Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Static Shock

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default Static Shock

I was wondering is this normal with the XB (06)
Every time Myself or kids get out of the car it gives one hell of a shock to the point where it isnt funny anymore...
Ideas on a cure or reason it is happening,Thank you ahead
Old 10-26-2006, 09:10 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This is a common thing in a cooler, dryer climate. It is less common in more tropical zones as static electricity does not build up as easily. The problem arises when you build up a charge via the rubbing of clothing, interaction with fabric seats, body movement, etc., and then touch an object (usually the exterior of the car) that is connected to an electrical ground. ZAP!! Static discharge! You could try touching parts that are more insulated than others, such as door handles, glass, etc.. You could also try touching some sort of metal location (i.e. seat bolts, the firewall, just above the carpet) inside the car prior to getting out and see if it will discharge the static electricity with less intensity than when you exit the vehicle. Static electricity is always going to build and then discharge to the shortest path to ground, which, unfortunately for you, just happens to be your hand on the door when you exit the car.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lmao, that time of year again. your going to be shocked all winter long, maybe try some seat covers, they help'd in my case. good luck & enjoy the look on peoples faces when they get pop'd, lol, i know i did
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

dishwashing gloves might work too havent been cold enough for the shock to hit here, thank goodness...
Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

This happens to me all the time but then again I'm in Phoenix where its pretty dry...... so now I use the back of my hand to touch my car when I get out or I touch some of the metal while getting out so I don't get shocked.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:44 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

it happens with pretty much all cars during the dry winter season.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

This has sort of been happening to me for the past year in our xBs. When I'm out delivering newspapers, I go to put my key into the coin operated newspaper box and I snap myself. However, I never notice this issue while driving during the day, doing normal things. Must be God sending me a sign that I shouldn't deliver newspapers in my precious lovey xBs.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The North wind brings this type of action---or Santa Ana's in Socal...............
Old 10-27-2006, 05:04 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93713
Old 10-27-2006, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Same time of year last year...........
Old 10-27-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This sounds kind of strange, but here is an idea. When I used to wear my DC shoes all of the time, I would get shocked every time, and other passengers wouldnt. I started having to wear my steel-toes for work (which have a sole that keeps me safe from being electrocuted) it doesnt happen anymore. So now just buy yourself, and your family some steel-toes!!!

Dustin
Old 10-27-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I did a quick search and found some good information and ideas. When you are getting out of the seat put your hand on something metal in the car like the screw in the gottom of the door handle, door frame, b-pillar, or somewhere that will ground you as you get up and take the charge with you. The other idea was to use your keys to touch the car after you get out if you didn't already ground yourself. You will not feel the shock if the voltage jumps from the tip of the keys to the car instead of your skin.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ..I remember that SHOCK...

It has been a long time since I was shocked. The solution is not that metal helmit or fancy gloves, The solution is a ground wire network that expells all the negitive energy into your battery's negative terminal.

9 Wires, no shocks. I got these from E-Bay, two sets combined, look for a metal battery terminal connector and a metal plate or else you will get aluminum.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

According to the science behind the reason for getting shocked a grounding kit will have no effect. The problem isn't the potential between the battery and the rest of the car, it's the potential between you and the car. When you get out of the seat you carry a charge with you. You are in effect a capacitor. When you touch something that can ground you, you discharge.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tomas posted the link to another thread about this.

It's not just the xB, or Scions, or Toyotas, or Japanese cars.

We get shocks from the xB, the Maxima, the Civic (current cars), the Caravan, the Previa and one of the Tercels.
It probably is just cars with cloth seats, though. Our cars that had vinyl seats didn't shock us. We don't get cars with leather seats.

Develop the habit of keeping your hand on the metal frame as soon as you open the door, and before you start sliding your butt on the seat, and you'll stop getting shocked.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member

I felt real dumb for asking about that but thank you guys..I have tought my kids a few new words this last month..lol Thanks for the time..
Old 10-27-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got shocked so bad today i swung my hand and threw my keys across the yard.

i get shocked when i insert the key to turn the ignition too
Old 10-28-2006, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IaMVinhamese
i got shocked so bad today i swung my hand and threw my keys across the yard.
I know it's late when I'm laughing crazy hard when I picture that! Sorry but's that's too funny
I've been shocked before but never that bad!
Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is my method of preventing the shock. Well, the static electricity still gets generated by you sliding agains the seat when you get out, but it never has a chance of building up to cause a shock.

Static discharge hurts because it is a miniature bolt of lightning between your body and some metal object.

The way to prevent this and to continously dissapate the electricity as it is being generated is to find some metal part on the door of your car and hang on to it the entire time of your exiting the car. It sounds more difficult than it actually is. If you have a metal door handle, it is quite easy to hang onto it until you fully exit the car and step on the ground.

This is a bit of a problem in xB as the interior of the door (and even the outside handle) are all plastic. I'm thinking of wiring some small metal thing to the door sheet metal and leave one end on the door panel (so I can touch that piece as I exit).

Once you follow my advice - no more shocks while exiting the car.

My mother's 85 Cutlass Supreme had velour seats and they generated such nasty shocks that it made me look for a way to stop getting shocked.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:27 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its bad in most cars this time of year. I make sure to have my shoulder or forearm hit the door first. It hurts less because its not as sensitive as the hand.

Grounding kit wont help.

Quick Reply: Static Shock