engine options and navigation and features you NEVER get in economy cars---- then when someone makes an economy car with all of that and more available, they complain because it doesn't all come for free at the $15k base price.

Come on.

The Mazda3 is an excellent value for what you get and it's a superbly well engineered little sedan. Closer to a "poor mans BMW" than any VW Jetta ever was.

Anyone who's driven them and looked at them closely ought to know that.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default well,

It has been interesting what everyone has said on here.

But unfortunately, I have to disagree with Nest "and" agree with him at the same time.

You see, I felt the same exact way he does now before I bought that 3. I also felt it was "superbly well-engineered, fit and finish are superb, handling is the best for under 20k". I absolutely agreed with what he said.

But,,,

there is a saying that goes (and forgive me for the quotations) "You do not really know someone until you live with them". Nest has not lived with a Mazda3, I have. And it was, without a doubt, one of the most miserable experiences.

I am not the only one. Yes, it has recommendations and awards by magazines (although I never filled out any surveys on it ), but through my own very intense research over the past few months talking with other owners(many who did not fill out surveys either), I am not the only one who has suffered. Yes, there have been some that were ok with a 3, but there is a high number who are not ok. It can happen to any auto make, but it really seems to be happening at Mazda. The 6, RX-8 and MPV all have very well documented issues as well from many owners. And my Mazda dealers did tell me, that even though it is built by Mazda in Japan, there are many Ford parts on that 3.

It all comes down to quality control, Monday and Friday cars, and other things I guess. And I do understand his words, but I hope he understands mine as well. Its funny, when you do a search in my area, I have counted over 30 used Mazda3's on used car lots for sale. They are not rentals either (I checked). I only counted 1 Scion. And they both came out at the same time.

Peace