Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

The Speedometer in the center of the dash...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member

Default The Speedometer in the center of the dash...

Now, I have to ask. I've never really liked that. I'm so accustomed to the speedo being right behind the steering wheel that it's difficult for me to look over to the center of the dash to check my speed.

So, for those xA owners out there(or any other brand/model with this feature), how long did it take you to get used to it? Do you like it as much as before, or do you still prefer the old way of doing things, but just put up with this new way because it's a good car?

At this stage in the game, it's one of the biggest things stopping me from knowing 100% for sure that I want an xA. I honestly don't know if I can get used to it.

???
Old 02-01-2005, 08:53 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its the same on an xB. It took me almost no time to adjust. Your eye is naturally there looking at the road. Even on the test drive, it didn't bother me. I like it better in the center of the dash.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

It took a little while in the Echo. mainly the occasional "Oh Crapzors, the dash lights went out... Oh wait, never mind" It's just a habit to look behind the wheel because that's how you were trained. the center dash location is actually more ergonomic - requires less head turning motion to view - and safety - less time when your eyes aren't on the road.

You'll get used to it in no time at all...
Old 02-01-2005, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member

I adjusted almost immediately. They painted the faces of the speedo and tach different colors. This makes it easy for the eye to quickly locate what you are looking for. The part I like best is night driving. With a primarily black dash in front of you, it is very easy on the eyes.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:39 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I've loved it ever since my Echo. It was one of the main reasons I got the xA. It's too bad that the tC didn't come that way I woulda gotten one of them
Old 02-01-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i like it not bein right behind the steering wheel...it took almost no time to adjust to it...i think it makes it easier to see at night because you dont have light shinin right up at you
Old 02-01-2005, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what I just noticed this
I got used to it on the way out of the scion lot.................
Old 02-01-2005, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a former XB owner - I always took it as part of the vehicle style. Once around the block and I was use to it.

I will say it was more natural to look behind the wheel for the gages in my Mazda van. Almost like a driving gene that's been passed down from generation to generation that makes it slightly more comfortable to look through the wheel.

Cumbersome? Irritating? not at all. Just different. But when I would go back to standard gage placement, I would feel just a tad more relaxed.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I've been driving for 44 years and am very used to having the speedo behind the wheel.

How long did it take me to get used to the top-center of the dash location of the speedo in my xB? About the first half of my 4 mile test drive...

Let's put it this way, if moving the speedo to the right and up from where you are used to seeing one is something so disturbing you can't get used to it, you lack the attention span needed to drive safely - take a bus...

Trust us, having slight layout changes in the cockpit happens every time one moves from one car to another, and is even more noticible if one is used to piloting small planes - every one seems to have a totally different layout - nothing is common.

It actually does worry me that there are folks out there driving who can't handle minor control and instrumentation changes. How can they possibly handle the constant changes in what's happening outside their vehicle?

A decent, competent driver should have no problem at all with the different position of the speedo - even my 79 year old mum can find it...

Take care, all,
Tom
Old 02-01-2005, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It took me like 5 minutes.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I adjusted almost immediately. Putting the speedo in the middle leaves lots of room for the "bookshelf" in front of the steering wheel. The first drive at night was a bit strange with no illumination in front of the wheel, but that was a quick adaptation too.

Think of those folks with old Jeeps that have the speedo on the panel ahead of the stick shift!

George
Old 02-02-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone bothered by the xA and xB speedometer would have had fits if he tried to drive an old CJ Jeep. To use that speedometer really took the eyes off the road.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:16 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

took me about a day or two i love it makes the dash look less cluttered and clean looking
Old 02-02-2005, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The centered dash is very convienient because now I can tape driving directions infront of the wheel.

Am I the only one that does this?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

First car I drove was a Mini (1967 Cooper s). Speedo in center of dash.
Not so tough to adjust to...who looks at the speedo, anyway?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jessman360
The centered dash is very convienient because now I can tape driving directions infront of the wheel.

Am I the only one that does this?
maybe, but it is a really good idea nonetheless

It's really easy to get use to the center speedo, and in my opinion works so much better there since you can notice things faster like a check engine light, parking brake, and other notices.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member

I was kind of worried about it at first, but after the first day it just seemed natural.

Now I just have to get low to how long the rearview mirror hangs. I'm only 5'10", but sometimes I find myself trying to move my head a bit to see around it.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

However, The center dash speedometer allows right seat passengers to see the speed. With some passenger side drivers this is a problem. Also nervous passengers might need blinders.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

lol yeah it's funny when the rear seaters actually KNOW what speed yer going versus just guessing sometimes u get hoorays and sometimes u get sneers or an occasional scream or slap on the back of the head.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The center speedo bothered me a lot until I actually got in the xA. It didn't take any time to adjust though. It was fine from the get go. It took me longer to adjust to the windshield wiper controls and light switch. Come on Toyota, for windshield wipers, up means on, not down! And the pull and twist light switch you find on american cars is by far the best method.

Actually, the center speedo is nice because the speedo is never blocked. In my wife's Integra, I have to scrunch to see how fast I'm going. My dad's Lexus wheel blocks the clock. I'm fine with it.

Quick Reply: The Speedometer in the center of the dash...