Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

split rear hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would be nice if just the rear window was automatic and you could just roll it up or down. Probably alot easier than splitting the hatch to.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i think it'd be a waste. but ketting the rear window to hinge up wouldnt be too hard. alot easier than the roll down 4runner style alot of other people want.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
(Monster Garage stuff doesn't have to last for 100,000 miles in real use...A lot of their stuff also just looks good from one angle, and that only until it breaks from normal use.)
That's for sure. same with that Pimp My Ride stuff. Picture rusted out rockers repaired by stuffing the hole behind with newspaper and then applying a thick layer of Bondo, then sanding and painting. That's what they did with a VW bus that was later sold to a member of the VW bus list. Large chunks of nicely painted bondo had already fallen off and the bus had only been driven a couple of thousand miles.

George
Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I think I've seen a bB made to look like a milk truck. It had a split rear door setup...anyone remember that?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Howsabout doing some mods that are worth while first. Shave the doors, shave the hatch. Suicide doors. Any if em' are awesome, and a good place to start for those who have not done major vehicle modification. This aint no bolt on body kit.

That being said please spare the comments about how mods being worth while is a matter of opinion, or how you are the best modifier in the tri-county area. That's all good, and I understand, just putting that out there. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't even own an xb but before I get mine im planning my mods in my head. What I wanted to try and do at the shop one weekend was to try and install the 4runner automatic motors in the rear hatch so the glass would slide up and down, that would be tight to show the system off :-D. Anyone like this idea?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

there is no way a 4 runner setup will work
the rear glass is surface mounted........ it does not have a channel. let alone it's too wide to be able to go down. the glass is as wide as the outermost edges of the hatch........the glass would need to be 4 or 5 inshes narrower and it wouldnt be able to slide down all the way only about half way. the glass will still be poking up. go look at an xb and open up the hatch it's pretty much impossible using a stock or even modified hatch. if you really want to do it you will need a completely redesigned hatch and custom cut glass.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you got the funds nothing is impossible..by the way the 4runner set up was mentioned 5-7 post up
Old 10-25-2005, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i know it was mentioned which is why i posted about it. it'd cost over 3 or 4 grand is my educated guess. but hey if you wanna throw your money away go ahead. u will have a very unique alltho costly mod.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This mod is officially Wesy Coast Customs rediculous. Bing!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

indeed. lol
Old 10-26-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not really, west coast customs is just straight ricey. 4runner windows is more subtle if done to where it looks oem, nobody will ever know it's there 'till you roll it down. how bout doing it to cf hatch(not a fan, but can always be painted) with just a regular window motor? and mike, dude come on, west coast customs? i saw your hardbody nissan with blue camo paintjob with a ball hinge and what looks like escalade wheels now that's either country or wcc style
Old 10-26-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

dude. it is no where near feasible with any hatch designed for an xb.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think it's called "MODIFICATION" for a reason. like you said it'll cost a grip but never say it's not feasible...i personally don't have the funds to do this but for the sake of arguement i'll say keep the hatch, create a slot for glass to slide in(move it in about .5") and order a custom fit glass
Old 10-26-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

what you guys dont understand is that you dont really need funds for anything but another hatch and glass incase you f up....all you need is the will power, i have it, im just stumped as how to do it, that is all you need...

oh and the roll down rear window would be awesome for at shows, but on the streets it is a horrible idea because all the fumes from the exaust come right inside the car when your driving, i know from experience, once broke my rear window, then had to take it to a place to get a new one installed, i didnt even want to drive it after the glass was installed dbecause you could still smell it, it was horrible
Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by khaye
not really, west coast customs is just straight ricey. 4runner windows is more subtle if done to where it looks oem, nobody will ever know it's there 'till you roll it down. how bout doing it to cf hatch(not a fan, but can always be painted) with just a regular window motor? and mike, dude come on, west coast customs? i saw your hardbody nissan with blue camo paintjob with a ball hinge and what looks like escalade wheels now that's either country or wcc style
All right juinor, I'm gonna break this down for ya real quick. Don't talk about my truck, cause a chances are you have no grounds to talk "Captain bolt-on". That being said go attack someone else. And I'm from Nor Cal, got it pal?!

Although you are not someone who I need to explain myself to, by West Coast Customs, I meant wild, and intense amounts of work for a "different" mod. And the pic you saw is photoshop. Now what is a ball hing?! The blue camo got mad props by tons of mini truckers (but you would'nt know nuthin' bout all that). And finally because you are so ignorant you would'nt know how difficult it is to find rims that tuck on a bagged truck.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89771

The irony.

First off, I'm not replying to defend anybody. I'm just gonna point out that your condescending attitude isn't helping the community in any shape or form. So before you get off calling me out for trying to be a wannabe mod, or backing someone up I've never even met, slow down. I'm just here to deflate that ego of yours, and go back to enjoying the boards.

I'm not even gonna speak on your bolt on sig, and your captain bolt on comment. I'll let that link do all the talking.

What I really wanted was to make sure you knew that the nonsense you've been posting lacks any credibility whatsoever. You've got the nerve to talk down people who use bolt on parts(which is MOST of this board), yet you want to buy a spoiler that attaches with double sided tape. Someone calls you out on a "photoshop"of yours that boasts of your hypocrisy, and you mark it off as highly acclaimed by "tasteful" critics. On top of that you go and clown on people for wanting to have a subtle window mod, saying it's on some WCC crack, while you yourself proudly post your camouflage nissan, or whatever it is, as if it's some underrated work of art.

If you want to chime in and give some constructive criticism, sure go on. Though It's not a bright idea to be telling people how they should live their lives, because that's not even close to criticism. Trust me, you sound like a Jehova's witness. I think I speak for all of us, when we suggest you quit worrying about how the next person lives his or her life, and most of all grow up.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by khaye
i think it's called "MODIFICATION" for a reason. like you said it'll cost a grip but never say it's not feasible...i personally don't have the funds to do this but for the sake of arguement i'll say keep the hatch, create a slot for glass to slide in(move it in about .5") and order a custom fit glass
i understand modification. really i do. trust this. i also know custom. and this mod is not possible with a stock hatch. at all. no matter how you modifyit. unless you cut the window smaller which isnt a big deal but.... the lower portion of the hatch doesnt have enough room for the glass to slide down into. meaning your slick and very expensive sliding window cant even slide all the way down.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

and hey mike c who's mom's and dad's are buying their bratty kids stuff? i dont mind bolt on's at all. i use alot of them as well as alot of modified parts.... but.... anyone who's parents buy them stuff. now that is a shame....

i think everyone should relax a bit.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

OK heres the thing the whole rolling the rear window down thing.....extremely bad idea. I drove for about 10 miles without my glass on the car when going to get it put back into my carbon hatch, and with that window down and the aerodynamics or lack there of on our cars all of your exhaust is sucked right into the vehicle. and I kid you not within 10 minutes I had a massive headache.

dont get me wrong I wanted to do it myself before but after that not me. if i am spending that kind of money and time on a mod, damnit I want to enjoy it..... just my $.02

Quick Reply: split rear hatch?