First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

To steelie or NOT steelie

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by typhoonorchid
Well then, anyone would would roll on Slipsteams doesn't have enough money for Spoons. Anyone who rolls on C8s doesn't have enough money for Mugens.
Not exactly. I had C8's on my hatch. Could of bought Mugen or Spoon wheels. Went with Rota's because they are good quality and light on the wallet.

At least steelies aren't knockoffs!
What is there to copy? It's a steel heavy a$$ wheel that anyone into performance would not roll on. Unless funds are tight for aftermarket wheels.

And ever hear of the concept of a sleeper.
Yeah, an 18 sec. car with steelies :?

After looking at your Accord I see exactly why you like to roll steelies on an xB
Old 10-06-2004, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not exactly. I had C8's on my hatch. Could of bought Mugen or Spoon wheels. Went with Rota's because they are good quality and light on the wallet.
That's exactly my point. You say anybody on steelies can't afford anything better. I rest my case.

And I never said it was a performance thing, I said "personal style"

And I'm not talkin about the Box being a sleeper,
I'm saying: someone challenging an Accord in stock steelies, (with a boosted h22a under the hood) is in for a surprise! Because there are a lot people like you, who assume if that, if the driver has any money he's going to put it into his wheels first, not under the hood.

It's an additional 36 pounds total, of sprung weight. It aint that big a weight difference.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[/img]

I thinks it's a good. and ____, When your crusing at speed, all people can tell is that youir wheels are black.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Soon2BxB
would someone like to tell me where you can get those beauty rings .. i cant seem to find them here anywhere.. not even pepboys
I got mine from autozone.....
Old 10-06-2004, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's exactly my point. You say anybody on steelies can't afford anything better. I rest my case.
No! What I am saying anyone would choose racing wheels over steelies any day.

And I never said it was a performance thing, I said "personal style"
That's fine if you like steelies, I don't. I believe the initial question of the thread was "to steelie or not".

And I'm not talkin about the Box being a sleeper,I'm saying: someone challenging an Accord in stock steelies, (with a boosted h22a under the hood) is in for a surprise!
With altezza tail lights

Because there are a lot people like you, who assume if that, if the driver has any money he's going to put it into his wheels first, not under the hood.
Your typical ricer thinks that way. My Rota's and Tein's came the GSR motor.

It's an additional 36 pounds total, of sprung weight. It aint that big a weight difference.
WRONG! In the performance world where every tenth of a second is critical wheel weight is a BIG factor. $hit, I was going to go with ITR 5 lug until I found out that the extra weight slows you down. Not to mention the lack of wheels available, thieves....

Looking at your xB........I would guess that you don't like the hubcaps and can not afford aftermarket wheels.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats 9Lbs on each corner. Adding 36 Lbs for the car to move, is like taking almost 2 hp away. In the wheel world, llighter is better. Lots of reasons. Mostly because of the idea of rotating mass. It is said for every 1Lb droped from the wheel, is like taking 3-10Lbs off the car (Depends on many factors, some that can not be done in a scion.) So by adding 9Lbs to each corner its like you added 9-90Lbs to the car. . Now I might have read that wrong & you are saying that the new set up will weigh 36Lbs on each corner. In that case you have lost 1Lb per corner for a savings of 1-10Lbs.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Geez guys! Settle down...

I personally like the looks of those beauty rings... It does look like 15" black rims!

And I do know people who can easily afford rims who rock steelies...

I have 18's myself, but if they ever got stolen, and I was back to my old tires, I would NOT put those ugly scion hubcaps on. It would be steelies until I save up for rims again.

Peace!

-THE DON
Old 10-06-2004, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking at your xB........I would guess that you don't like the hubcaps and can not afford aftermarket wheels.
Yeah, I don't like the hubcaps. As for my net worth. You have no idea.
Hell, I bought this car with the change in my ashtray. My accord too.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member

I can vouch against the claim that if you are rolling steelies, you can't afford billion dollar rims...

I can afford any wheel (or 4 for that matter) on the market but choose not to because:

1. I'm not trying to impress anyone

2. I'm not racing so performance and weight is not an issue

3. It looks kinda neat (just like manejounxa's ride).

4. Look at the money you could be spending on more important things in life. I mean really, if I was to have put all the money I put into previous cars and put it into an IRA or other investment account, I wouldn't be working right now.

Personal choice...ain't it great?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ideally. It would be cool if someone made alloys that are powdercoated and made to look exactly like steelies, but only 60% of the weight.

That would be my first preference. But I haven't seen it yet.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member

you guys just gave me some ideas which I'll try this weekend and post pics.

currently, I'm wearing hubs with the steelies underneath painted to match the car (BCP). I'm going to de-hub it and put on the beauty rings with chrome nuts and keep the matching car color on the wheels...

That might look pretty classy.

Now if there where the baby-moons that would stay on, that would be totally kewl but there is no grip-lip on the scion steelies.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't mind steelies... Just watch out for some these comments from friends, family and especially FEMALES:

1. Did someone steal your hubcaps?

2. I didn't know those cars came with 4 spare tires

3. No wonder those cars are so cheap, they don't even come with hubcaps!

4. That must be the base model

Last but not least

5. So when do you get your rims!

:D

-THE DON
Old 10-06-2004, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

I'm lucky I don't hang around people who ask those questions...but in my younger days, that might have been an issue.

The questions I get these days are:

1. You traded in your Caddy for THAT?....are you nuts?

2. Who did your pool?

3. What size bass do you have in your lake?...can I fish in it?

I gotta say that my dad laughed his ___ off when he watched me pull one of my hubs off with one hand and no effort. But to my surprise, he liked both our XA and XB. It takes quite a lot to impress him.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm all about the steelies. With a beauty ring, its a nice cheap way to dress up your wheels. much nicer than the wheel covers, which IMO look kinda girly.

Anyway, its almost winter, i'm not going to spend $1000 + on wheels to get them all crapped up.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionXaBb
I'm lucky I don't hang around people who ask those questions...but in my younger days, that might have been an issue.

The questions I get these days are:

1. You traded in your Caddy for THAT?....are you nuts?

2. Who did your pool?

3. What size bass do you have in your lake?...can I fish in it?

I gotta say that my dad laughed his ___ off when he watched me pull one of my hubs off with one hand and no effort. But to my surprise, he liked both our XA and XB. It takes quite a lot to impress him.
OK, Thurston Howell. Doesn't anybody ask you about your hedge fund?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member

Ouch man! heh heh...not even close to the Thurston Howell thing I'm afraid...just married a smart wife who broke me of some expensive habits.

My most recent financial disaster was a 78 Thunderbird that was going to be a mean machine....well, about 6 or 7 grand within 6 months later, I had to sell her and could only get about 3,000. It looked and ran great but was eating me alive. And the wife said it was an embarrasing red-neck mobile.

That was a lesson learned about automobiles for the last time. The wife said "knock it off" and now all of a sudden, I got a lot of money in the bank. I wish I would have met her a long time ago.

So, needless to say, the steelies don't look too bad after all!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

i think its cool if you want to run with steel wheels. who cares what tha rest think. put baby moons on them an be cool. you can find them in street rodder mag.,look at what tha rodders are doing with wheels,big wheels and rubber are a waste of money,if you dont waste more money on big brakes,then you a

aint going to be stopping for long.just my thought,what do yall think?

bondobob
Old 10-07-2004, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't see the point in arguing whichever of the two points you support here; if yu like like riding on the steel rim, then do it. if yu think it's ugly, don't do it.

for those who don't like it look of taking the hubcaps off, when other ppl take them off, it just makes your car look relatively better. this point can be applied conversely.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member

i have to agree, anyone rolling on steel wheels does not have the $$ to buy rims...

period...

and they say all that "personal style" stuff as an excuse when deep down in their hearts they know they would lose them as quickly as possible if the funds were available. all things being equal no one would pass on rims for the standard steel wheel, sorry to bust your bubble.

it is not style, it is what you can afford at the time. if you said that you felt better paying $30 for some chrome lugs and some elbow grease to shine up the wheel, and it looks decent enough to roll on and you saved $450-1000, then i would believe you, anything else is just blowing smoke.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HMMM, Well I hate the WHEEL COVERS that come on the xB. I rippred mine off in the first week. I am not wealthy! If I was I might be in a BMW instead. But I love my box. I look at all theese after market rims and they seem to be a total waste of money to me. So I have purchased some center caps and I am gonna paint them and my steelies and ride those happily. I actually think they add more character to my box. I had to search out a fitting center cap and paint myself! Its customized to MY liking. Its not some tire shop junk rim bought for $500. Yeah they are nice but I like the old steelie style. My income tax check could supply some nice aftermarkets but I think im gonna fix the steel!!!

Quick Reply: To steelie or NOT steelie